Easter Diving Near Nag's Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deyv

Reaction score
I'm coming down there the week after Easter (Apr 10-17) with the Family and girlfriend (non-divers), and I was looking for some dive partners, and/or advice. I know it's gonna be cold, but I'm used to the great lakes, so I do have the heavier suit (but alas, no dry....)

I'm planning on bringing my gear, but need a buddy. anything good we can do from shore? or is it all pretty much charterboats?

TIA,
deyv

Check the other posts in this section for diving ops out of HAtteras. In Nags Head your only two options are diving with Seas Scan or doing shore dives. I don't know if they are running charters in April, but I went out with them on a couple trips last year in July and I thought that they were good people.

They also do guided shore dives to the triangle wrecks and the Huron. The Huron was covered by sand last year, but maybe Isabel cleared it off.

:bounce:

hex92:
In Nags Head your only two options are diving with Seas Scan or doing shore dives.

There is also the OBX Dive Center. They run a very good boat.

They also do guided shore dives to the triangle wrecks and the Huron. The Huron was covered by sand last year, but maybe Isabel cleared it off.
Nope, word is the Huron is still covered but the Triangle Wrecks are fine.

I know that the cold water (42 this morning) probably wouldn't be a problem for a Great Lakes diver, but you'd be lucky if you could even read your gauges in the water off Nags Head any time in the near future. As a general rule in these parts the colder the water, the lower the vis.

Your best bet is to head south to Hatteras and come diving with us. We're in the Gulf Stream, Nags Head is in the Labrador Current. It's amazing what a difference 60 miles can make.

outerbanksdiving@mindspring.com
www.outerbanksdiving.com

I've got no problem driving down to Hatteras, but I don't think I could do it every day (I'd like to get a BUNCH of diving while I'm down there) The biggest problem is that I'm down with the extended family, and NONE of them dive.... So I'll need to buddy up with someone. I've got no problem doing shore dives (hell, they're cheaper...) in nag's head or anywhere nearby.... but again, I need to hook up with someone local.

I went down to Hilton Head Island last October, and hooked up with a couple of locals and did some blackwater (1-2ft vis) diving in the May river looking for fossils. And we had a blast...didn't find anything...but I still got wet.

Don't mind the boat thing, but I'm not sure if enough of you local people will hook up this early in the year to make ity worth their while to go out (or charge 2 people a boatload more!)

well enough of my babbling, I'm gonna be down there on the 10th, If anyone is available to go out (hell, It's been a long winter, I'd be happy if we just head out from shore for a 1/2 tank, then back in the other 1/2) email me through Scubaboard, or try deyv716@hotmail.com.

I'd dive with ya, but I will be in Hatteras the weekend after you leave. Try Sea Scan or the other outfit that Cornfed mentioned in Nags Head. I didn't have a buddy when I went out with SS last year. I dove with the boat's DM on 3 of my 4 dives (went solo on the other).

The second day i dove with Gene on U-85. Great wreck, good buddy, amazing wreck. It was a couple of my best dives from last year (And I hit Morehead, Lauderdale and Key Largo last year).

Have fun.

OK, I showed up here in Nag's Head.... anyone want to try to hook up, I believe the number is 480-2390, we're at 3423 South Virginia Dare Trail.... I'm Dave....Jr depending on who answers the phone. we have cell phones here also:

Area code 716 713-1555, 628-3626..... someone should answer, we're leaving sat the 17th so don't bother calling the cell phones after that

hope to get diving....

Back
Top Bottom