enough "self-rescue" in AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sdi. They require 25 dives to become an AOW. Not 5 like padi

Oh, I know that. It’s also 4 separate specialties. I’ve done all my recreational training through Rescue with SDI.

That’s not correct at all. Both padi and sdi have adventurer certificates just like both have advanced open water. So yes I’m comparing apples to apples.
Not even green apples to green apples.

Padi advanced requires 5 dives before Advanced open water.
Please quote a source. I can’t find that requirement in the IM or on PADI’s site. Unless you are counting the FOUR dives required for Open Water.

Sdi requires 25 dives before advanced.
That’s Advanced Diver, not Adventure Diver. Advanced Diver is a program much like PADI Master Scuba Diver.
SDI S&P:
SDI Advanced Diver Certification procedures for students:
1. Completion of 4 SDI, TDI or ERDI Specialty Courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives may be credited towards the advanced diver development program, with the exception of nitrox
2. Proof of 25 logged dives

Just because sdi requires more dives doesn’t mean they aren’t the same type of rating.

They are.
Because they are not

As pointed out padi wants all instructors to follow a strict platform. Sdi allows the instructors to tailor fit the course to each student based off the comfort level the instructors feel the students are currently at.
As an instructor for both I’m fully aware of what each agencies requirements for an instructor are. Your definition of strict platform will be different than mine

Not even green apples to green apples.

Please quote a source. I can’t find that requirement in the IM or on PADI’s site. Unless you are counting the FOUR dives required for Open Water.

That’s Advanced Diver, not Adventure Diver. Advanced Diver is a program much like PADI Master Scuba Diver.

Because they are not

As an instructor for both I’m fully aware of what each agencies requirements for an instructor are. Your definition of strict platform will be different than mine

Considering you are an “instructor” it’s sad you don’t know the levels and equivalent levels for each agency.
Maybe you consider them different but the agencies do not. Adventure is adventure weather you do it padi or sdi. Advanced “aow” is the same again padi or sdi. They just have different requirements for you to start the program. Again sdi needs 25 dives padi is 5.

As far as your master goes. I’ll just leave this here.

Master Scuba Diver (MSD) is a scuba divingcertification or recognition level offered by several North American diver training agencies, such as the National Association of Underwater Instructors(NAUI), the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), Scuba Diving International (SDI), and Scuba Schools International (SSI). Other agencies (e.g., The International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers) offer similar programs under other names, such as "Elite Diver". Each of these (and other) agencies touts their program at this level as the highest, non-leadership program.”

So sdi master scuba is the equivalent of padi master scuba.

163696C1-F46A-41B5-96D4-D985508E41B9.png
And another chart clearly showing the padi, sdi equivalents

3CD3079A-C92B-4B15-A847-0D00766E7718.jpeg
4286D6A0-BD05-4699-8CA1-EE2865054A7F.jpeg

Considering master scuba diver comes after rescue and advanced open water. Clearly it’s not the same level as advanced for sdi.

Considering you are an “instructor” it’s sad you don’t know the levels and equivalent levels for each agency.
Maybe you consider them different but the agencies do not. Adventure is adventure weather you do it padi or sdi. Advanced “aow” is the same again padi or sdi. They just have different requirements for you to start the program. Again sdi needs 25 dives padi is 5.

As far as your master goes. I’ll just leave this here.

Master Scuba Diver (MSD) is a scuba divingcertification or recognition level offered by several North American diver training agencies, such as the National Association of Underwater Instructors(NAUI), the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), Scuba Diving International (SDI), and Scuba Schools International (SSI). Other agencies (e.g., The International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers) offer similar programs under other names, such as "Elite Diver". Each of these (and other) agencies touts their program at this level as the highest, non-leadership program.”

So sdi master scuba is the equivalent of padi master scuba.
PADI AOW does not require to pass 4 specialties, you get to do 1 adventure dive from a selection of specialties.

SSI AOW does requires you to pass 4 specialties.

The closest to PADI AOW is SSI Advanced Adventurer (link)

If you pass 4 specialties with PADI you are very close to have the PADI master scuba diver rating.

Just click on this link and you’ll find this reiterated by many websites.

On another note, I recommend you to change your tone, it sounds arrogant at best and insulting at worst.

PADI AOW does not require to pass 4 specialties. SSI AOW does. The closest to PADI AOW is SSI Advanced Adventurer.

If you pass 4 specialties with PADI you are very close to have the PADI master scuba diver rating.

Just click on this link and you’ll find this reiterated by many websites.

On another note, I recommend you to change your tone, it sounds arrogant at best and insulting at worst.

I’m not disputing that they have different requirements. What I’m pointing out is regardless of the requirements needed by each agencies the levels mentioned above are considered the sameness levels. I posted three charts showing as much. Again sdi requires you to do More for their advanced levels but as far as the levels are considered clearly the charts show exactly what I’ve been saying this entire time.

For both sdi and padi “advanced divers” are the same level. Right under rescue diver. We can go round and round but the charts from both official agencies clearly show this

For both sdi and padi “advanced divers” are the same level. Right under rescue diver. We can go round and round but the charts from both official agencies clearly show this
No your chart shows different progressions, you only see that equivalence because you select arguments that fit your narrative.

For example I can see that the subsequent step after OW is PADI AOW for one and possibly SSI adventure for the other. So to me it looks like the closest to PADI AOW is SSI adventure dive and SSI added an extra requirent before rescue which is SSI AOW.

You can dive up to 30m if you do SSI adventure (do not know if you are required to do the deep adventure dive), so it really looks similar to PADI AOW to me.

I tried to find an official source for equivalence but I found contradicting info from different websites so I am not totally convinced either way. For example:

https://www.coralcay.org/app/download/5783077064/C0067+-+PADI+Qualification+Comparison.pdf

Equivalent Diving Qualifications: BSAC, PADI, CMAS, NAUI, etc - SCUBA Travel

It isn’t an easy comparison because AOW is not underpinned by an ISO apparently.

Back
Top Bottom