Egypt Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been watching since the speeches started. This is a bad day for Egypt. These demonstrations were organised by Egyptians for Egyptians, before the Western media even knew about it.

Now Mubarak is saying that this is all some sort of conspiracy led by the US. Many Egyptians are not well educated, but they are not stupid, and for the president to come out and say that everybody is being influenced by outside powers is patronising and condescending. The protesters have been told to go home, go back to work (literally) and trust to their leaders to guide them towards transition. My blood is boiling, and I'm a foreigner.

Everybody is shouting "tomorrow" - Friday - and after prayers...? The protests got bigger after the president's last speech - after 17 days, they are calling for millions tomorrow. I doubt very much that people are going to pack up and go home after giving up so much so far, and once again, we are left with the thought that this will turn very nasty indeed.

The army is still the deciding factor and they have said they will work for the people. If the protest get violent, perhaps they will simply do nothing and let the people have their way in the same way that Ceausescu was overthrown in Romania. Maybe they will turn their guns on their family and friends. Mubarak after all has just used the same line that he will work for the people.

We see what happens tonight and tomorrow. I'm gutted.

C,

Our thoughts and prayers with all of you and our heroic Egyptian brothers!!! I hope that I will be able to manage, time wise, to come and dive with you. You'll have to make sure that I get to dive with the "absolutely stunningly gorgeous young lady"!!!!!

Hang in there, knowing what I know about our brothers in Egypt, they are mature people and I don't think that the country will do any worse than what they have now. The current regime is trying to use fear to subdue the uprising by talking about "civil war" etc. Egyptians are too smart and well educated to fall for that crap.

Please do keep us updated. As we say in Arabic, "Salaam Alkikum, May Allah be with you"!!

Last edited:
well said crowley

what a shame pal

all the trouble that will happen now is sickening to think of

i am hoping to go to dahab for a few days at the end of the month, as long as the plane takes off from manchester i'm there

The dictator has left to Sharm. I wonder if he going to escape to Israel from there. That would be ironic.

What has Israel got to do with this anyway? I can only tell that the affairs in Egypt were covered in the news probably just like in any other country in the world. And YES, people are concerned here in Israel as to who is going to be Mubarak's successor not because they love him in particular, but because they don't want Egypt to go down in anarchy or to become something like Iran of 1979- just like most of the world and I hope also most the people in Egypt share the same vision and hopes.

People in Israel actually like Egypt and Egyptians, and for the last few decades the two countries do live in peace from which both countries (and to some extent also cultures) benefit.

People in Israel did like Mubarak- not because he was a dictator but because he represented a friendly neighbor country- just as Anwar El Sadat before him- they like the Egyptian ambassador, the Egyptian consul- and for that matter- any Egyptian that they happen to know.

People in Israel also like Egyptian food, they like to travel to Egypt because it is a beautiful, interesting and amazing country (and culture- it is linked together for some millenia).

For many years Egyptian movies were screened every Friday and lots of Israelis liked them (I used to see them as a kid with all the children from school), just as well as musicians like Farid al Atrash or singers like Umm Kulthum (regardless of her political agenda).

So what does it make the people in Israel, who love all these aspects of Egypt, its culture and Egyptian people?

Jai Bar,

What does your speech have anything to do with what I said? Mubarak is on the run and doesn't have too many places to hide. The only other place outside Egypt and is next to Sharm is Israel. It would be convenient for him to run there. There isn't any hidden meaning in what I said.

Why are you so sensitive about it, I didn't say anything about your liking Egyptian food, Egyptian dictators or anything of that sort. I don't care.

Please don't make it about you or Israel, this isn't the place or the time. Let the Egyptians enjoy their victory.

Rumour has it that Mubarak is now in Abu Dhabi according to two Jordanians I spoke with today .... better than Tel Aviv I guess :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom