END Surf GF bug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask a wider question... OK then...

Do many others here have a fascination for SurfGF?

I find the GF99 to not be that useful as it's intrinsically related to the ceiling and is also visible in the bar chart on the Shearwaters. For me, the SurfGF is very much related to your overall gas loading and gradually reduces as the decompression progresses. It's sort of an indication of how "bent" you would be if you had to go to the surface NOW! For example, consider if someone else needed your help ascending; a glance at the SurfGF would help that decision. If you've over 200% then basically it's no-can-do. If it's 120 to 100% then how do I feel and I'd probably go up and breathe O2 for a while and take it easy.. If it's 90% or below then OK.

Or is that too simplistic?

I like both. GF99 indicates how close to getting bent I am now (you can get bent in the water). It can be useful in decisions to go shallower, even if not exiting the water. You might want to go shallower to conserve gas, establish a hard bottom below you, or connect up with additional resources.

Am really curious about the time it takes to go from, say, SurfGF=100 to 90. This seems to be about 6 or 7 minutes; would like to know if that's a constant rate regardless of the dive profile and the starting SurfGF
The time is not constant in general as it depends on the controlling tissue. However, it may be roughly consistent for *your* dives if they are themselves similar.

You can investigate the variability in the Subsurface planner rather easily.

I find the GF99 to not be that useful as it's intrinsically related to the ceiling and is also visible in the bar chart on the Shearwaters. For me, the SurfGF is very much related to your overall gas loading and gradually reduces as the decompression progresses. It's sort of an indication of how "bent" you would be if you had to go to the surface NOW! For example, consider if someone else needed your help ascending; a glance at the SurfGF would help that decision. If you've over 200% then basically it's no-can-do. If it's 120 to 100% then how do I feel and I'd probably go up and breathe O2 for a while and take it easy.. If it's 90% or below then OK.

I came across this article here and found it very interesting in pointing to a way to use GF99 other than just observing it.

Follow up from Shearwater:

Thank you for following up on this feature request with our team for SurfGF to be included in the Cloud dive graph. This is still on the list for a future update, but no timeframe to give you yet.

I will forward your email to our Software Developers for further review. I can confirm this request and other requests for this specific feature are with them.

Thank you,

Shearwater does pay attention, send in your request for the addition of SurfGF to the Cloud dive graph.

Hi @Wibble,

GF is available as a statistic on the dive graph but SurfGF is not available. I have asked Shearwater to add SurfGF to the available statistics a couple of times. They write back to me that it is on the list to consider. Best you can do is to also request the addition, perhaps the number of requests has some weight. I sent the request again today.
SurfGF request sent via the Shearwater website's contact page :)

Mine too. End Surface GF (in the Computer tab in Shearwater Cloud) matches the GF99 at the end of the dive.

Is there a way to find the SurfGF at any other point of the dive? Am curious about the SurfGF on departing the bottom. This can be several hundred percent on a deeper and longer dives.
Agree, it would be nice to visualize on the dive chart

id skip 5-6 min of deco in an emergency- maybe more in a life and death scenario

id skip 5-6 min of deco in an emergency- maybe more in a life and death scenario
One cool thing you can do is change the Surface GF to 99 while underwater. That way if you do need to surface quickly you can change it to 99 and surface when it clears you. In that way you know you are at least following the model...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom