Ever have a LOL dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yea...good thread. we were doing a night dive in Okinawa when one guy grabs a taco (octopus) and puts it on the other divers mask. The guy freaked and it looked like something from Alien. I never laughted so hard.

I was down in Key Largo few years ago with a dive trip my LDS put together. I was still OW and my buddy was a no show and wanted to get a full day of diving. Being only OW the Instructor who went down offered to let me join in on the Deep Dive just to get the experience. During the pre-dive it was decided that since I had a horrible SAC rate I'd just descend and stick by the mooring line then ascend at my turn pressure. Before anyone says the Instructor was reckless I'd like to mention I did all my pool work with him as well as all my OWC and even a couple dives at a spring.

Well, the dive went great, was interesting to be 'deep' since that dive is my deepest to date. Well, following the dive plan I went up, did my safety stop at around 15fsw and was tickled pink. There was a school of fish all around me, dancing about. At the time I was 'oh wow this is cool'. Did the stop and got on board no problems. The LOL is what happened next. There was a dive pair around me keeping me company who came aboard and was "you see that!" I was 'Yah, that was awesome, all those fish swimming around me!" They went 'No, the two 'cuda who balled up those fish and were feeding!" So yah, my LoL moment was realizing after the fact I was in the middle of a bait ball with 2 cuda's eating and I was completly unaware (Do know, we had pretty bad, by keys standards, vis for the weekend. Lot of green tint in the water).

During the same trip the dive center actually got enough divers for a night dive to send out 2 boats. Well, they moored near each other and stupid me surfaced right between the two. Lets say I chose poorly and only found out I chose the wrong boat when I was at the ladder. So, had to swim back to the other boat in a slight current. Only thing kept going through my head was "He chose poorly." scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

On our recent trip to Cozumel, the DM had a cut up lion fish in a plastic bottle that covered his spear. He started getting harrassed by a giant snapper who eventually got the bottle off the spear and ate the goodies. I have a picture of the DM giving the snapper a stern finger wave.

On a dive late last year, it took a while for my buddies to realise there was something slightly off about my equipment.....

CIMG4459.jpg

Key Largo. Dive buddy Greg and I settled into the prone position on the sand to watch the show. A turtle was happily chomping away on some coral, with 2 enormous Queen Angelfish eating the debris kicked up. We laid there for an easy 20 minutes, marveling at the beauty of the vista in front of us.

I feel something on my arm, and a tap on my shoulder. A small spotted moray had joined us for the show, and was happily looking up at me, as a dog would when you're trying to eat. "Aww, this dive couldn't get any better", I thought.... Then.... Greg, "NOOOOO!!!", I wailed through my regulator, but it was too late. My "buddy" had the notion to spook the moray, giving me an evil smile as he touched it's tail. The moray immediately looked for the closest cover it could find - ME! It swam in and out of my BC, hoses, and came out somewhere around my snorkel as I'm doing my best imitation of an underwater African zulu dance. The moray takes off to look for more stable cover, and Greg and I sucked down about 500 psi laughing afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom