Equipment for a College Student on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCDgirl:
I actually do have a really well developed dive club at my univeristy. do you think i should just wait on getting equipment and just use the universities and see what type of equipment i like best? Im still pretty new to diving and im wondering if its smart to buy equipment this early.

YES. Do that. Enjoy it while you can. Buy stuff later, when you really can't afford it. Its a much more satisfying transaction.

merxlin:
You need to get an RDB.......

*Rich diving boyfriend :crafty:

her boyfriend is broke too! i had a hard enough time buying my own stuff, let alone hers :wink:

Ask your LDS if they have any used gear they are trying to sell as it usually gets serviced first. You might also have a "chat" with the owner (if it's a small shop) and let them know your situation, and ask what they would advise - you might even have them suggest Ebay. This gives them a chance to secure your future business as well as help you now. It also will give you a good idea of what kind of dive shop you are dealing with.

Aloha, Tim

AstroDad:
I suspect more would agree. Please note that I did not recommend buying anything off the net - I think that's a bad idea and topic for a completely different thread.

Interesting! Why would you buy from local newspaper ads and garage sales, but not from the internet - ebay specifically?

That's a question I'll break up into three parts:

Why would you buy from local newspaper ads and garage sales

Note that I have never purchased anything used. All my gear has been purchased new at my LDS. However, if I were to buy used, I would want to touchy-feely before paying for it.

but not from the internet

Because I've done business with the same LDS/owner since August of 1986 and never had a "bad" experience. If I was unhappy with a purchase it didn't matter if it had been three minutes or three months - Ed always treated me right. In most cases the difference between internet and his price is negligible. Once in a while I notice there is between 10% and 20% price diff between his and internet pricing. To me, the extra $10 or $20 bucks (on a $100 item) isn't worth the aggravation of internet buying. I can run down to the LDS at a moments notice and walk out with the item. No muss, no fuss - I can't think of anything I might want to buy off the internet. Most everything scuba is "fit" related, and I can't try stuff on at an internet shop. And no, I refuse to go to a LDS, try their stuff on to find the right size, then walk out and order it from an internet shop. That's just bad karma.

Lastly, and this sounds cheesy as all get out, but I swear it's true: I'm one of those fools who actually goes out of my way to support local businesses. I enjoy having a 20 year relationship with one LDS owner; it's been very rewarding. There are perks to such a relationship.

ebay specifically?

Too many optimistic sellers (and no touchy-feely)....

That makes sense. I do understand the support your LDS issue, as long as it is a good, somewhat competetive LDS. And I also understand how some folks are willing to pay more if they can make the close inspection before buying. Overall, I have been quite satisfied with my ebay purchases. Most have been just what I expected based on the ads & pics. Quite a few have been pleasant surprises like almost new gear and old gear in like new condition. The very few bad experiences (memory card DOA and O-rings that never arrived) I accept as the trade-off for large selection and great bargains, if you know what you are buying. In my experience, older regulators and BCD offer some of the best buys. But there is always the risk of a lemon. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom