Elphinstone and the brothers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACT: Aug/Spe 09 - you missed the tigers by 4-5 weeks.... :(
(we missed them by 2)

This was more of an excursion-holiday trip for people working in Dahab and som DMTs just finished their course... I would of course not recommend any "tourists" travelling to Dahab taking the trip to Marsa from Dahab... but we wanted to get away and see some new sites... nice to see something new for a change... you do get tired of the sites in Dahab eventually.. and its nice to drive around the coast and see the different places..

We only had time for two early morning dives at elphinstone, and only saw one shark /(then again; how often do you see a shark in Dahab????), some of the other sites was also quite dissaponting, like Abu Dabbab, there were no turtles, guitar sharks, or dugongs there... we spent 70 minutes zigzagging shallow and searched the place systematically, saw nothing but seagrass... actually the house reef at Shargra was one of the best sites... but the reefs are more healthy and the density of life is higher in Marsa, to my opinion. Also, the sites are to some degree at least visited by more experienced divers so one is more "free" to do what one want..

If you go to Hurghada (and have dived a majority of the sites there before), and you have the time (4 days extra, what ever) my opinion is that you should definately take the trip to Marsa if you have not been there before... it is the best diving in the red sea in my opinion.. but then again its "all about diving" down there as far as I could tell, no hed kandi, no marina, no buddha bar, no pacha, no restaurants, live bands, traffic and "city life"... only diving, eating, sleeping at well organized resorts..

I loved the current at Elphinstone.. but then again I like the currents in the Phillipines too..

No, stronger than elphinstone, often downcurrents or washing machines. Many times you miss the divesite (especially if it is a pinnacle with a 15-20 meters blue water entry), regardless the experience of the guide...

Hold on to your mask, it can be blown of your face! Dont be surprised if you see your bubbles going downwards! Always bring gloves, be prepared to do some horizonal mountainclimbing while seeking shelter from rock to rock as you work your way back to the shore reef...

I'm no expert in meassuring speeds, but some says its 4-6 knots.... I have never ever experienced anything like this is the red sea. I guess its the lack of tidal currents. The tide tables are essential (but not nessercarily thrustworthy) in planning which sites to guide in the phillipines.

In addition: The titans in the red sea are very kind, compared to the phillipines: in the phillipines they attack much more often, regardless of nesting season.

Verde Island and The canyons in Puerto Galera are famous for leading divers to get picked up hours and many kilometers away from the divesite on the surface.. a quality big SMB is highly recommended.. that being said, a good local guide will be able to take you the sites at times when the current is weaker, most of the times. its as Jack Jackson says: High Voltage diving"

The current also shifts with the depth. You can do a drift starting "deep" at 20-25 meters, drifting south, then as you ascend to 15-10 meters the current changes to the north, taking you back to the boat again! Nice :) This way you get to see a lot of the reef and using very little air and energy... you just fly :D

No, I know that there are 3-4 sites involved in it. LBC ( Big Laguna Dive Centre) is doing courses, Simon is the CD running it. Al ot of Koreans go there for tech dives. They seem to like all the electronic gadgets... The currents do however limit the possibilities... many do advanced nitrox though....

Frank Doyle is also involved in tech.... he assited the world record some years ago... I dont know many technical dovers though... I limit myself to 50 meters.... plenty of depth for me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom