Eneloop batteries - charger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just recently purchased a MH-C9000 for breaking-in/refreshing/analyzing cells and a MH-C801D for charging more than 4 at a time. So far, very happy with both.

Andrew, for your 2550mAh cells, I would try to find a charger that charges the cells individually (not in pairs) at anywhere between 1000 - 1300mA (about 0.4 - 0.5C). In the long term, this will get you the most out of your new cells. The MH-C9000 might seem like overkill, but it gives you the most options for charging rates, discharging rates, and will give you more feedback so that you can match your cells up with others that have similar actual capacities.

Matching is a good idea. I keep the approx capacity marked on each battery, from when the C9000 tells me at the end of a refresh cycle what the real capacity is. Then I group similar ones, usually in 4s in those little plastic boxes. Most of our strobes and other lights use them in 4s. That way they get charged together, so our travel charger that does 4 but in pairs isn't degrading one or the other so much. And any that are getting iffy are culled from the herd to stay home and do important things like power LED candles and wireless rodents.

As LarryC says try and let them cool before putting them in your strobe, they off gas corrosive fumes, and will do so as you use the strobe, so I make sure I open the strobe after diving even if the batteries don't need to be recharged. Leaving them enclosed for a few days can cost you a strobe as it did me.

Interesting to see in the UWP testing that for high drain applications, you actually get as much or more usable capacity with the LSD batteries than with standard NiMH, despite the typically lower nominal mAh rating of the LSD batteries.

One observation about charge rates: when Nickel rechargeables first came out, the advice was to charge slowly, at 0.1 to 0.2C, to preserve the lifespan of the batteries. The increased heat at higher charge rates is deleterious (try touching a battery that's been charging at 0.5C!). However, rapid charging seemed to be in demand by the market. With NiMH batteries and smart chargers, it then became 'advisable' to use higher charge rates, e.g. 0.5C, because the dV/dt voltage-based termination signal that nearly all smart chargers use is not as reliably detected at lower charge rates. So it seems that the recommended charge rates now are more due to the limitations of the smart chargers, and perhaps also influenced by the perceived preference for quick charging, than designed to maximize battery life.

Since, at least in my hands, NiMH batteries die from sitting for long periods, even after very few charge/discharge cycles, this may not be much of a practical consideration.

Great info here : Batteries and Chargers |Underwater Photography Guide

I have myself La Crosse BC-900 for my Eneloop batteries and never had a problem.

Another good article to read : Batteries put to the test - best batteries for your underwater strobes|Underwater Photography Guide

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

I have two of the same chargers and have been using them with eneloop HR-3UTGA 1900mAh white batteries with no problems. The chargers are fast and also compact for travelling. I have been using the same batteries for the last couple of years in my S2000 strobes. I have heard that the newer black eneloops don't last as long as the white ones for some reason.

I charge my black enelops with either LaChrosse BC-900 or BC-500. No problems, ever.

I just recently purchased this one http://m.jaycar.co.nz/m_productView.asp?ID=MB3561
(In Aus $39.9aud)
It's a rapid charger that can do any combo of up to 4 AA/AAA and has a nice feature which is a USB port on the end to allow for charging of say a smartphone (can be simultaneous with battery charging). Not a bad thing to have on a trip away. Also it runs off a separate ac adapter unlike some of the standard eneloop wall chargers which sit flush with the wall and crowd out other sockets

Aye, the "high-capacity" cells typically endure fewer recharge cycles.

Thanks coldfire22x, I did mean recycle charges. Although on a recent dive trip a friend was convinced that her new black eneloops discharged more quicly in her strobes than the white (lower capacity) eneloops. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me, however as I have never run out of strobe power I'll stick to the white ones. (and they're cheaper :))

I also keep my batteries together in the groups of four as purchased for both use and recharging. I mark them with a permanent marker when the pack is first opened and carry/store them in those little plastic battery containers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom