Equipment for a College Student on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Many people would disagree with this, for many different reasons. Specifically, I know several dive shops that don't want to deal with anything you bought on the net, because you didn't buy it from them. Another reason--I'm pretty good at inspecting my own equipment and would rather do that myself instead of trust someone else to deal with my own life support equipment. :wink:

Normally i would agree with you but i only have a very very basic knowledge of inspecting scuba equipment

You need to get an RDB.......

*Rich diving boyfriend :crafty:

rocketry:
look for packages. Or, ask your LDS for a reg, bc, etc package.

Do you have any suggestions for brands that you like?

I suspect more would agree. Please note that I did not recommend buying anything off the net - I think that's a bad idea and topic for a completely different thread.

If the reader feels qualified to tear down a regulator and inspect it, then by all means do it. However, I presume someone "just starting out" doesn't have this knowledge and is asking for a whole bucket load of trouble if they try to service their own gear. Yes, there may be a LDS that doesn't want to service gear you didn't buy from them - that's a good sign that you should move on to another LDS for your current, and future, needs.

SparticleBrane:
Many people would disagree with this, for many different reasons. Specifically, I know several dive shops that don't want to deal with anything you bought on the net, because you didn't buy it from them. Another reason--I'm pretty good at inspecting my own equipment and would rather do that myself instead of trust someone else to deal with my own life support equipment. :wink:

AstroDad:
Many folks have great success with eBay purchases. I've never purchased any scuba gear that way though and I doubt I ever will. If I were trying to build a scuba outfit on a budget, I'd look in the classified section of your local paper first. Failing that, try a Saturday morning run of the yard sales - a friend of mine is always dragging back all kinds of stuff (and sometimes junk). You might also check to see if there are any local dive clubs in your area - sometimes they have a "for sale" section....

Whatever you buy used, please, ALWAYS have your LDS inspect it before you put your life on the line with it.

Believe me i would definitely have everything checked, i am way to much of a worry wart to take that kind of chance.

BCDgirl

if you are going to be around the sport for a while, I would just use the club's gear while using theirs
save up some money and get yourself nicer and long lasting equipment vs a budget setup.

thats my own opinion though.

LDS/Internet eh I can go both ways, although I am lucky enough that my LDS is an online discount dive shop as well.. so I have the opportunity of both worlds ( although you pay taxes :( )

As far your university having a club, thats great!
in my situation MB ( admin here) is our advisor for the club lol

I bought my equipment though and spent the extra buck to get equipment with nice warranties and service programs.. ( won't be needing any replacement gear anytime soon , unless I decide to do tech diving lol)

Just noticed you go to UM

<--- FAU dive club so not that far from you

maybe we should get our clubs to meet each other and have a massive club dive :)

buy it nice or buy it twice. if you have club gear available don't even think about buying your own "on a budget" figure out what you really want, buy it when you can, and use club gear in the mean time.

SparticleBrane:
I know several dive shops that don't want to deal with anything you bought on the net, because you didn't buy it from them. :wink:
Tell them is was a hand me down from a brother, uncle, friend or whatever.
LDS's are more inclined to help then :wink:

Learned from experience

Also I built a relationship with them by stopping in a lot and buying little silly things like weights, lights or t-shirts

stevead:
buy it nice or buy it twice.
AMEN!
Learned that the hard way

Im going through the exact same situation as you, and think I took a pretty good route.

I couldnt afford everything new last year when I finally deicded I wanted to buy my own gear. I got my basic stuff used (BCD, Reg, Comp), for a great deal from a dive shop clearing out their old rental gear. The equipment was in great shape at the time, and still is.

Then I bought more stuff that I wanted new. This included my wetsuit, weight harness, lights, etc.

Finally I am going back and replacing my rec gear (which is still in great condition for rec diving) with gear to take me into tech diving. I bought a bp/w over the summer, and am about to get a brand new Dive Rite reg set from selling my BC and reg (Luckily I have a dad who wants to buy my gear for exactly what I paid for it).

Granted I did buy some things twice, and people will tell you thats a bad thing. The way I see it I am out nothing at this point though, and have gotten almost all the gear I need to begin my start into tech diving (Yes, I realize there are still several more purchases, but I got a start)

Back
Top Bottom