Equipment Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After looking at at the posts I got for the past couple of days and I went to the beach and hunted down a couple of beach divers for their 2 cents. I decided to go ahead and just rent the the stuff that I will need (the expensive stuff) I got everything but still deciding on the mask, fins, boots,snorkel and weights. After visiting the DS ,I like the idea of feeling the merchandise and checking it out knowing it's made of good quality but if I see the same thing on the internet for just those items that are cheaper with shipping then I might just buy them and have them fed ex or something.As for the BC when I comes time to buy one I will get it at the DS or from a reputable dealer online if it's cheaper, I wouldn't buy that type of equipment on EBAY, Just no way. I figured after getting certified that I would do beach only dives until I feel comfortable going any deeper, Took me a week just to go 15 feet snorkeling. Just until I get more experienced with the equipment. I can even rent the expensive equipment from the DS until I buy the equipment (I checked). Alot cheaper than shelling out that much cash at once. Like you said If I get 10 dives in then I would be 10 times more knowing of how things work and feel than buying all that gear and not feeling comfortable with it. I let you know what type of gear I get this weekend .

DiveMe:
I don't know that I agree with renting gear for too long after certification if you're planning to dive more than once a year. ......

The question is not _if_ you should buy gear but _when_

I was one who recommended renting also. I think you should start looking for gear after OW certification. Do a few dives post certification in the rental gear but then it's time to start looking. You will know SO MUCH more after just those few dives then before you have ever been under water. My point was that a person who just walks into a dive shop and wants to get started is unqualified to select gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom