Emergency/survival dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Through a number of incidents, namely the lost group of 7 divers in Indonesia of which 5 survived, I started thinking of what would I want with me had I been in that group. Now I like to be streamlined as much as possible, but I think I came up with a fairly good solution for me. I found a pouch that can strap to my leg. In it, I have the following emergency / survival kit:

Nautilus Lifeline radio
Mirror
SMB
whistle (I have a diver alert, but what would I use if I my tank is empty?)
spare flashlight

Now this is fairly out of the way, and I don't think I'll notice having it on my leg when I'm normally diving, so I'm thinking (hoping?) I'm not a "must have everything with me" diver caricature.

Is there anything anyone thinks I'm missing?

What's in your kit if you were to be in this situation?

Assuming when you say SMB that you mean SMB + reel?

I've almost completed 3 complete Diverite harnesses with Oxycheq 'Extreme' wings (2 'single' bladder and 1 dual-bladder) all outfitted with the following safety gear:

Jotron safety strobe (NATO military grade)
Aqualung reflector 'patches' (2)
2 Mb-Sub X1-VB lights
3 Halcyon SMBs (2 large/ 1 small)
SMB reel
Hollis titanium line cutter
Halcyon titanium knife
Diverite Jon line
signal mirror
storm whistle
Nautilus Lifeline
McMurdo (aluminium) PLB housing (soon to buy Fastfine Max G --most likely)
Oxycheq 'Extreme' armored wings
ALL OPVs on SMBs and wings upgraded to the DSS heavy duty OPVs
Scubapro 'balanced' power inflators (for rapid response even at depth)
dual Aqualung 'Griplock' tank cam bands
spare Diverite compact mask in dedicated pocket
MIFLEX SS reef hook (coiled SS cable)
XS Scuba SS noisemaker with magnetic silencer cap.

Last edited:
I cut and polished a piece of sheet stainless steel is attached to my wetnotes to back up as a reflector.
zaza8uva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you carry all this stuff?
Diving a BPW in warm water, no wet suit (dive skin or rash guard). I clip of my SMB with my SPG on my left hip, Right hip cutting device and secondary. When required Camera is clipped off to a shoulder D Ring.
Diving in Indonesia I agree that a emergency pack is a very good idea, I am just not sure where I could put it such that it would not get crushed or get in the way when diving.

Diving a BPW in warm water, no wet suit (dive skin or rash guard). I clip of my SMB with my SPG on my left hip, Right hip cutting device and secondary. When required Camera is clipped off to a shoulder D Ring.
Diving in Indonesia I agree that a emergency pack is a very good idea, I am just not sure where I could put it such that it would not get crushed or get in the way when diving.

It all fits in my DR thigh pocket (diving wet)

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

---------- Post added March 24th, 2014 at 11:38 AM ----------

I cut and polished a piece of sheet stainless steel is attached to my wetnotes to back up as a reflector.
zaza8uva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can it be "aimed" at objects like a signaling mirror? Cheers.

The cheapest and easiest thing you can do is tell someone you are diving and when you will return. If no one is looking for you then you are not going to be found except by accident.

If diving in the ocean sunburn and dehydration are your biggest risks yet most divers don't carry sunscreen or bottled water.

Assuming when you say SMB that you mean SMB + reel?
Yes

I picked up a pouch that straps to the thigh (I actually have 2 of them) and has a clip to loop around the BCD cummerbund. Completely out of the way in my opinion. I'll post a pic when I have a chance.

WP_20140328_12_18_57_Raw.jpg

So this is the pouch that I currently have, with: DSMB, whistle, Nautilus Lifeline, mirror, extra light (though that will probably be swapped out with a water bottle).

Things to add: PLB, orange "Seattle sombrero"

Back
Top Bottom