Exactly how tight should a wetsuit be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebird2XC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In an odd twist of fate, I now have a 2 full body wetsuits- a 3/2 in an XXXL and and 5mm in XXL.

I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs. Big dude.

SO anyways- the 3/2 is just a little loose in the armpits, and when I lean forward, bunches up a little bit around the torso. There's just a tiny bit of gap around the wrists and ankles. Likely not an issue with booties and gloves, etc. I'm thinking that pooling and flowing is possible with this suit.

I've also got a 5mm that's just a bit snug. Nice and tight all across the body.

So I'm wondering- are there really good metrics for a good fit on a wetsuit? How snug is too snug? Will the neoprene compression at depth make a change in how it fits and feels?

you don't want to cut off any circulation of course. but finding a suit that is a "good" fit for certain body shapes is sometimes a challenge.

if you are using the 3/2 in warm water then the small areas that are not perfect will probably not be an issue. but you will need the suit for cold water to fit snug in all the right places.

there have been threads about custom made suits. JMJ was rated highly i believe. although when i tried contacting them to order one for my wife they never did answer. tried more than once too.

you don't want to cut off any circulation of course. but finding a suit that is a "good" fit for certain body shapes is sometimes a challenge.

if you are using the 3/2 in warm water then the small areas that are not perfect will probably not be an issue. but you will need the suit for cold water to fit snug in all the right places.

there have been threads about custom made suits. JMJ was rated highly i believe. although when i tried contacting them to order one for my wife they never did answer. tried more than once too.

I kinda figured that. The warm water 3/2 suit doesn't really have to be a skin tight fit- but the tighter I can manage is better with thicker, cold water suits?

The gap at wrist and ankles is a red flag, pooling and flowing is death. The whole suit should fit with a hint of compression. After a dive expect to see the stitching imprinted in your skin for a while.

Meanwhile it should neither hinder inhaling or aid exhaling.

Mobility should be near naked in terms of jumping jack, touching toes and that sort of stuff.

Pay attention to the armpits, there should be enough suit to go full up into the armpits, if it's stretched short under there there is not enough torso length.

The whole answer.

The 5mm could be a keeper.

Pete

The gap at wrist and ankles is a red flag, pooling and flowing is death. The whole suit should fit with a hint of compression. After a dive expect to see the stitching imprinted in your skin for a while.

Meanwhile it should neither hinder inhaling or aid exhaling.

Mobility should be near naked in terms of jumping jack, touching toes and that sort of stuff.

Pay attention to the armpits, there should be enough suit to go full up into the armpits, if it's stretched short under there there is not enough torso length.

The whole answer.

The 5mm could be a keeper.

Pete

Thanks, Pete! Best answer yet.

Another sign to look for, it should not be a struggle to zip up the suit. It should feel not tight, but yet have no gaps or folds. Breathing should not be impeded, nor should it compress your neck. When you bend your elbows you don't want pockets under your arms. A poor fitting wetsuit for cold water will ruin your dives.

Another sign to look for, it should not be a struggle to zip up the suit. It should feel not tight, but yet have no gaps or folds. Breathing should not be impeded, nor should it compress your neck. When you bend your elbows you don't want pockets under your arms. A poor fitting wetsuit for cold water will ruin your dives.

Good point on the cold. I think the 5mm is alright for fit. I think I may keep the 3/2 as I got a bargain on it, and in 80+ degree water I'm more concerned about contact injury with wildlife and bottom elements, so I wouldn't mind a little bit of flow in the suit.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2013 at 12:57 PM ----------

Ugh. I'm sitting in the 5mm right now, and I feel like it's putting a squeeze on my neck. It might just be the wrong brand of suit for me.

Yeah that's about it. I've used the same used 7 mil farmer john my entire 7+ years (sometimes without the bottoms, which means at times I get a little more water flow than I really want, but it's in warmer water of course). I've never had any real problems. I guess this means it should be tight enough to keep you warm enough, which is just short of being tight enough when removing it that you don't rip it to shreads and burn it in disgust.

I actually went and returned the 3/2 suit. It was just too big. Compared to the fit of my shorty, it was like wearing an old sock that wouldn't stay up.

I had my local dive instructor check the fit on the 5mm. He says it's perfect, so it's just my unfamiliarity with it that raised my eyebrow. The throat seat is a little snug, but we figured it out. A few small incisions to loosen up the seal and some Aquaseal to make sure they don't run and I'm good to go. Especially with a 5mm hood.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

The throat seat is a little snug, but we figured it out. A few small incisions to loosen up the seal and some Aquaseal to make sure they don't run and I'm good to go. Especially with a 5mm hood.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

If you haven't done that I would wait until you dive it. The neck opening is one of the largest water ingress points. What seems uncomfortable, sticky and sweaty in the house may be delightful in use.

You can always take it back with a few stitches.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom