Exmouth in May 2005 - where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaKomodo

New
Reaction score
I will be in Exmouth in May (looking for whale sharks - can't wait) Anyone have good advice on where to stay - ever hear of Pot Shot?? I want a fun laid back atmosphere close to the diving. Also, planning on hitting Coral Bay for a dive or two - what's the drive like from Exmouth to Coral Bay?

The Pot Shot is walking distance to the town, post office etc. It has a couple of pools, a wide variety of accommodation types and two bars. The backpackers (Excape) has dorms and private rooms and is always happening.

Exmouth to Coral Bay is 1.5 hours. Watch for kangas, cows and sheep throughout the day but especially early morning/late afternoon. The worst section for animals is between Exmouth and Learmonth airport. If you are hiring a car it MUST be arranged before you arrive or there is a very real risk of not having one available.

Potshot is right next to Exmouth Diving too, probably the best restaurant in town ( and that ain't saying much!) As an alternative, there is a nice B&B on a hill overlooking the sea. I can't remember the name of it now. It was nicer than the PotShot in terms of rooms but obviously the surrounds are a lot less party like.
Also remember that MANY car rental agencies require special insurance to drive past a certain latitude ( can't remember if it was 26 or 23°) otherwise you have no insurance. This is coming up from the South. I don't remember about Broome.
The drive from Exmouth to Coral Bay is 112km or so. I would suggest going less than 60km/h just to avoid the sheep. Drive in the day only. At night there are WAY too many animals to be safe.

I am thinking of staying in Exmouth and not making the trip to Coral Bay - BUT I would hate to miss anything good since I'll be traveling 1/2 way around the world! Any thoughts?? Also, am I really guaranteed to see Whale Sharks in late May - any word on how the season is going?? As far as restaurants - as long as I have a nice piece of fish and a glass or two of wine, a nice atmosphere - I am in good shape - but if anyone has any recommendations for that, I would be game as well.

I loved staying at the Potshot... But then again, all I wanted to do is dive and have a place to shower and sleep afterwards. I thought the food was good with very generous portions. If I ever get the chance to do it again, they are certainly who I would stay with.

There is no B&B overlooking the ocean. There is a caravan park with some units on a hill - perhaps that is what you are thinking of. It is about a 30 minute drive from the town of Exmouth, so inconvinient for some. If you stay in town and do tours you won't really need a hire car. You will need one if you want to explore the National Park or Gorges south of town. You'll also need one if you want to go to Coral Bay as there are no time-efficient transfers available.

Whale Sharks have been steady out of Coral Bay since the last days of March. Whale Sharks have been steady out of Exmouth only for the past few days. There is no guarantee to see any wild animal :wink: Late May has traditionally been a very good time for not only whale sharks, but also manta rays and the earliest of the humpback whales migrating north.

All restaurants serve fish. There are three restaurants where you can also buy wine - at two you can bring your own bottle. Food quality varies from night to night at most restaurants. There is one in the town centre with more stable quality, but the wait can be really long. Service is not of an American standard so be prepared.

Coral Bay and Exmouth are roughly 150kms apart. It takes just on 1.5 hours to drive at the speed limit. Especially at dawn/dusk you will need to slow down - 60 kph is S-L-O-W and creates a hazard for other drivers. 90 - 100 is the norm at these times of day. Make sure you are well rested and that your lights are working before setting off. Worst area for sheep, roos etc is between Exmouth and the airport.

alcina:
Whale Sharks have been steady out of Coral Bay since the last days of March. Whale Sharks have been steady out of Exmouth only for the past few days. There is no guarantee to see any wild animal :wink: Late May has traditionally been a very good time for not only whale sharks, but also manta rays and the earliest of the humpback whales migrating north.
Whimper! Want to go now !

I was with many of the gang heading over late May/early June this past weekend - conversation was very Exmouth-centric. One WA traveler decided to inform us that there were a lot of tiger snakes over there. 'But not cranky ones!' she hastened to reassure. Snakes don't bother me at all, but there were a few wide eyes around the table. Sort of like the looks overseas visitors give me when I talk about our local funnel web and redback spiders.

Siiiiiiillly question...what are liquor prices like there, Alcina? Do we need to stock up coming through Perth?

Sorry about that. As I pressed send, I noticed you were in Sydney, so I guess you already KNOW....

meisburger:
I don't know about liquor, but wine is cheap in Australia, and much better than that french dreck.
Lol! I know...I'm an Australian. Have drunk copious quantities of Oz beveridges, and have a particular fondness for Frigate rum and many of our fine Methode Champagnois.

I was just wondering specifically about grog prices in Exmouth.

Back
Top Bottom