Embarrassing and/or clever diving stories.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On one of our checkout dives out of Panama City Beach, FL, we had a Rescue diver checking out. He did a giant stride and immediately surfaced and headed to the back of the boat. Seems he lost *both* his mask and his weight belt on that entry. One of the crew bounced for it, which saved his dive, if not his pride.

Obviously, as he was doing a Rescue checkout, we had to give him plenty of good-natured ribbing. While he certainly took it well (and turned several shades of red), he was not to suffer alone. Later that same weekend, his dad (who was really enjoying teasing him) surfaced on the wrong boat. When he broke the surface and saw the wrong name on the back of the boat, he knew his turn had come. (They're both great guys, by the way, and I'd dive with them without a second thought.)

As for me, I've done the walk back to the car a couple times. At one quarry, I was all the way down from the rim to the entry point, when I realized I'd left my fins at the table. Someone offered to retrieve them for me, but I declined and said that climbing the stairs back to the bench was reasonable penance and should help ensure it doesn't happen again. :biggrin:

The best "Aw, nuts..." moment I've had recently was in our first DM pool session. I'd washed and dried all my "pool" gear so I'd be in prime condition for the night. I even tossed *both* sets of booties into my boat bag, just in case I'd want to use the older pair. Then I meticulously loaded the gear bin in the back of my car. When we got to the LSU Nat that evening, I went to toss everything into the boat bag while we waited for the swimmers and divers to finish.

I'm sure everyone sees where this is going.

Yes, indeedy. The boat bag was not present. It was, in point of fact, sitting quite despondently in the carport, having missed the first real opportunity to be useful it had seen in some time. Thankfully, while it was certainly despondent, it was not lonely. Both pairs of booties were there to keep it company.

With rising trepidation, I scoured the back of my vehicle to see what I might bodge together to fill in for the missing booties. I checked my fins to see if they'd work on bare feet. (They would not.) My flip-flop-style sandals were also of little, if any, utility. For the first time in memory, my spring straps became a curse instead of a blessing, as they were not short enough to hold my fins on without foot coverings of some sort or other. If there had been time, I would have dashed home to grab what I had forgotten, but alas, it was about that moment when the doors began to open to release the night's former swimmers.

With time rapidly spilling into a puddle of frustration, I redoubled my efforts to find a solution. Finally, just as the big red LED clock was about to hit all zeroes and blow the night to smithereens, eureka! I had found it! The solution to my woes. Yes, there in the back of my car were a smashed and torn up old pair of $7 Walmart slippers!

I accepted without complaint the cold feet. I did not spite the fins for being somewhat floppy. I did not cry for the blisters and raw spots I would certainly have by the end of the night. No, I exulted in the fact that I had, by virtue of not having tossed the things out last camping trip, saved my dive night in perhaps the most outlandish manner possible.

The slippers worked, and we accomplished all we had to do that night, but I dare say I may be remembered for some time as the diver who saved his night by diving in a pair of shabby old brown corduroy slippers. :D

On my checkout dive, the class was assembled around the perimeter of the training platform. Their was a bowling ball on the bottom of the quarry that the instructor picked up and we all took turns gently tossing it back and forth to each other. In an attempt to calm any new diver nerves. When I caught the ball, I decided to 'throw it long' to another diver in the class. A little to much oomph and the ball careened to the right....towards a divemaster not looking towards the oncoming projectile. KONK! i hit him in the head. He was ok and there were no lasting bruises (other than my ego).

I was taking my AOW class in a quarry, and one of the dives was a navigation dive. The reg the shop had rented me did not have a compass. I borrowed one from one of the divemasters. It did not have a wrist boot, and I think the plastic thing it was attached to was meant to be clipped to something. Anyway, he put it on my inflator hose to make sure I didn't lose it.

We get into the water, I swim my square with my buddy, and am hanging out on the surface. Another buddy team realizes they don't have a compass either. So, a different DM unclips my hose, hands them the compass, and off they go. We hang out on the surface until each team has done the underwater navigation, and then we're all going to drop together to do some other drills. I let the air out of my BC and descend, and hit the bottom @ 20' (there's an algae bloom so the viz is literally 3-5 feet, and I can't see the bottom clearly when it's at my knees). I realize I hit a little hard, so I'm a little negative, and I need to inflate my BC a bit. I hit the button... nothing. I hit the button again... nothing. I signal to my buddy to surface and up we go (luckily I'm a really strong swimmer). The DM surfaces and asks why we surfaced, and sees I'm swimming to stay up. He says inflate your BC and relax and I say I can't, that's the problem.

Well, then he manually inflates my BC.

That was a bit embarassing, I really should have thought of that.

The funniest thing happened to me when I bought my wetsuit.
I was trying out a suit before buying... and the leg won't fit in. So me and the DM apply some force to it, and finally it's trough.
But! I've got my leg trough the arm of the suit... taking it out was even harder.

Speaking of compass swims ...

On my AOW my instructor gave me the sign to do the preliminary compass swim for 30 fin cycles flashing 10 fingers 3 times to indicate 30. Of course, noob me was thinking in magnitudes of ten (10 fingers 3 times would indicate 300 bar) so I set off to do my 300 fin cycles.

:D

Needless to say I eventually stopped and thought about what I was doing and tried to kick myself underwater for being a :dork2: But since this was at 100 fin cycles, by the time that I got back the rest had given up on me and left to do the rest of the exercises! They reckoned I had gone to infiltrate the navy (who have a base right next door to the dive site)!

Boy, that trudge back up the beach to wait for them was embarrassing. :new_puppy

Needless to say, this story gets told to all of the OW students doing their first compass swims. Nothing like getting a laugh at the expense of your dear old DM is there? :lotsalove:

The funniest thing happened to me when I bought my wetsuit.
I was trying out a suit before buying... and the leg won't fit in. So me and the DM apply some force to it, and finally it's trough.
But! I've got my leg trough the arm of the suit... taking it out was even harder.

Yeah, try doing this in the shop in front of God and everyone! I had my bikini on, so figured I'd just try the wet suit on really quick without bothering to go to the dressing rooms. My self-depreciating laughter had attracted quite a little audience who offered encouragement whilst I struggled to get my heel back out through the wrist opening! Fun times!

I'm still pretty new to diving, but made a real dumb mistake when descending. When we all descended, I noticed that my regulator was really hard to breathe through. It felt like it did in class when the instructor shut off our air to show us what it felt like to be out of air. After about my fourth breath, I decided that I needed to resurface and see what was wrong with my air supply, but at that very moment, I got a mouth full of salt water.

I immediately realized that I never switched from my snorkel to my regulator. :dork2: After doing the giant step entry with my regulator, I used my snorkel to swim around the boat to the where the group was going to descend. I figured it was a way to save my air for the dive. My snorkel is a semi-dry model, not dry, so I am not sure how I got four breaths before it flooded.

Thankfully, nobody noticed and, being new to diving, I was happy that I did not panic when it flooded. I just put in my regulator and purged my mouthful of salt water. I doubt I'll make that mistake again!

My big "OOOPS" was during our dive trip to Cozumell.... We all kit-up on the boat, and we're ready to flip into the water. Grab my mask with one hand, pop in my reg, and over I go... Suddenly, I realise, as I'm falling towards the water, that I'm getting no air from my reg! :11:

Hit the water, and quickly swim back up to the surface.... Get oriented with my dive group, and my buddy asks me, if we are ready to descend. I had to ask him, in front of the whole group, ... "Ummm, John.... Will you turn my AIR on???"

Seems I had forgotten to re-open my tank, after setting up my gear... :dork2:

I am probably more of a scuba diver than a freediver, but have been doing both for a long time. I was doing some freedive spearfishing in around 60 feet one day and was feeling especially comfortable.

On one particular dive, I swam down to about 50 feet and started to gently swim with the current about 10 feet above the reef. Even though I was horizontal and swimming, I was still sinking and more negative than I wanted. I reached over and kept fumbling but could not find my power inflator on my BC. I was doing it by touch, and kept swimming but after 4-5 tries to locate the hose I was becoming increasingly agitated that I couldn't do it by touch. I never have to look for my inflator, it is always in the exact same spot, held on my shoulder straps by elastic bands.

I stopped swimming and looked down and directed all my attention to looking for the inflator, it was not until that moment that I realized I was freediving, had no air to breath and had no BC or scuba gear on.

I thought it was hilarious that I could be that comfortable (and stupid) 50 feet down.

not to many dives under my belt yet but I'll take a shot...diving at blue springs this weekend we were coming up to our 15ft stop and Im a noob to the hole so I forgot about the huge log that sits around 15ft...anyways the freedivers and swimmers probably got a nice shot of my getting a nice headache.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom