Equipment redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
Ah, well then that is about the goofiest thing I've ever heard of.

If you need any kind of "add-on" splitter (for a single to double outlet valve or single hp port to double) it's a sign you need a more permanent and safer solution.

Ben

I could not agree more....however I do see them in use from time to time when I dive unknown waters. Basically, they're a good way of adding two more o-rings that can burst, while getting no redundancy benefits :wink:

Nahh. H/Y valves -- or twin-tanks -- for redundancy. But twins are probably out of scope for the org. posting :wink:

To be honest, I'd have to say I see little use for Y- and H-valve tanks... if you need redundancy then you probably should have two tanks and you probably will be buying them in the near future and then you're stuck with an extra H-part or Y-valve.

Ben

To be honest, I'd have to say I see little use for Y- and H-valve tanks... if you need redundancy then you probably should have two tanks and you probably will be buying them in the near future and then you're stuck with an extra H-part or Y-valve.

Ben

Well...first of all, there's not much of a choise -- it's required (by law/regulation) setup in this neck of the woods. So there....

Secondly, it does offer the opportunity to have redundant 1.stages, and the ability to shut off the valve if one o-ring blows or a 1. stage fails while still having air. Not that I've had that happen a lot, though....

And no, I do not argue that it's close to as redundant or good as a twin set with manifold......

Did I miss something?

Ben

A single tank with a H-valve provides nearly the redunsancy of a set of manifolded doubles without the volume ...or weight.

It also lets you use your same reg set up. Just move em from the doubles to the single without changing anything.

I like an H-valve for Ice dives where I have to carry my equipment for a long way also.

dissaster once bubbled...

With this in mind, u thought, are there any First Stages with dual High pressure outlets that allow to use at the same time a traditional depth gauge and an Air integrated computer?? or something like a splitter?

Would this be a good idea, or am I just letting my mind go to far??

and, what does other divers think about this?

Getting back to the original question..............

Apeks first stages come with two HP ports, and yes, it most certainly is a good idea to have redundancy here.

I would suggest that a tripple console (tank pressure, depth, and compass) is the way to go in addition to an AI computer (together with a simple dive watch). IF your AI computer dies, then you surface, from your depth guage, you should be able to read the maximum depth, from your watch the time underwater, and then from the tables you can calculate your pressure group on getting out of the water.

If you do this, you can get another dive done in the day, yes, it will be a table dive, but, after you computer has died, with no backup its 24 hours without diving.

This type of backup comes in usefull when your computer dies at the start of a liveaboard trip :) - without backup your holiday is over, unless you can get a new computer, or guages from another diver (the boats I've been on rarely had spares like this)

Jon T

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Personally I think consols were somebodies idea of a good joke to play on divers. They'd make a better boat paddle than a diving tool, I think.

I can't understand why one would need a battery or radio to know how much gas they have.

Hi Mike,

I agree with you on the SPG transmitters.

What do you think of the Cressi mini-consoles?

http://www.cressisubusa.com/cressius2003/cat.asp?lan=uk&idc=7

There are 3 versions.
1: an SPG.
2: an SPG and depth guage.
3: an SPG, depth guage and compass.

The 3rd one is only about 2 inches wide and 4-5 inches long as the compass is on the back opposite the depth guage. Very simple to "tuck in" when not in use.

If you just gotta have a console, #3 looks the least like a "boat padde" that I have seen.

I use the #1 as my "left post" SPG and also on short hoses on my sling/O2 regs.

I have a #3 on my "Right post" for a redundant depth guage and because I don't use a wrist compass. For 95%+ of my diving, I find I don't use a compass at all so having it attached to the reg simply guarantees that I have it for those rare occations I want/need it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
It also lets you use your same reg set up. Just move em from the doubles to the single without changing anything.

I like an H-valve for Ice dives where I have to carry my equipment for a long way also.

That's true, I'd rather just swap a couple hoses than buy a H- addition.

No ice diving for me, so I didn't think about that.

Ben

dc4bs once bubbled...
I use the #1 as my "left post" SPG and also on short hoses on my sling/O2 regs.

I have a #3 on my "Right post" for a redundant depth guage and because I don't use a wrist compass. For 95%+ of my diving, I find I don't use a compass at all so having it attached to the reg simply guarantees that I have it for those rare occations I want/need it.

Not Mike, but I'll throw in my $.02

IMO, an extra SPG is unnecessary and just creates another failure point. If you want to carry a backup depth gauge (you could use your buddy's in the event of a failure) and/or a compass a pocket will work better all around.

Ben

For most of the dives that i do, i have a good idea of the profile (a basic plan) of the dive. For most dives the plan is decend to the bottom, use up my air or dive to the deco limit, ascend acording to plan, with a safety stop. This assumes no deco and a direct ascent (not overhead envenmorent).

The plan includes the maximum time allowed at the bottom (leaving enough air for ascent, safety stop and reserve) and the amount of time from the start of the dive to the time to leave the bottom.

I dive with a hoseless integrated computer, a SPG, and a watch/depth gauge for normal recreational dives. For deeper or longer dives I may take more/different gear. I don't have a redundent computer. I don't like consoles.

In a recreational dive enviornment, in case of failure of a computer, SPG, depth gauge, etc, I just complete the dive according to plan (and maybe leave the bottom a bit early for safety).

If you are off plan some how when the failure happens (deeper than planned) then terminate immedeatly. Watch failure is another reason to terminate the dive (with one watch).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom