Eating in Bonaire??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is right Rick....sorry!

On the other hand I would like to indulge in some fermented barely beverages once in a while.....not looking for a "club" scene, I am too old for that anyways.....just a nice little watering hole.

Rick Murchison:
Usually there's only time left after the night dive for dinner and bed. Gotta get some rest to be down on the reef for sunrise, don'tchaknow... :)
Rick

Amen, brothers.

But if you wanna gotta have to drink... Isn't there a Caribbean Hedquarters Plant there for "Green Death", Dutch Heinekin?

scubaaaronh:
they have the meat pies for breakfast? Where was that at i'm trying to picture where it is near? We might have to do that on our next trip a couple times.

I would bet they're all over the place.

Just across the Road 100' East from the "Divi Flamingo Dive". Ask around for "Maiky Snak".

Wherever we go, we try to find these joints. On Tobago you knew where the best Hot Roti was by the pack of cars parked in front at odd hours.

once again, y'all... be adventurous!

In regard to places to eat and beer time, while there are many reasonably priced (not much different than costs of nice meals in the US) restraurants that serve fresh seafood, I have one suggestion for simple old fashion BBQ Caribbean style. The Rib Factory downtown in the Mall overlooking the harbor is the best bang for the buck I've found. The full rack of pork ribs was approximately $11 and change last January and are the best ribs I have eaten anywhere (and being from Texas, I eat a lot of BBQ) and are consistently good as I have probably eaten there 10 times on our previous six trips. I usually have left overs for another meal later. Also, try a Polar beer (or two because they come in the little 8oz bottles and cans) although, for some reason I remember that the Rib Factory served them in larger 11 oz bottles. Its a good Venezuelan beer that can not be found in the States. The price of beer is generally a little higher in Bonaire than the US, but it deceiving as I mentioned earlier, most of it is sold in the small 8 oz containers, and so the bar price is about $2 to $2.5 a pop. You can get a case of Polar, Amstel or Heineken for around $20.

For drinking establishments, Karel's Beach Bar out on the pier in front of the Mall is probably the most lively night spot. They have nightly drink specials, as well as live bands on the pier on weekends. Also, this is where the KLM flight attendants hang out after the weekly DC 10 from Holland comes in.

Speaking of which.....should we take our own liquor or buy it there. We are going down in early March and are trying to figure this out. Specifically....Jack Daniels and a good vodka (nothing like a dirty martini while sitting on the beach at sunset). Sometimes easy to find Internationally and sometimes not. It is often rather expensive to buy on location unless they have a duty free store in the airport which I am not sure Bonaire has.

Any recommendations?

What about places to stay? Are there any resorts (AIs) anywhere?

To answer the question regarding any AIs on Bonaire, no. Some of the resorts (i.e. Plaza) have meal plans, but I don't know of a true AI.

As to the question of whether to bring in your own liquor or not? Generally, vodka is easy to find, but probably a bit higher than what you could get at home or in the duty free on the way down. Jack Daniels is in limited availability and expensive. Boubon is almost unknown on Bonaire. A couple bars I've found carry Jim Beam, but thats it and no stores stock boubon of any brand. Thats why when we return in two weeks, I will once again have a fifth of Wellers packed.

We also spent a few nights at the Lions Den Restaurant during our stay at Buddy in November. The food is good, the prices are ok and if you like ales, this is the only place I found to get one. Kirk keeps Old Speckled Hen on hand.

scubaaaronh:
There is an itallion restaurant right by city cafe that was also good. All there pasta is home made but i cant remember the name maybe someone can jump in and help me on that one.

Capriccio, I think. I thought the food was good here (very good wine list), but feels strange to have Italian when you're in the islands (especially when you are a Jersey Italian girl yourself :wink: )

I would check out Wil's Grill. In the center of town, so doesn't have the great view like Richard's, but best meal we had of the week by far. Chocolate lava torte..... ohhh it's good. Good drinks, too.

We enjoyed Rose Inn in Rincon for lunch, but this place is very local and maybe not for everyone. Goat Stew... mmmm...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom