Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't sweat it.....I have about quite a few honors earth science students that I teach who mixed up volume and density on the last exam I gave them. This was after a hands on lab, lecture, review, and worksheet activity calculating density. It happens.

Yes rongoodman, it's in the paddy log book

Rocky

Tip ex the old one out :)

Rocky

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 02:06 PM ----------

Sounds like a plan

Rocky

I never put the score in the log book. Just tick off the exam was passed on the referral page.

The only thing that matters is while you prep and dive, do you understand the issues and work within the framework taught? The exam score is a rough indicator of the former, has little to do with the latter.

But still grumpy,, if I ever wanted to get a job in the dive industry, my future employer would want to read my log book?? I've still got along way to go and plenty more exams.. Just no more silly mistakes :)

Rocky

Thank you akimbo, I just strive to be top of the class. And I hate the fact it's written permanently in my log book..

Rocky

They should have wrote it in big fat red letters then. That way you would learn two lessons. (1) the difference between volume and density and (2) not to be so friggen hard on yourself.

This is a learning experience, not a competition.

In the context of a diving course the main thing is that you learn it. There are a million variations of HOW you learn it, and no instructor you have in the future is going to look at that number and think you're a tool. What they're going to do is take you in the water and talk to you and judge for themselves if you know what you're doing or not. For your con-ed, how you dive will be much more important to what you next instructor thinks of you than what you scored on the OW final.

R..

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 04:54 PM ----------

But still grumpy,, if I ever wanted to get a job in the dive industry, my future employer would want to read my log book?? I've still got along way to go and plenty more exams.. Just no more silly mistakes :)

Rocky

You're mistaken about how important this is for your con-ed. On the long term you will grow a network of people and it will be more about how you are as a person than what's in your logbook.

When I became an instructor I had to show a logbook... so I printed a record that I had been keeping for the two years before that. The "logbook" contained 250 odd dives. But I had been diving for over 20 years before that. He knew that. For the standard he needed a logbook but I am 100% sure he never looked in it. When I took my DM I already had over 1500 dives and even *I* couldn't remember what I got on my OW final. My instructor told me that I needed to "unlearn" as much as I had learned. He never doubted my diving skills for a moment. His challenges to me were all geared toward getting my head back in a mode that I could remember (even vaguely) how it was to be a beginner and/or how it was for people who were not naturals for diving, which I was.

When I took my first tech course I didn't need to even show the log book... because the instructor had been one of my students (I had him when he took AOW). He went the tech route early on, when it was just becoming popular, but I had never bothered. I phoned him and asked if he would mind and he jumped all over it. I was the first person he certified for IANTD advanced nitrox..... He put me through the ringer in the course because of not wanting to look like a slacker, but I was able to handle it.... I did so many valve drills in that course that after certain dives I was unable to pick up my gear to put it in the back of my car due to my arm muscles being completely cramped up and exhausted.

Same with my Trimix instructor. We've known each other for 15 years and he was one of the first dive buddies I had when I moved to the Netherlands. I mailed him that I wanted to take the course and he was all over it. He said it was an honor. that I was a hell of a diver and he was ecstatic that I didn't ask someone else.

And that's what will happen when you get deeply involved in the sport. You'll find that you build a big network of people who know what kind of a diver you are, and what kind of a person you are.... and who would love to help you progress.

The only students who I can think of where we really looked at the log book were ones who signed up for DM with a minimum number of dives and all the dives in the logbook looked the same. Even at that, this was only an early warning system and we always suspended judgement about it until we had seen them in the water.

R..

Back
Top Bottom