Everest vs the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...

As for diving, I have the impression cave-diving is much more dangerous than the Andrea Doria. If there is an "Everest of diving" then I think you'll find it underground.

R..

Pfffft! :)

<snicker>

Last time I looked, nobody doing a cave penetration had to worry about:

1. Collapsing structure
2. Razor-sharp edges
3. Marine life, especially of the invertebrate kind
4. Current
5. Changing conditions
6. Simply trying to get along with the weirdo boat captains (probably the most hazardous of the list. :D)

I once joked about with a caver and told him a story about wrecking... I told him that, "We'd found the wreck, and then weighed anchor, geared up, and entered the water. We followed the line down, but when we got to the bottom, there was no wreck... We'd missed it. There was nothing down there 'cept a bunch of sand and a few rocks. We might as well have been on a cave dive."

Lol... :D

Of course, I'm just teasing my thin, pasty, tree-hugging brethren... :D

Is there a place for bolt cutters on my harness? :)

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Yeah, it's a walk in the park???

How many dives have you got on the 'Doria

Stalking now are we? I never said it was a walk in the park, I said it's not that difficult. I was very active in the MidAtlantic wreck diving scene before I moved to Texas and I know lots of buddies that have dove it.

The Doria is only 170' to the port rail. If you just want to say you've dove the Doria ( which alot of people do want to say ) then it doesn't take that much training or experience ( or smarts ) to rig up a bp/w, drysuit, double 120's and do a deep air dive.

Now add in the holistic approachs such as DIR.... procedures, teamwork, gear configuration, gas selection and gas management and it REALLY ISN'T that difficult of a dive.

Add in penetration and not it's a different story.

chrpai once bubbled...
Stalking now are we?
No, I just wanted you to qualify that "it's not that difficult"...leading newbies to beleive that any idiot with the means to get out there can make the dive.

I agree that with proper training, gas mixtures, and planning make the dive much safer than it was say 10 or even 5 year ago.

Not that I have any clue what the dive is like mind you, but I know that there are a lot safer ways that more people are aware of now than they were 5 years ago....

Besides, she's falling apart, and she won't be much to see for much longer anyway.

Two totally different concepts.

I've never heard of anyone making their final ascent on Everest because of china fever.:eek:

And thats all I was trying to say. I'd never send a newbie to the Doria or any other MidAtlantic wreck. But I also wouldn't try to hype it up like its the worlds hardest thing to do. I'll leave that to the egomaniacs that want to impress everyone with how good they are.

We're compairing apples to ball bearings here but...

I totally agree that ANYONE (and their dog) can dive the Doria, any day of the week, no problem, it is beyond easy.

Step one...add weight
Step two...step off boat ladder
Step three...slam into the deteriorating deck of the Doria.

Oh...you want to get back to the boat too? Sorry...this part isn't covered in my anyone can dive the Doria package.

Now for comparison...Everest...unless you are short-roped to the summit, it isn't possible for "anyone" to summit.

The number one rule in mountaineering...well...one of them...is that it doesn't count if you don't come back...summiting is only half the trip. In diving...going down is the easy part...getting back up and out takes a bit more logistical planning. Climbing has two equally challenging aspects to it...up and down. Diving has one...up.

This has been an attempt to throw some confetti on the fire as it were.

:wink:

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
Two totally different concepts.

I've never heard of anyone making their final ascent on Everest because of china fever.:eek:

No that's true, but more than a few have died because the HAD to stand on the top.

R..

bwerb once bubbled...
I totally agree that ANYONE (and their dog) can dive the Doria,

But my dog doesn't like water... :(

This has been an attempt to throw some confetti on the fire as it were.

Now where did I put that bottle of ligher fluid?

bwerb once bubbled...
We're compairing apples to ball bearings here but...

I totally agree that ANYONE (and their dog) can dive the Doria, any day of the week, no problem, it is beyond easy.

Step one...add weight
Step two...step off boat ladder
Step three...slam into the deteriorating deck of the Doria.

Oh...you want to get back to the boat too? Sorry...this part isn't covered in my anyone can dive the Doria package.
That's b/c you didn't think about it hard enough...sheesh...you have so much to learn

Add these Steps

Step 1.5 Attach self with 400' of heavy duty line attached to large winch on deck of boat (this has to be done before you step off the ladder)

Step four....three tugs on line to start winching diver up from below.

Next thing you know, there will be SNUBA trips down to the deck and a lighted pathway to the bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom