Egypt - We Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hurghada is more "touristy" and crowded, more to do but more people who do it. Lots of germans and russians. "Daytripping" is crowded and IMO some of the divesites are a bit rundown. Of course, if you´re both relatively new it may not bother you that much.
I liked www.emperordivers.com but I don´t think there are many bad centers there as competition is fierce.

Dahab is more relaxed and you can set the pace so if you just want to do one or two dives in a day you can do that but you could also get in as many as four, especially if you keep it shallow...if you don´t want to dive for a day you´ll propably need to do an "excursion" but because you decide you could propably do a half day or get a dive in once you get back...more flexible and less "stress"...

I still think Dahab is the best place for you to go to. Since you're going there as a couple, you'll find it's even more romantic, with much less hassle from shop owners.

Beside diving, one can visit monastery of St. Catherine and Colored Canyon on Sinai, go windsurfing or on a quad bike safari... all worth a trip. Also, you can visit the Giza plateau pyramids, Sharm El Sheikh...plus, there's plenty of restaurants and small shops in Dahab itself.

If you decide to go that route I would recommend contacting our very own SBer - Red Sea Shadow or you can contact very pleasant and professional dive center: Sub Sinai. Ask for Gabi.

But, Hurghada shouldn't disappoint either. If you go there - ask for either Emperor Divers that Grazie suggested (also nice and pleasant people, plenty of British nationals so you'll feel at home - ask for Ingrid) or I would also recommend Seafari Divers - ask for Jacopo.

Another really good diving centre I can reccomend in Hurghada is Colona Divers (Magawish Hotel) owned by Swedish guys with as a matter of fact - few Poles working there as instructors or DMs.

Mania

hey;
Again whatever u choose u need to visit the other another time.
My opinion

Dahab:
Relaxed and laid back, cheaper, better diving, u can go to sharm and come back get to see most of Sinai, mainly shore diving, not your typical resort destination, less luxury though, some dive sites could be very crowded but again u can just go to another one they are close to each other.

Hurghada:
bigger city, more luxury hotels with all the added benefits, u can go to the temples in south of Egypt. mainly boat diving. Night life is better if ur not into diving u have more options in Hurghada

I would pick Dahab it's different

thanks all for great advise - we're set on going to Dahab. So many recommendations... now, the only problem is to try find a flight down! Waiting late... seems I'm paying the price of risk that .... all sold out! yuck. Hope she won't divorce me.... *S*

scoufr:
thanks all for great advise - we're set on going to Dahab. So many recommendations... now, the only problem is to try find a flight down! Waiting late... seems I'm paying the price of risk that .... all sold out! yuck. Hope she won't divorce me.... *S*
Check for flights to Sharm or Taba, both are pretty close to Dahab. Just be careful of the visas when you land. I know at Taba you get a Sinai visa unless you ask, and pay for a full Egypt one. This is only an issue if you plan to travel to Cairo to see the Pyramids etc., or elsewhere out of the Sinai.

I am off to Egypt next week.

I have 3 dive days in dahab. Cannot wait.
I have 2 dive days spare. Should i head to Sharm or Niemba.

I have dived Sharm before (Jan 07). Shark reef & Yal was amazing.
If i head back to Sharm i have to do a check /shore dive at Camel.
How does the diving at Niemba compare to Sharm(Ras M)

Thanks

You shouldn't have to do a check dive if you've been diving two days earlier in Dahab, especially as you're AOW.

@scoufr: great decision, I'm sure you'll like Dahab and please write a trip report when you get back :)

@Kevster: I haven't been to Niemba, but if you go to Sharm - Thistlegorm and Ras Mohamed are must see! On the other hand, Dahab has more than enough diving sites to fill up whatever spare days you might have. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom