enough "self-rescue" in AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No your chart shows different progressions, you only see that equivalence because you select arguments that fit your narrative.

I see that the subsequent step after OW is PADI AOW for one and possibly SSI adventure for the other.

I tried to find an official source for equivalence but I found contradicting info from different websites so I am not totally convinced either way. For example:

https://www.coralcay.org/app/download/5783077064/C0067+-+PADI+Qualification+Comparison.pdf

Equivalent Diving Qualifications: BSAC, PADI, CMAS, NAUI, etc - SCUBA Travel

It isn’t an easy comparison because AOW is not underpinned by an ISO apparently.

My apologies I didn’t realize it cut off the agency name on the top chart. That is sdi progression rate. The charts are identical when it comes to the major certifications.. I’m not cherry picking anything. The only difference would be padi has adventure diver in-line of their progression rate and sdi has it as a “specialty rating”. Be but we are directly talking about advanced open water diver in this situation. In which case both agencies are the same. Hence why if a LDS requires an Advanced rating card for certain dives, deep and wrecks etc they both are going to accept the sdi or padi card.

My apologies I didn’t realize it cut off the agency name on the top chart. That is sdi progression rate. The charts are identical when it comes to the major certifications.. I’m not cherry picking anything. The only difference would be padi has adventure diver in-line of their progression rate and sdi has it as a “specialty rating”. Be but we are directly talking about advanced open water diver in this situation. In which case both agencies are the same. Hence why if a LDS requires an Advanced rating card for certain dives, deep and wrecks etc they both are going to accept the sdi or padi card.
I thought you were talking about SSI lol, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: but it looks like it is the same with SDI, you can enroll in rescue after Advanced Adventure Diver and you can go to 30m

SDI Advanced Adventure Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI

Again I think Scott is right.

I thought you were talking about SSI lol, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: but it looks like it is the same with SDI, you can enroll in rescue after Advanced Adventure Diver and you can go to 30m

SDI Advanced Adventure Diver - SDI | TDI | ERDI

Again I think Scott is right.

I am not talking about that course. I am referring to this course. Which gives you your advanced open water with sdi.

SDI Advanced Scuba Diver Development Program - SDI | TDI | ERDI

This is copied directly from the link posted above

• After the previous requirements are met and verified by an instructor, the instructor issues the SDI Advanced Open Water Diver certification by submitting the SDI Diver Registration form to SDI Headquarters or the appropriate Regional Office, or registering the students online through member’s area of the SDI website”

This is copied directly from the link posted above

• After the previous requirements are met and verified by an instructor, the instructor issues the SDI Advanced Open Water Diver certification by submitting the SDI Diver Registration form to SDI Headquarters or the appropriate Regional Office, or registering the students online through member’s area of the SDI website”
So I think Scott is right and none of this tells me that Advanced Scuba Diver is the equivalent of PADI AOW more than Advanced Adventurer.

I think you got fooled by the name and the fact that there is no direct PADi equivalent for it, so you get downgraded to PADI AOW for equivalence purpose but Advanced Adventurer seems to get as well an equivalence to PADI AOW.

I don’t think we will get anywhere so I’ll just watch from the sidelines.

Well I am saying that the true equivalent to PADI AOW is the one I mentioned which is the one that Scott mentioned. Sure you are not cherry picking ? :)

This is where the confusion is coming into play. Adventure in sdi is a specialty. Not a main rating. Advanced open water in padi is not a specialty it’s a rating. In order to achieve an advanced open water rating with sdi you must complete the advanced scuba diver course. If you look at the sdi chart “adventure” is to the far right in blue. Those are specialties. The advanced diver which I am referring to is the one below open water. That is the Aow rating.

@Diver below 83,

PADI does not have a certification level for 4 or 5 specialties (though it is the way I recommend getting AOW). The others have a different name for what PADI calls advanced.

So sdi added it’s own level to get their AOW card?
The only "common playbook" for certification levels in the US is the WRSTC standards, for their member organizations. All else is up to the specific agency to decide what they want to do. "Added its own level?" Aside from Open Water, Nitrox, and Rescue, everything else non-leadership level is purely discretionairy on the part of the agency.
Standards Downloads - WRSTC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom