Emergency Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but I recently went diving with a friend for the first time and he pulled out a laminated sheet of paper and said that all his emergency information was on there. Struck me as a great idea and so I was wondering how many other people do this and what do you put on the sheet? I'm thinking;

Full Name
DAN Number
Blood Type
Hyperbaric Chamber location and phone number
Medications
Emergency contact
Address
Phone Number

Anything else you guys can think of?

Anything else you guys can think of?

- Allergies (drug and non-drug)

- Insurance Information (if you don't have DAN insurance, good luck getting coverage for a SCUBA injury!)

- Medical and Surgical history

Yea this is good idea. Don't need the chamber info prehospital EMS has all that information and local EMS Protocol will dictate what happens and where a Patient is transported in an emergency, the patient really has no choice in the matter. Allergies, past pertinent medical history,( don't need to know you broke your arm when you where 12) History should be heart, head, chest and abdominal issues. If you take 4000 meds let me know that. If you are under medical care for something that a need know item. Might even have a space you could write on with a grease pencil to indicate when you ate. Dive profile is important as well as it will help the ED Doc decided if you need to go to the chamber. But don't think that if you have a DCI you are going to have the Paramedic Rig take you to the chamber it does not work that way. A Doctor has to order that intervention, you will go to ED, we can breath for you, give some meds and put you on heart monitor and manage any trauma you might have sustained. DIVE SAFE

Last edited:
If you have ever had an electrocardiogram, get somebody to make a photocopy of it for you, and keep it with that information. This is ENORMOUSLY useful if there is any question of heart problems in a given incident.

If you have ever had an electrocardiogram, get somebody to make a photocopy of it for you, and keep it with that information. This is ENORMOUSLY useful if there is any question of heart problems in a given incident.
Even a normal EKG? Or just if you showed some abnormalities?

I have A Save-A-Dive little waterproof box with a clear lid that clamp seals on. Tape a copy of my DAN card, Ins card and ect info on so it is visible and my name printed in big letters. It is usually the only thing left in my gear bag when off the boat.
The real stuff cards are in with my keys etc in the personal or dry stuff bag. I figure it is quicker and far easier to locate me by my gear bag than rummage around in there. Also put my name on my gear bag, the end that pokes out from under a bench.
If shore diving with a buddy, I just let them know where the keys are and where in the truck the cell phone and box live.

DAN I think makes a tag of sorts, probably not a bad idea, pricy tho.

Good idea Lynne, I'll have to go round one up.

Even a normal EKG? Or just if you showed some abnormalities?

I think a normal EKG can establish a baseline and/or be used as a comparison. (Assuming that you are away from home and not likely to have medical records easily available that could be helpful to a physician unfamiliar with your level of health.)

One point though... If you carry a "Normal" EKG you had in the past, but later have an "event" but don't replace the "Normal" EKG with the "Abnormal" it might hinder treatment. This of course is true of all your medical history. Keep it current.

P.S.... I'm not a medical professional. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom