Everest vs the Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baenglish73 once bubbled...
Next thing you know, there will be SNUBA trips down to the deck and a lighted pathway to the bar.

If Big-T gets wind that there's a bar down there he's liable to head down looking for beer. :shhhh:

cornfed once bubbled...

If Big-T gets wind that there's a bar down there he's liable to head down looking for beer. :shhhh:

What??? There's a bar..."No time to pack....just grab the beer and lets go!!!!" :burnout:

When folks say "The Doria is the Everest of diving" they're not saying it's like climbing Everest or as hard as Everest or requires a similar skillset. They're simply offering an analogy to help the listener or reader to get an idea of how divers perceive the Doria. The Doria is to divers like we believe Everest is to climbers. For years they have each been arguably the most famous destinations for their respective groups of players. There are more difficult wrecks, but probably none more famous, and there are more difficult mountains, but perhaps none more famous.

John F

JohnF once bubbled...
When folks say "The Doria is the Everest of diving" they're not saying it's like climbing Everest or as hard as Everest or requires a similar skillset. They're simply offering an analogy to help the listener or reader to get an idea of how divers perceive the Doria. The Doria is to divers like we believe Everest is to climbers. For years they have each been arguably the most famous destinations for their respective groups of players. There are more difficult wrecks, but probably none more famous, and there are more difficult mountains, but perhaps none more famous.

John F

wow, the way you said that, while probably true, is pathetically ironic. I think thats the best way to say it, I'm not sure.

(in otherwords the analogy isn't hardest to hardest, but what diving outsiders believe is the hardest related to what climbing outsiders believe is the hardest )

JohnF once bubbled...
<snip> The Doria is to divers like we believe Everest is to climbers. For years they have each been arguably the most famous destinations for their respective groups of players. There are more difficult wrecks, but probably none more famous, and there are more difficult mountains, but perhaps none more famous.

John F

I believe the analogy JohnF used is "famous," not "hardest as perceived by outsiders".

The book is an enjoyable read, regardless, and the "Everest analogy" is a miniscule part of the book.

baenglish73 once bubbled...

I believe the analogy JohnF used is "famous," not "hardest as perceived by outsiders".

The book is an enjoyable read, regardless, and the "Everest analogy" is a miniscule part of the book.

Go interview 10 people off the street if they think Everest is famous or extremly challenging and see what they say.

chrpai once bubbled...

Go interview 10 people off the street if they think Everest is famous or extremly challenging and see what they say.

I think must people would say it's famous and extremely challenging. Since most people don't know any other challenging climbs.

Same applies to the Doria. Not only is it often named as the most challenging dive it is also one of the few wrecks out their that non-diving people have heard about. It was the only serious wreck dive I heard of before I started diving.

I think JohnF's analog is very accurate.

chrpai once bubbled...

wow, the way you said that, while probably true, is pathetically ironic. I think thats the best way to say it, I'm not sure.

(in otherwords the analogy isn't hardest to hardest, but what diving outsiders believe is the hardest related to what climbing outsiders believe is the hardest )

That's not what he said at all. Jo'F made a good point. I'm sorry you can't see it.

cornfed once bubbled...

That's not what he said at all. Jo'F made a good point. I'm sorry you can't see it.

Thanks. His post had me rereading mine trying to figger out how what he meant. I admit Chris has me confused with his response but I respect his right to an opinion, even if I can't understand it.

John F

I wasn't disagreeing with John, I was just stating what a sad commentary it is. I admitted to not knowing how to word what I was trying to say, I'm sorry that you guys are so quick to criticize that you can't think about it for a minute.

Let me help you.....

"The Doria is to divers like we believe Everest is to climbers. "

Ok we are outsiders to the climbing world. If we believe that Everest is the hardest climb for climbers, and we are incorrect in that assumption... and the doria is to divers.... then it would also be an incorrect assumption to think the Doria is the hardest wreck.

Why I thought it was ironic, was because both are believed by outsiders to be something other then they really are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom