Equipment for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey once bubbled...

I wasn't clear -- rent from your *local* LDS, not one in Fiji. Little difference between *owning* the gear you did your local training in and *renting* the gear you did your local training in.

Then take your time choosing what to buy with a few more dives under your belt.

Roak

Ps. Ok, I'll be a cold shower and just go ahead and say it though I hate to... If you end up as 80% of divers that take a class and go on vacation and then never end up diving again, renting will save you bundles. I hope that it doesn't happen to you, but it's always a possibility.

That makes more sense... I agree, if we rent the same gear we trained in, then took it to Fiji, there would not be much difference. I thought you were recommending that we rent in Fiji.

At this point, I think we are going to buy equipment. I sure hope that we are not in the 80% you mentioned... that would be depressing. Generally we do follow through with what we start, especially when we get equipment. At least this has been the case with other hobbies like skiing, golf, flying, etc... and the cost of buying scuba equipment pales next to the cost of buying a plane.

/Jim

Here is the equipment I ended up with after many many people shoving DIR and bp/wing in my face.

Atomic Aquatics ZI 5' hose on the way and ZI backup (Bungied)
Mares Quattros fins (Spring Straps)
Sherwood Magnum Mask (Super low profile)
Atlan Hood 5/3 mil
O'neill 3mil and 7mil wetsuite
Henderson 3mil gloves
DeepSea 5mil Booties
Suunto counsel (pressure, depth, compass) Soon to be OMS SPG clipped off, wrist mount the compass, Suunto Vyper Wrist mount computer..
SeaQuest Balance BC. For a minute there you guys thought I was on the right track till it came to the BC. LOL

Actually if it wasn't for the DIR people on this board I would of never known how safe diving really can be. And no I'm no where near DIR I just think some of it makes a whole lot of sense and its not just about the gear config....

There's my .02 cents.

Here is an update on our diving equipment and progress.

First of all, I have completed all of the skills work, and I am ready for the open water dives now, but Debbie is plugging along, building confidence and slowly but surely becoming accustomed to diving. One more week before we go to Fiji, and if she is not ready for open water, then she will do some resort dives (I think that is what it's called), while I do the open water dives. We have decided to go back to Fiji again in February'04 with two other couples.

I love my dive computer (Uwatec pro com) even though it is a console. I love the fact that it is so simple to use... in fact, I don't have to do anything for the recreational diving that I do. It turns itself on/off automatically, and requires absolutely no button pushes. The display is huge, easy to read/understand, has a replacable face protector, and I really like the air integration. I can see my progress in breathing as I get more and more used to diving in the pool, and the "lung" alerts have decreased considerably. I find the alerts a good reminder to slow down my breathing, and to relax. What I love the best is downloading the data to my laptop. The machine samples every 4 seconds, so I can see and analyze each breath if I wanted to (not that I do). In addition to the dive profile, the software recreates an exact duplicate of the computer's display on the laptop, and I can step through my entire dive, 4 seconds at a time and view exactly what my computer showed. I know that there is a huge preference toward Suunto on this board, and I am sure that you all have good reasons, but IMHO, the Uwatec SmartCom is unbeleivable. I think the simplicity is its best feature. I will probably prefer a wrist mount over console over time. Once Uwatec comes out with a smart-com writstmount w/wireless IA, then I will probably get one and sell the smart com on ebay. In the mean time, I think it is the perfect computer for us. Debbie also enjoys analyzing her dives... and when the computer profile shows up bright red... she talks through why she got nervous at that particular part of the dive.

Regarding the AIR2, I can't imagine that a 2nd source could be simpler to use. It is right there next to my mouth all of the time, and at least in the pool, it breathes extremely easily. I have been switching back and forth between my primary (MK25/S600) and the Air2 without effort... and for buddy air sharing, I have been donating my primary to my buddy, and then just slipping the air2 into my mouth. There is absolutely no issues with inflating or deflating the BC while using the Air2, since I have been using the shoulder dumps anyway. You can easily inflate the BC using the power inflate while breathing through the Air2, or you can inflate using your exhaled air since the regulator is already in your mouth. About the only negative that I can see, is that it does restrict head movement a bit since the hose is so short and stiff. It has not seemed like a major issue to me. Finally, I confirmed that the Air2 is less expensive than getting an independent second stage. When ordered already installed on the BC, it added $75 to the cost of the BC, which is cheaper than a traditional octopus.

Huge advantage on switching to the Henderson Hyperstretch suit. Thanks for all the input.

I mounted a UK Remora knife on our console hose... it seems to work just fine there. For now, I have no plans on getting us any larger knives. I read on the board that 'smaller is better". I might move the knives to a BC mount at some point.

I am not sure what a safetly saugsage is... and I keep forgetting to ask my instructor. Any input?

Pelican case is pretty awesome... Its hard to imagine a better case for shipping the dive gear as checked luggage. We have mesh duffles for use to/from dives.

SP regulator is smooth and easy to breath. I did put 360 degree swivels on 2nd stage. I know there is some controversy on that, but it makes it more comfortable in the mouth because the hose does not pull.

I am debating if I should buy a light or not before our trip. I doubt that we will do night dives... but i don't know for sure. I am postive that I want disposal alkaline batteries since we will only be going on a few dive trips/year, and I do not want to deal with the "care and feeding" that rechargeables require. Will I even need a light in Fiji? If I buy a light, should I just spend the extra money now and get a HID rather than a halogen? I was thinking that a UK light cannon might be a good choice since I have no interest in ever doing this more than at a recreational level.

One last thought... I think that Debbie and I having the exact same equipment is a plus. We are fully aware of each other's equipment, and we talk ourselves through each step of setup/teardown as well as maintenance and familiarity in an emergency. At least for a husband/wife team doing recreational only diving... I recommend it.

Thanks again for all of the input... this board is awesome!

/Jim

You've got a lot of nice gear.

Have fun on your trip..

You didn't mention what BC you got...

Mverick once bubbled...
You've got a lot of nice gear.

Have fun on your trip..

You didn't mention what BC you got...

We got the SP LadyHawk/KnightHawk with Air2 pre-installed. So far, it seems good, but we have not spent time floating at the surface in choppy water, so we do not know for sure if the back-inflate will push us too far forward. The advice we have received is that it is not a problem unless we over-inflate. The BC seems really comfortable on and does not give the "boob squeeze" of a jacket style BC. It seems really easy to inflate/deflate in the water. The shoulder dumps seem to work well. It is pretty minimalist when it comes to pockets. Our dive instructor is advising us to minimize the use pockets (if even using them at all), but rather strap the crap to us. The integral weight system seems much more secure (they use mechanical clips) than the Seaquest vests we wore initiatlly (Velcro), but the weights are still simple to ditch.

/Jim

FLYNZ4 once bubbled...

Our dive instructor is advising us to minimize the use pockets (if even using them at all), but rather strap the crap to us.

Then you're basicly using a backplate and wing. They don't have pockets. You put your pockets on your suit on top of the thigh. They are glued on.

It is a nice BC. Some things I'm not comfortable with on them. But it's just personel preference.

It is a nice BC though.

Have fun...

Get the Halcyon. If you need the pockets, add then later. Get the Halcyon Big Diver Alert Marker or the Surf Shuttle for safety. These can be stored in the MC pack that comes with the Halcyon. I have the Ranger, but would have bought the Halcyon if I had came across it before hand.
Maybe you can read up on the reviews at www.scubadiving.com before gettig the rest of the gears.

I have not been on the board in a very long time... and felt that I should reply.

First of all, Debbie and I are both certified divers now :) We had a great time in Fiji, and while it was a struggle for Debbie to get certified... we did make it :) I really had no problems at all. She had to do some additional pool work there after her first dive... she was too nervous in the open water. On her final dive... she finally had much better bouyancy control, and everything went a lot smoother.

All of our equipment worked very well... except my saftey sausage broke off the clip during one of my steps off of the boat. I stuck it in a pocket for that dive, and then re-attached it for future dives.

We have never planned to do any local diving here in the Pacific NW... but we are going back to Fiji for two weeks in February/March. I know that I am really looking forward to diving again! Debbie does not have the same passion, but she will probably dive more.

The dive company sure made it easy for us... they picked up our gear from our room, the day prior to our first dive. Each day, they would rinse all of our gear, and have it ready on the boat the next day. We only carried our regulators and computers to/from the boat each day.

This trip to Fiji was part of a summer-long sabbatical from work. Besides scuba diving, we also drove Debbie's sports car (BMW Z4) around the PNW... and we flew my plane around the country. If you are interested in seeing any of it... my sabbatical website is : www.pappasfam.com

Thank you to everyone who gave us advice on the board!

/Jim (and Debbie)

I have not been on the board in a very long time... and felt that I should reply.

First of all, Debbie and I are both certified divers now :) We had a great time in Fiji, and while it was a struggle for Debbie to get certified... we did make it :) I really had no problems at all. She had to do some additional pool work there after her first dive... she was too nervous in the open water. On her final dive... she finally had much better bouyancy control, and everything went a lot smoother.

All of our equipment worked very well... except my saftey sausage broke off the clip during one of my steps off of the boat. I stuck it in a pocket for that dive, and then re-attached it for future dives.

We have never planned to do any local diving here in the Pacific NW... but we are going back to Fiji for two weeks in February/March. I know that I am really looking forward to diving again! Debbie does not have the same passion, but she will probably dive more.

The dive company sure made it easy for us... they picked up our gear from our room, the day prior to our first dive. Each day, they would rinse all of our gear, and have it ready on the boat the next day. We only carried our regulators and computers to/from the boat each day.

This trip to Fiji was part of a summer-long sabbatical from work. Besides scuba diving, we also drove Debbie's sports car (BMW Z4) around the PNW... and we flew my plane around the country. If you are interested in seeing any of it... my sabbatical website is : www.pappasfam.com

Thank you to everyone who gave us advice on the board!

/Jim (and Debbie)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom