Electonic Log Books Not Accepted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I don't understand the importance of the dive logs. My instructor and several folks since then have told me they are for my personal reference, not to prove I can dive. They are my memories of the places, people and my enjoyment. Now I am all for showing your c card and then if that is not enough you can do some check out skills for them before you go out. That should suffice for the CYA for them. If any other flak was given I would take my money to another shop.

Umm...

As your contemplating entering into a contractual arrangement wherein they seem to feel some legal or policy obligation to validate your creditals... I figure that it would only be fair for you to do likewise... therefore I would suggest that you:

1: Ask to see the log books of all diving personel the company is providing on the trip.
2: Ask to see any information the company may have relevant to accidents on their watch.
3: Ask to see their proof of insurance, limits and proof of currancy.
4: Ask to speak to their insurance rep to validate their claims.

Tell them that it is YOUR policy so as to assure yourself of their capabilities and level of qualifications to provide the service they claim to be able to provide. DO NOT ACCEPT electronic or facsimile documents... insist on originals only. Just 'cause it says "PADI" or "SSI" or anything else on the front door isn't PROOF they are what they claim... any you're putting yourself in THEIR hands when you sign up with them... shouldn't you be allowed validation they're qualified???

... just a though...

5: I'd also ask to see maintenance records on any equipment you may rent... service records on the vessel... and a certified copy of the vessel's last safety inspection.

Now... you and I both know you won't get any of this... but it would be fun to see the look on their face. ... and, one has to ask... "Why should I have to prove to you things you expect me to take on faith?"

Hummm....

Get a cheep log book and make it out to show a years worth of diving but just don't put any years on it. Then you will always have a log book to show you diving over the last 12 months. Ya it is fake, justlike most of the others.

A hint; If you show up with no gear or gear that is brand new, you will be put into the jerk catagory till you prove otherwise no matter your cards or logbook.

... and then ya' could ask to see when the last time their compressor wuz' checked out... and any relevant air quality records... ;-)

You wouldn't be a PADI cert diver using a PADI dive center would ya'? That could create all kinds of interesting questions...

Nautical Dreamer:
I am visiting the Caribbean for work this week and stopped by the PADI hut at the resort to get some information about their dive operation. I explained that I had my C-card and regulators with me but no other equipment.

The DM I talked to asked me if I had my log book. I explained that I only maintain my logs on the computer but could print out a table of my past 60 dives that contains all the same information as a typical log book. I was told that it is company policy that standard paper log book....
Didn't I read in a post by you yesterday that you kept you last dozen or so dives logged in a garden variety pocket sized notebook until you could transfer them to you computer? And this notebook contained all the relevant and required info? And it's back in your hotel room?
[/quote] Has any one else ran into a similar problem?[/quote] Probably, but not me; I travel with all gear so that may be why. BTW, I carry just a printout: date, site, Op if not on my boat, Dry/Wet, Solo or buddy's name, N2 %, depth/duration. And, I agree with most other posts about the "paper" log requirement being a scam.

J.R.:
Umm...

As your contemplating entering into a contractual arrangement wherein they seem to feel some legal or policy obligation to validate your creditals... I figure that it would only be fair for you to do likewise... therefore I would suggest that you:

1: Ask to see the log books of all diving personel the company is providing on the trip.
2: Ask to see any information the company may have relevant to accidents on their watch.
3: Ask to see their proof of insurance, limits and proof of currancy.
4: Ask to speak to their insurance rep to validate their claims.

Tell them that it is YOUR policy so as to assure yourself of their capabilities and level of qualifications to provide the service they claim to be able to provide. DO NOT ACCEPT electronic or facsimile documents... insist on originals only. Just 'cause it says "PADI" or "SSI" or anything else on the front door isn't PROOF they are what they claim... any you're putting yourself in THEIR hands when you sign up with them... shouldn't you be allowed validation they're qualified???

... just a though...

5: I'd also ask to see maintenance records on any equipment you may rent... service records on the vessel... and a certified copy of the vessel's last safety inspection.

Now... you and I both know you won't get any of this... but it would be fun to see the look on their face. ... and, one has to ask... "Why should I have to prove to you things you expect me to take on faith?"

Hummm....

I really like this answer. I have never had this problem, but have heard of it. I like putting the shoe on their foot and seeing how they respond. Because you know in a foreign country it would be quite easy to open a dive shop and throw some dive organization stuff up and claim your a legit and safe shop. If you try this approach I would love to hear how it goes. If you handle it correctly I can see it making them realize how truly stupid their policy is; that is unless they are simply using it to fleece tourists out of an extra $20.

Or, playing the devils advocate, they accepted some card clowns assertion that they were qualified then got nothing but grief when the shark bait got him (or her) self into trouble. So now they ask you to prove you have at least a few dives logged. Sounds prudent to me, but they should have told you in advance.

I would accept electronic logs if I were them however.

I keep a log both paper and electronic and post them online in PDF form at my site. I have never been asked for them but have them just in case.

Talking here about what you could ask or tell the dive shop is fun, but the OP has said he doesn't want to get on their bad side as he may be doing much more diving in the area and they may be the only game in town. So, as much as it's wrong in principle, it may be most strategic to just pay the $20 for the checkout and move on.

You could always deduct it out of their would-be tips later. :D

Ya really wanna play with their heads, fax them your log pages for the last year, them copy them and send them to the shop, "Return Reciept Requested", when you show up to dive, show them the return receipt as proof they got it. just my 2psi worth.

Jim Fish

Back
Top Bottom