Epcot "Dive Quest"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirelroka:
N@rco$i$, I was just at Epcot on Saturday! I didn't do DiveQuest this time but have done it a number of times in the past, but I did notice that some of the fish had some sort of...thing(?) going on, that I hadn't really noticed before. I did a little looking when I got home and found out it is called something like lateral line corrosion or hole in head disease. When I asked the girl working there she was less than helpful (told me it wasn't a disease, just a discoloration possibly related to the lack of natural sunlight - wouldn't that make it...a disease?). Anyway, I was wondering if you noticed it, if the tour type people said anything, or if anyone else out there knows anything about it. I guess the University of Central Florida is doing some research, but I didn't find out much about it.

I'm the nerdly science type and am intersted.

I keep marine aquariums and have seen this before as well. It is hard to say what exactly causes it but some of the causes could be related to poor nutrition, stress, or even a slight electrical current being released into the water by a peice of equipment. We have adopted a few fish with severe HLLE (Head and lateral line erosion) and we have been able to cure it by providing a stress free environment with good nutrition. As large as that tank is, I am sure some of the fish get picked on and are stressed and some of them might not be getting the nutrition that they need to prevent it. It happens in nature too since the more dominant fish will get to the food first and the weaker fish will have to eat the leftovers, or go without. It takes a long time to heal a fish with HLLE in a typical aquarium (mine is 125+ gallons). I imagine it would be impossible to treat a fish in an aqaurium the size of The Living Seas. They will either recover from it, or they will live with it until they die just like they do in nature.

Andrew

String:
The fee doesnt include park membership (you actually have to leave the park to go in) however if you have a valid admission ticket you can exit in the living seas.

You can exit into the park after diving even without buying an admission ticket. The only time they would prevent you is if the park is at capacity.

Steve Egner:
The most exciting species though, by far, were the curious humans behind the restaraunt window :D .

Steve

I have to agree after lookin at all the fishies playing with those silly humans was the most fun!

Don't forget the T-shirt you get for doing the dive!:wink:

Also I can't say enough nice things about the staff my buddy and I had our wives and kiddies tagging along and although the Living Seas was closed they allowed the wives and kiddies 2,4,8 years old to come onto the dive platform and watch us dive, an upclose look at thier dolphin, and a little time in the touch tank they have in thier classroom. They really went above and beyond in making sure our other halves and kiddies had a good time.

cal2632:
You can exit into the park after diving even without buying an admission ticket. The only time they would prevent you is if the park is at capacity.

That isnt what i was told and directly contradicts the advert and paperwork i got off them.

All of that state only admission into the park with a valid ticket, otherwise its exit through guest services.

Every time I've done the dive they didn't even ask for a ticket and just let us out into the park. Of course I've always had a ticket so I wasn't worried about it.

asmith5 - Thanks for the info, I couldn't fathom (hee hee hee) how they could possibly treat such a condition. I was just unfamiliar and interested in the disorder and what if anything they could/would do about it. I should probably wear a sign that says *warning - science nerd - warning* just so people are forwarned. :D

I have to agree that playing with the people was totally fun. One of my favorite experiences was a young man (I'm guessing about 14ish) in a wheel chair who was clearly mentally challenged. I saw him, swam up to the window, and waved to him and his family. They got so excited and happy with the attention, it made my day. I've also had people gather their families together to take a picture with me! Talk about making me feel famous, it was weird, but cool.

Don't forget - NAUI for sure and I think SDI and maybe others have a 10% discount on their web site

My son (15 yr) and I did this dive the first week of Jan. We used aluminum 63's and we were down for 45 min. The tank exchange was very quick for the one person who did need it.
Staff was great, you use all of their gear, (you can only bring your own mask if you want). As for entry into the park, they never asked to see a ticket. It was a lot of fun playing with the kids on the other side of the glass and seeing how many people you can get to wave back to you in the restaurant.
Lots of fun. I would probably do it again in the future.

BTW, NAUI divers get a discount! The man who taught Mickey how to dive for the last 30+ years is on the NAUI Board of Directors.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom