Electonic Log Books Not Accepted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you could make a couple of fake (or real?) log book pages and keep them with your gear, just in case dive operations ask for this.

I guess they wouldn't take my thumb drive... That's where I usually carry my log book.

In many years of diving I have never been asked to show my dive log. Most often the dive shop does not to make the decision that you are qualified for a dive so they leave it up to you.

I have been asked how many dives I have done and on occasion asked to do a few skills, usually a mask clear and regulator recovery, but never charged for it.

Cheekymonkey:
except for the fact that hand written does not make it a valid log

And also, a log of any kind doesn't really prove anything about skills...

Karibelle:
And also, a log of any kind doesn't really prove anything about skills...
In my experience, neither does a certification card !

Bubble Junky:
In my experience, neither does a certification card !

ah, "it's funny because it's true."

kari

So hey everyone, I'm going to fill out a paper logbook and then make a bunch of copies at kinko's. For $5 I'll mail you a logbook, just tell me how many dives you want and what type, ie: night, cave, tech, rec, etc. I'll copy one of my many versions of logbooks and then you can take it on vacation to show the places that you have good, solid diving experience. Since it's paper, they'll never guess that it's fake!

I never bring my paper log book, for fear of losing it in some out of the way place. I just bring blank pages to fill out while I'm there. I thought a c-card was all that was required at a dive shop. Could you please tell us where this shop is located so we'll all bring our "book" (or not) if we go there!!!?? Thanks

Nautical Dreamer:
I am visiting the Caribbean for work this week and stopped by the PADI hut at the resort to get some information about their dive operation. I explained that I had my C-card and regulators with me but no other equipment.

The DM I talked to asked me if I had my log book. I explained that I only maintain my logs on the computer but could print out a table of my past 60 dives that contains all the same information as a typical log book. I was told that it is company policy that standard paper log book be presented or pool checkout dive costing $20 must be made prior to registering for open water dive. I asked if I could make a call to my local dive shop and have them vouch for me. I was told that this would not be acceptable and that they needed to see a paper log book.

Has any one else ran into a similar problem?
Try this...

Make them an offer to take their $20 checkout, but if you pass with flying colors as you expect that you will. They will credit the $20 towards the rest of your diving.

Be patient with them, they probably want to see a log book (paper in their case) to verify that you have recent experience in conditions at least similar or more challenging to those you will be in when you dive with them. Be clear that you feel that your electronic log book should demonstrate this recent experience. Since they want paper instead of electronic offer to work with them, but only if they work with you. Be polite, be courteous, but be clear that you feel that you already meet their requirement.

If they resist I would look elsewhere, if they accept your proposal you should be able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

I will admit that if I were in your shoes I would be pretty miffed, but if they own the boat, and all the rest of the dive gear you want to use, you will need to work with them. Even if you are right and they are wrong, you just might find yourself sitting on the sidelines while others get to dive.

Mark Vlahos

highlandfarmwv:
I never bring my paper log book, for fear of losing it in some out of the way place. I just bring blank pages to fill out while I'm there. I thought a c-card was all that was required at a dive shop. Could you please tell us where this shop is located so we'll all bring our "book" (or not) if we go there!!!?? Thanks

I do not want to post anything further negative till I speak to someone else. It looks like they may be the only game in town. they self claim to be the only nitrox fill in the area.

I plan on being firm with my position, and emphaise that there is high chance that I will become more than just a tourist that will get on plane in a few days that they will never hear from again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom