Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeagle makes really good bc's and I am pretty sure their regs are good too. If i am not mistakin' they recalled some of their regs. I would check their website first before purchasing it. www.zeagle.com

BTW they would be ranked as a major name brand.
no thoughts on the bc by dacor it might have just been a personal opinion.

Well I hate to disagree with everyone (especially on my first post!!), but out here in SE Asia a computer is the first thing to buy.

Most dive operators won't let you dive without one, most people are unwilling to buddy with someone who hasn't got one, and it makes diving safer/easier/longer.

Computers don't make mistakes with time, depth or ascent rate, divers do. OK they give no guarantee, but they reduce the risks greatly and let you get on with the dive.

Just my opinion.

A BC is key. You want a BC that is streamlined. To get a streamlined BC, avoid "features" such as padding in the back and cummerbunds. Go with a bladderless (AKA single bladder) design. These features are available with a vest style as well as wings. An excellent example of a vest BC that will give you years of excellent service is the Scubapro Classic Sport. The Classic is a poor choice, IMHO, while the Classic Sport is a very good choice.

I've used all different styles of BC's and the style doesn't make any difference in performance. If you do decide to go with a vest style, remember they are more comfortable and work better when you leave the chest strap undone. Also keep in mind most people use a BC that is really too big for them, proper fit is important.

As for a regulator, that depends on the type of diving you plan. If you'll be diving shallow and only with folks you can count on to monitor their air, I'd recommend a workhorse like the Sherwood Brut or Magnum. If you'll be making lots of deeper dives, especially with unknown dive buddies, go with a high performance regulator.

DiveKitten once bubbled...
At one of the shops I was looking at a very reasonably priced Zeagle reg/octo setup. Any exp. with or thought on Zeagles? (I don't know if Zeagle would be considered "name brand" in the dive world.) Also, at a shop in St. Pete, I had a salesperson tell me that Dacor BCD's are deathtraps but didn't elaborate.

~DK

Personally, I don't rank Zeagle as a name brand in the regulator market. I prefer Apeks and ScubaPro.

MacHeath once bubbled...
Computers don't make mistakes with time, depth or ascent rate, divers do. OK they give no guarantee, but they reduce the risks greatly and let you get on with the dive.

Just my opinion.

Computers don't make mistakes? What planet do you come from? Do a Google search for "dive computers" then search the results for "recall". Read some of the reasons dive computers have been recalled. Incorrectly calculating desaturation, incorrect algorithum. One manufacturer even knew their algorithum was providing incorrect data, which lead to some injuries, but the owner fired people that wanted to fix it and covered it up, because he wanted to sell the company.

I not only scuba dive but also hunt and shoot. Just like a firearm's safety, a dive computers is a man-made device that can (and will at times) fail. Putting all ones trust in a dive computer is idiotic, in my opinion.

Yes, I dive with a computer. And a console of standard guages as well. Plus a dive slate with my planned dive calculated with The Wheel.

What if the battery for your dive computer dies when you're at 120' just into your dive?:confused:

Well, let me through in my two cents...

Buying from a shop may or may not be more expensive but probably. Even if it is it CAN still be a good value especially if you don't know much.

IMO, Rodales dosn't know crap about diving or dive equipment.

I spend a lot of class time discussing equipment. Not specific brands but function. Trust me it's stuff Rodales will never tell you. You won't find it in an agency text either. In order to do a good job of choosing a bc you need to understand trim and buoyancy control. To decide what kind of alt you want you need to understand what air sharring methods will work best for you. To pick fins you should know something about finning technique. You should know that many bc's are designed to apeal to the divers caribbean vacation sense of style. The designers take advantage of the fact that while the customer may know nothing about diving they may very well be looking for a new color, extra pocket or a bunch of cool looking d-rings that are all in the wrong places. Fin designers know that since most divers haven't a clue how to use their feet they can design a fin that makes it easier to use poor technique and sell them for big bucks.

Take your equipment advice from people who can dive. Look at the pictures of divers in the magazines and find some one who doesn't look like that in the water to listen to. LOL

Zeagle makes great regs. They're about all I use. I think I have 7 or 8 Zeagles, two Apeks and a sherwood on my argon bottle. And yes I sell them but I wouldn't take a reg I didn't trust to 200 ft or 1/4 mile into a cave just to sell regs. They did have a recall recently. They had a bad batch of high presure seats.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

IMO, Rodales dosn't know crap about diving or dive equipment.

Tell us what you really think...:)

jbichsel once bubbled...
What if the battery for your dive computer dies when you're at 120' just into your dive?:confused:

You finish the dive according to your plan. Not hard :wink:

Also, talk to Smitty at Aquatic Center in Archer Plaza. He is very laid-back and helpful. Lloyd Bailey is great to talk to, but I have difficulty deciding where his BS begins. He LOOOOVES to talk about himself- just ask him!

Equipment-wise- I would get a regulator/octo/gauge or computer setup first. Just my opinion, but that, to me, is life support and I want one that I know has been maintained and repaired properly. I assume rental gear is maintained properly, but I never have used it since my check-out dives 20 years ago. After I got certified, I bought a US Divers regulator rig that I still use today.

Good luck and hope to see you in the water someday!=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom