Equipment for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLYNZ4

Registered
Reaction score
I am sure that this has been discussed to death, so feel free to bash me if you wish.

My wife and I are beginning students who just started lessons in preperation for a trip to Fiji in 3 weeks. We decided to buy our own equipment if for no other reason... we want to train and then dive in good quality gear, and more importantly, we want to have familiarality with our gear from dive to dive. Our plans are to complete our confined dives at the LDS, and our open water dives at the resort in Fiji. We plan on taking a couple of trips/year to Hawaii, Cabo, Fiji, etc. which will be most, if not all of our diving. We will probably not dive here in the pacific NW.

In pretty much everthing that we do, we generally prefer to buy higher quality gear. Maybe we overbuy, but we would prefer to buy too high, rather than too low, unless it is detrimental in learning (ski equipment would be a good example where you can buy too high).

A friend of ours who is a good diver, and owns a dive shop (not local) strongly recommended ScubaPro equipment so that is where we are heading. So far, our equipment plans are as follows:

Mask: Best fit w/ good seal.. I forget which brand we got (bifolcals in my wifes)
Fins: SP twin jet
Snorkle: Generic dry
Regulator: SP MK25/S600
BC: SP Knighthawk/Ladyhawk w/air2
Computer: Uwatec SmartCom console
Boots/Gloves: Generic (not sure of brand)
Suit: Henderson trilam jumpsuit
Case: Hard plastic case for checking in air travel, and a couple of mesh bags to use on dives.

My biggest questions are as follows:

Should we get a a hyperstretch suit instead of the trilam? We didn't really discuss wetsuits much, and we got these on recommendation of the LDS. I am really tall (6'7"), and squeezing into my jumpsuit is tough. Maybe it is just because I am new and not used to it. Should I just grin and bear with this, and eventually get a custom suit?

Uwatec console: It seems that most people on this board prefer Suunto computers, and wrist mounts. As a novice, Uwatec seems more intuitive, and simple to use. Keeping it teathered seems like one less thing to lose.

Air2: Should we get this, or get a standard alternate? I have been advised that the Air2 is best of breed on the inflator/alternate combos.

I appreciate any comments... especially if we are making a big mistake on any items.

/Jim

Here's a couple ideas.

1.) I'd recommend skipping the Air2...a whole lotta money for something of debatable use. A standard octopus regulator as a back-up is a less expensive and more versatile option. You can set it up either as donatable regulator (standard set-up) or put it on a short hose for your own use (donate your primary).

2.) I'd also recommend reconsidering purchasing the console mounted computer. Instead, I'd recommend a simple less expensive wrist mounted computer or bottom timer. I originally started with a wrist mounted computer and a pressure gauge/compass on a console. I have since stripped the console away completely (now it's just a pressure gauge) and put the compass on my wrist. Suunto is great in that most of their components can be swapped out from console to wrist mounts at any time. You can start with one configuration and adjust it later if you want.

3.) I'd think twice on the split-fins...if they sell the twin-jets, likely they can get you the old stand-by jets as well...totally indestructible!

I dive dry so I can't help on the wetsuit question...sorry.

Brian

PM me if you are interested in a hot deal on a Seaquest Raider BC

FLYNZ4 once bubbled...

My wife and I are beginning students who just started lessons in preperation for a trip to Fiji in 3 weeks. We decided to buy our own equipment if for no other reason... we want to train and then dive in good quality gear, and more importantly, we want to have familiarality with our gear from dive to dive.

In pretty much everthing that we do, we generally prefer to buy higher quality gear. Maybe we overbuy, but we would prefer to buy too high, rather than too low, unless it is detrimental in learning

Good idea. Always train with what you actually use.

Spend more and get the good stuff. Do it right the first time.

I would look here: www.halcyon.net for high quality gear. Do a search for "Halcyon" and "DIR" here on SB.

Fins: SP twin jet
Regulator: SP MK25/S600
BC: SP Knighthawk/Ladyhawk w/air2
Computer: Uwatec SmartCom console

The Twin Jets do not work very well in my experience. I prefer the Jet Fins.

Nice choice on the regulator, I have one and like it a lot. You can get a R380 as a backup reg.

I would suggest a Backplate and Wing from Halcyon over the SP Knighthawk.

Stay away from consoles. Too big and bulky. Wrist mounts are nicer.

Uwatec console: It seems that most people on this board prefer Suunto computers, and wrist mounts. As a novice, Uwatec seems more intuitive, and simple to use. Keeping it teathered seems like one less thing to lose.

Air2: Should we get this, or get a standard alternate? I have been advised that the Air2 is best of breed on the inflator/alternate combos.

I appreciate any comments... especially if we are making a big mistake on any items.

Consoles are not such a great idea. Just wrist mount the compass and computer. Have a bare pressure gauge clipped off. Uwatec computers are ok and simple to use.

AIR2's don't work very well and are not very good as backup regs. You can do a search for the many reasons why. Get a regular backup reg.

Search for "DIR", "Halcyon", "Backplate", "Wing" to find a ton of good info on why your selections may not be all that appropriate. Weigh the options and make your own decision.

Welcome to the board Jim.

I take a stab at a few of these but I can tell you that there a wide range of opinions on the board.

The mask needs to fit, period. A high cost one that leaks is not worth a dime, conversely a cheapee that fits and does not leak is worth a fortune. You may want to at least get a replacement strap for it. I like the padded ones with the nylon straps, they are more comfortable to me. A simple snorkle is fine.
I don't think you can go wrong with the ScubaPro regs or the BC's. Good quality, long service life and fairly easy to get serviced in most places (from what I hear). Personaly, I would drop the Air2. It adds cost but more importantly, if you have an out of air emergency, OOA, the operation of the Air2 is going to be a pain. Most likely, you will be taught to hold the deflator above your head while deflating (which you will need to do on an accent), kind of hard for the other diver to breath through the thing while you hold it above your head. It's also not very likely that they are going to be willing to remove it from their mouth to allow you to do so, remember THEY are OOA and most likely a little paniced. I would rather hand off the Octo and handle the inflator myself.

Split fins....well, as best as I can tell, there are 2 camps, those who hate them and those who love um. I don't like them. I don't seem to get the same power and speed out of them as I do my Mares. I am positive I don't get the same amount of control with them. But there are others who love them, the best advise is to try both while you are in class and see which you like the best. Most dive shops will loan you a pair or maybe another student will be willing to swap with you.

Computer. I don't know anything about the UWATEC. I use an Oceanic Data Plus. It's easy to read and fairly simple to operate. It can be used as a wrist mount or console by swaping it from one mount to the other (wrist mount is $12). I prefer a console myself, again, both have merit. I would suggest that no matter what brand/style you get, go ahead and get one that is NITROX capable. They usually are not much more expensive and if (when) you decide to go NITROX, you don't have to spend more for a new computer.

herman once bubbled...

Personaly, I would drop the Air2. It adds cost but more importantly, if you have an out of air emergency, OOA, the operation of the Air2 is going to be a pain. Most likely, you will be taught to hold the deflator above your head while deflating (which you will need to do on an accent), kind of hard for the other diver to breath through the thing while you hold it above your head. It's also not very likely that they are going to be willing to remove it from their mouth to allow you to do so, remember THEY are OOA and most likely a little paniced. I would rather hand off the Octo and handle the inflator myself.

Now I am a little confused. I thought that with an Air2, in an OOA emergency, you donate your primary regulator to the other person (who is OOA) and you breath through your own Air2. As far as holding it above your head... I thought that you can use an alternate air dump to ascend.

/Jim

a lot of people on this board do not like the air 2 and they have valid reasons. i for one love it for recreational diving. much less hassle in my humble opinion and a nice and clean setup. as far as the arguments about out of air situations you are absolutely correct. the plan is that you would breathe from the air 2 and your buddy would use your primary reg. the alternate air dump works but may not vent as well because it is at a low point of the bc and you would be ascending vertically. in other words, depending on the bc some air might get trapped. however, when i breathe from my air 2 i do not have a problem venting. and if need be i could take it out of my mouth, hold it up and vent. no big deal but remember: don't hold your breath. if you end up deciding against the air2 just do the reefs in fiji a favor and don't become one of those divers that drag their octopus dangling 4 feet below them all over the place. there are numerous ways to keep it close. personally i like it around my neck using a bungee cord or surgical tubing. you should get the idea on the halcyon site.
in any event, none of the gear you are planning on getting is "bad". it's all nice stuff. but obviously different people have different preferences. don't let it confuse you too much.

I was in the same situation about a year ago. I tend to get into a hobby and research the hell out of equipment and options (for diving most of my research ended up being on this board). In the end I usually end up spending more cash than I really need to, but I end up with the best quality equipment.

For a recreational setup I ended up with:

Halcyon Back plate & wings (27 lb Aluminum backplate)
Idaho Sewing Mesh Weight Belt
Vytec
Apeks ATX 200 Regulator+First Stage
Apeks ATX 40 Octo
Two Wetsuits ( 1mm & a 5mm hyperstretch)
Hood
Beanie
Two Backup Lights (Princeton Tech Surge)
Princeton Tek Shockwave II light
Mask, Fins, Snorkel
Two AL 80 Tanks
Suunto Compass
Leg Knife

For me the best decision I ever made was to go with the backplate/wings (thanks Scuba Board). Many people associate this with an advanced/technical diver, but the advantages will help the beginner diver as well as the expert (No squeeze from the BC, more stable under water, streamlined) unlike skiing where expert skis may hinder the beginner.

The only things I regret:

-I should have gotten a smaller knife to mount on the belt or BC rather than a big leg knife.
- I probably just should have bought a HID light up front.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Debbie and I went to the LDS again tonight for some practice in the pool. I talked to our instructor about my wetsuit, and we changed from the Henderson Trilam, to the Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch. What a huge difference getting into the suit! The material stretches up to 250% and now I don't have to feel like Houdini to get into it anymore :)

As far as our masks... we tried on every mask in the store, and we picked the ones that gave the best seal. I have deep "smile lines" and a mustache, and I was amazed to find a mask that locked on to my face with a tight watertight seal. I had been to 2 other diveshops, and never found one that sealed at all. Debbie also had good luck. Mine is a H2O Odessy, and her's is a Seadive. We bought these completely on fit. I think that we are spot on with the advice given above :)

I went and studied the Halcyon site tonight based on your recommendations. It seems like very high quality equipment really designed for the pro. They did a good job of explaining why it is good for the recreational diver too. My concern is that we are running out of time, and I am not sure how quickly we could get them. Debbie is very timid when it comes to diving, and I think it is important that we train in the same equipment that we use on our open water dives. I do not think she would react well to change. We are on a plane in less than 3 weeks. I will talk to our instructor about Halcyon next week when we dive again, but I really doubt we could get the equipment in time.

Regarding the AIR2. I talked to my instructor about that tonight and he felt that it was a good system... better than a standard alternate. We can go with either the standard alternate (R380) or the Air2 for about the same price (I think that Air2 is actually a bit cheaper). I will try both and decide. Our equipment should all be here before our next dive.

The LDS is really good about letting us try anything that we want. So far I am happy with them. They are also doing a good job building Debbie's confidence. That is really important to me.

/Jim

If you order, Halcyon equipment could be to you in 4 day's.

Lloyd Bailey's scuba sells them

Extreme exposure sells them.
And if you don't like it. They'll take it back. You get like a 2 week trial. Or they use to. Call them to find out.
http://www.extreme-exposure.com/index.shtml

I have an Air2. It was nice. But in an OOA situation. It's not fun. It works, but the standard second is easier. Bunjee it around your neck so it's easy to find...

I have Mares volo fins. Like them but use my Scubapro jets or Turtles more often. Volo's are like splits in that they are easy on the calves. But I get more thrust from my jets or turtles.

Never tried the Hyperstretch. I have a Henderson gold.

If you're going back inflate. I'd try a Halcyon. Get whatever you think your wife would like. And order a Halcyon for yourself...

But it's all good gear...

A word on the wetsuit. I have a hyperstretch 5mm and love it. Very comfy. But the hypersteretch suits will provide less insulation compared to a standard neoprene wetsuit of the same thickness. One of the major reasons for this is that a hyperstretch suit will compress more than neoprene at depth. No really a problem since even a 7 mm Hyperstretch is more comfy than a 3mm neoprene suit.

Also the hyperstretch wetsuits tend to "pill" so try to avoid scuffing it up or letting velcro touch the suit.

Good luck and welcome to diving! :hi:

Back
Top Bottom