Electronic Dive Log vs. Paper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, I'm thinking about my upcoming trip to Mexico and looking at my rather large dive log sitting here. It's big and heavy - and has some 90 pages (45 two-sided pages) of log info it in (small 3-ring binder type log). I'm also thinking about airline BS weight limits and other BS.

Given that the pages in my dive log are printed out from the computer - and I have all of those pages individually in PDF form (so, 90 some files), I was thinking that rather than bring them in printed form, I could bring them on CD and/or jump drive. If someone in whatever dive operator I end up using wanted to see my log book, I could just give them the CD and/or jump drive to check out the PDF files - and maybe just bring my last few dives in printed form (along with cert cards, of course).

I realize that technology availability varies throughout the world - but surely I'm not the only one to think this up, and even basic operators that I would use can be counted on to read a PDF file? Right? Is my plan gonna fly?

Thanks!
nd

The bad news is that the dive operators won't be set up to read your dive log in pdf form.

The good news is that they don't care to see it in any form. :D

It's very rare for a resort type dive operator to want to see a log. They may ask you your certification level, how many lifetime dives, and when was your last dive, but it is very rare to ask for a dive log.

Some operators in the Florida Keys want to see either some deep dives in a divelog or an AOW or Rescue cert card before taking you out to some of the wrecks, but that's the only place I've run into that sort of thing.

Call the resort, ask what the req's are. You may be able to email them ahead of time.

I would imagine it would be enough if you showed them your previous X number of dives in your computer log. I've never been on a boat where they asked me to produce a dive log, but if they did, I'd have all those in my computer. You could also print off your most recent ten dive profiles and show them that you've been diving recently and have been to whatever depth it is that you've been to.

I'm with Dave, though....I'd call and ask what the requirements are, because it'd be a real shame if they don't let you do the dives you want to because you don't have the proper documentation.

I've been going to Mexico quite a bit over the last few years and have never been asked to see my log.
Most operations want to see your skills in the water before going on the more challenging dives.
Doesn't much matter what certs or log you have.
I use to think they were just out for an extra buck.
Then I witnessed one of the nightmares
that they intend to weed out with this process.
In an attempt to cut out bogus costs I generally work a deal with them to do a check out for free if I pass, or I'll pay double if I don't.
They usually go for it if the boat and Instructor/DM are already going out.
This guy had a DM card but could barely perform as an OW student.
His log had over 500 dives.....LOL....And what an air hog!!!!
I've never seen anyone suck down a tank as fast as this guy.

I realize that paper log books can be bogus. But all of my dives are signed by my dive buddy. Sure, the signature could be bogus but at least the record looks good. Further, all the training dives have a large NAUI stamp next to the instructor's signature and number. And yes, I carry my log books in my dive bag.

To me, computer logs don't have that kind of validation. There's certainly no 'signature' from a dive buddy. Were I a dive operator, I would give any credence to a computer logbook.

But then, I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at paper log books either. The checkout dive is the way I would run my business.

Richard

I would imagine it would be enough if you showed them your previous X number of dives in your computer log. I've never been on a boat where they asked me to produce a dive log, but if they did, I'd have all those in my computer. You could also print off your most recent ten dive profiles and show them that you've been diving recently and have been to whatever depth it is that you've been to.

I'm with Dave, though....I'd call and ask what the requirements are, because it'd be a real shame if they don't let you do the dives you want to because you don't have the proper documentation.

That sounds like a good idea. Since your log pages and dives are numbered, you can prolly just copy and bring the last 10-15 pages ?

Give him the stack and when he sees your last dive was dive #420, he'll get the idea?

If I was the operator, I would request and pool session for all, since you don't know about those vacation divers.....but then again you are Mexico. They don't care.....

I realize that paper log books can be bogus. But all of my dives are signed by my dive buddy. Sure, the signature could be bogus but at least the record looks good. Further, all the training dives have a large NAUI stamp next to the instructor's signature and number. And yes, I carry my log books in my dive bag.

To me, computer logs don't have that kind of validation. There's certainly no 'signature' from a dive buddy. Were I a dive operator, I would give any credence to a computer logbook.

But then, I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at paper log books either. The checkout dive is the way I would run my business.

Richard

Richard,
The reason for the signature was to validate that you actually did the dive. The download from the computer validates that at least the computer did the dive. You are right about the bogus signatures. Since 1976 I have never been asked to see my dive log, matter of fact in 1987 after about 800 dives I quit filling out the paper log book. So for years no record and no problem Then I bought a computer for a trip. Now I use my computer download. I really like it and it provides a ton of good information. For one I am kinda a dinosaur, never did safety stops, come up slower than smallest bubble, that was my training and I have never had an issue. However diving the computer I now have drastically changed my ascent rate and do safety stops. Looking at the graphics of the dive on my computer showed me in an illustrative fashion my problem areas. I also carry my laptop with me on trips so if the need arises I have a log book.

I ran into a variation of this problem, in Mexico, a year ago. After very carefully packing EVERYTHING, we left, got to a friend's house to carpool to the airport. While waiting there we remembered what we had forgotten -- our C-Cards! We quickly called the housesitter, had her find the cards, put them in the scanner and then emailed them to us and got them saved as JPEGs. I then loaded them onto a chip and put the chip into my camera.

When the dive op asked to see my cards I just reviewed the images on the chip and showed them the cards.

There is no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with your dive log (if you want). Convert the PDF's to JPEGs, load them onto your camera chip and there you have it -- your electronic, and personal and portable, dive log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom