Equipment redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dissaster

Reaction score
Hello, i'm a newbie at diving, i had just finished my AOW course, and my instructor had always told me that she don't like Dive computers with Air management because if by any reason the computer fails, she can't know how much air she has left. She always dive with her computer in her arm and the pressure and depth gauge in the console.

With this in mind, u thought, are there any First Stages with dual High pressure outlets that allow to use at the same time a traditional depth gauge and an Air integrated computer?? or something like a splitter?

Would this be a good idea, or am I just letting my mind go to far??

and, what does other divers think about this?

....I can answer "yes". There are 1. stages with dual HP ports.

AquaLung Legend comes to mind (and is, btw., an excellent 1. stage...)

The dive industry, like others, is full of pretty toys that were designed for the purpose of attracting buyers more than serving a useful purpose.

Redundancy always involves a trade off. having a way out if things go wrong is good but carrying things you don't need is bad.

Personally I think consols were somebodies idea of a good joke to play on divers. They'd make a better boat paddle than a diving tool, I think.

I can't understand why one would need a battery or radio to know how much gas they have.

I can understand why one would need redundant breathing systems.

Think about what it really is that you need during a dive.

If fancy toys are just something you enjoy that's ok too as long as it doesn't make things too much harder in the water.

You could use a "Y" valve on your tank with a plain SPG and on valve and the computer spg on the other...however, I would personnaly go with a plain SPG. Air integrated computers are more likely to fail you than you SPG (no studies can confirm what I've just stated).

I own and love my air integrated Suunto Cobra. Air integrated hosed computers are very reliable.

However, in the event it does fail, end your dive and surface. A redundant computer on your wrist and a spare SPG in your dive bag will allow you to continue diving.

If failure is a concern, forget about hoseless computers and skip any kind of quick disconnect on a hosed air integrated computer. You could put the spare SPG permanently on your 1st stage, but IMHO that is overkill.

In a recreational setting a pressure gauge failure (traditional SPG or hoseless AI computer) isn't necessarily an emergency, you should always have enough gas to get you and your buddy to the surface, and always have some idea of how much gas you have, so if you do have a failure you just end the dive and go to the surface.

I personally don't see the point in having an AI computer and a traditional SPG, if you're going to have the SPG why spend the money for an AI computer that on some level you don't trust. I personally never had a backup SPG on my rec setup when I had a hoseless AI computer.

Ben

divemed06 once bubbled...
You could use a "Y" valve on your tank with a plain SPG and on valve and the computer spg on the other...however, I would personnaly go with a plain SPG. Air integrated computers are more likely to fail you than you SPG (no studies can confirm what I've just stated).

Most rental tanks come with a single valve -- I've only ever gotten valves w. two outputs in France (where two independant 1. stages + 2. stages are mandatory for instructors and DM's). Most rental tanks I've seen elsewhere have been with a single-output valve only.

IMO, the "doublers" I've seen, which supposibly convert a single output to a double fall in the "gadget" category. The o-ring between the valve of the tank and the converter is still the "point of failure" (gotta take the doubler off to fill the damm cylinder). Also, in case of a 1. stage failure, one cannot just shut down the valve to the failing stage, but is exactly as f***** as without redundant 1. stages.

So if the original poster wants both an air-integrated computer and a traditional spg, then an 1.stage with 2 HP ports is the only option.

On the other hand, I'd much suggest going with the "simpler is better" approach and just get a regular SPG....

voop once bubbled...
IMO, the "doublers" I've seen, which supposibly convert a single output to a double fall in the "gadget" category. The o-ring between the valve of the tank and the converter is still the "point of failure" (gotta take the doubler off to fill the damm cylinder). Also, in case of a 1. stage failure, one cannot just shut down the valve to the failing stage, but is exactly as f***** as without redundant 1. stages.

Then you've never seen a Y- or H-valve, these allow you to shut off each reg independently and you do not have to take anything off to fill the tank. Tank o-ring failures are very uncommon (most happen during filling I've seen) and with a single tank there's no way around that.

Ben

OneBrightGator once bubbled...

Then you've never seen a Y- or H-valve, these allow you to shut off each reg independently and you do not have to take anything off to fill the tank. Tank o-ring failures are very uncommon (most happen during filling I've seen) and with a single tank there's no way around that.

Ben

Yes I have. In fact, that's what I dive!

What I am talking about is something you screw onto your single-output valve to convert it into a temporary two-output. That's NOT a good idea.

An Y or H valve directly in the cylinder is a very good idea, allows for independant and redundant 1. stages, allows you to shut one down if there's an 1. stage failure.

We were talking about "gadgets which do not make sense" -- I just brought up another such. I'll see if I can find a pic of it somewhere....

Ah, well then that is about the goofiest thing I've ever heard of.

If you need any kind of "add-on" splitter (for a single to double outlet valve or single hp port to double) it's a sign you need a more permanent and safer solution.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom