Embarrassing and/or clever diving stories.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backroll off of boat in Bonaire. All gear in place, air on, camera secure, mask on, splash and am getting nowhere. Helps to put fins on. Best part was one other guy in our group did it the next day. BTW this was a month ago, we do our instructor's exam in about 3 weeks.

Back in 89 I was doing my 1st cert open water dive in lake Wilson Kansas. Maybe 1 foot vis (brown and gritty water). The instructor told us to desend to 15 feet and look for a cage platform form with a railing. Hang on to the railing and we will get you into the cage area to do your open water skill. Ok, NO PROBLEM. I drop down to 15 feet, looking for a "line" in this brown water, and there it is. I grab it and expect to pull myself to it. Instead it comes to me. I'm thinking what the hell????? I pull a little more and a little more, next thing I know air is coming out of the line... I had pulled some guys reg out of his mouth and it was free flowing. I lean in real close and can see the shape of someone looking all around for the missing reg. I tried to give it back, but he surfaced. I then saw the line we were to hang on to. I just hung on thinking....I just flunked that class. :eek:) At the surface the guy never knew what happened. He was like, one minute I'm breathing and the next no reg.

:rofl3:

It is good to know that I am not alone.

cookie-1.gif
to everyone for sharing, thank you!

When diving in Jamaica, one of the people left behind their fins, which wasn't noticed until we got out to the dive site via boat ride. So back we went. Then we go back to the dive site and another guy is like "I forgot my camera!" He was OK with not going back for it, but then the dive master says "Well, we're going back to shore again." We're all like "you have to be kidding me. We're going back for a camera?!"

Turns out we were going back for the divemaster's mask which was sitting on the edge of the dock where he set it when he ran to grab the fins for the other person. (we left all "non-essentials" back at the shop because of space concerns) :)

--Shannon

My husband was in charge of packing up our gear from our hotel room for our morning dive. We get to the boat in the Keys and he realized our boots were sitting outside our room drying still. It was too close to departure to run back and no one had spare boots or spare full foot fins that fit (ours were open heel). My bare foot alone was way to small to fit in my fin pocket. On the way to the dive site we realized out Teva sandals fit perfectly in the pocket of the fin. The strap of the fin could lay perfectly on the Teva strap so there was no pain or blister issue.

We ended up diving the Spiegel Grove with Teva sandals inside fins. Others on the boat looked at our feet kind strange but thought we meant to dive that way since it worked and fit so well.

Miranda

Once while diving in the Keys (maybe two years ago) I did a few days worth of dives, then took a break and the next day I spent at the "beach" with my wife (and of course I took my mask, snorkel, and fins...) I was doing a little freediving behind some rocks where I saw some shadows down below, About the third of fourth time down, I (not thinking) took a breath from my snorkel (at about 15 feet) The mouthful of water made me quickly aware that I wasn't using a reg...I usually used my "dry" snorkel which closes shut when you try to breathe in at any depth, but this time I just used the "tube" I use (well used to use) when diving...

Other than that...just bungy-ing myself to the boat after a surface interval!

Embarrasing = I was back on our boat, my buddy in the water took off his fins and put them on board, then took off his weightbelt and looked up in surprise as the current took him swiftly away from the boat. (I am good with a heaving line!)

We dove in a new place on the last weekend of lobster season. It was a daylight dive, so we weren't expecting to see any bugs. We came across a little cave STUFFED with lobsters. No point in bothering them without a game bag or (more importantly) a gauge to measure them for legal size.
We continued our dive and about 100 feet away I saw some mesh sticking out of the sand. Grab it and pull, what do you know?? A game bag! Shake the sand out and what is left in the bottom of the bag? A lobster gauge!
We quickly swam back and found the cave, and out of 10 lobsters in there, 4 were legal. Yum! -N

Florida Keys - My daughter was busy getting certified with two other friends. So, me and two other dive buddies decided to rent a boat and go do some diving on our own. One guy had a bad sinus infection so he was the "boat tender" while me and Mike dove.

We rented the boat the night before, road around the local area for a bit and decided to get an early morning dive in since it was a busy weekend. We were the first boat to tie off. All was going great, we were only at about 20-25 fsw and 88 deg water temp. Our bottom time was significant. We were down close to an hour and decided to surface and head back to the boat. As it was a "busy weekend" there were several more boats out on the water. We spotted our boat which was about 40 yards away and made a B-line to it. We were talking about the dive and things we saw and trying to decide where to go next... I started climbing up on the boat, saw Jerry sacked out up on the bow of the boat as I was helping Mike get up on the boat. We took off our fins and then realized we were on the wrong boat. "Jerry" wakes up and it's not Jerry. Silence for a 1/2 a moment between us all. The guy was startled for a moment and starts laughing... I look at Mike and say "I won't tell anyone if you don't."

This story involved two guys, a cave, a drysuit and a dog.

This guy I know was very new with his drysuit. Just bought it. He loves cave diving and one time with his then regular buddy they were diving a low flow system. All is well until a certain point in the dive, where the said diver going up a slope could not vent gas out of the valve.

He was stuck on the ceiling.

The buddy had to 'bounce' the diver along the ceiling of the passage like a balloon. Until they came to realize that they could vent from the neck seal. These were very new drysuit divers and really were focussed on the task at hand...... bounce the Michelin man. At certain points it was even graceful, like a ballet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom