Expats / Residence / 6 month+ Stay - Philippines Immigration changes to ECC process

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balikbayan means 'repatriate' - used in connotation of a Philippines citizens who live/work abroad that are returning to live or visit the Philippines. Not sure how that terminology reflects on the currently available visas for foreigners (not Filipinos by passport)?

Thanks for the help. I will check with the resort in Panglao and see if there is an office near by to do the extension.

My wife always got the 1 year stay Balikbayan stamp when she returned to the Philippines ( US Passport ). If I or the kids travelled with her, we all received the same 1 year stay stamp.

When not with my wife, we all get the 21 day stay Tourist Stamp.

My understanding is that Philippine Immigrations uses the following definition for Balikbayan:

1. Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure;

2. A Overseas Filipino Worker(OFW); or

3. Former Filipino with foreign passport and members of his family ( i.e. spouse and children) who are traveling with him.

I never stayed past 21 days even with the one year stamp, so I have no idea if I would have had any difficulty leaving after that length of a stay.

My wife always got the 1 year stay Balikbayan stamp when she returned to the Philippines ( US Passport ). If I or the kids travelled with her, we all received the same 1 year stay stamp.

When not with my wife, we all get the 21 day stay Tourist Stamp.

My understanding is that Philippine Immigrations uses the following definition for Balikbayan:

1. Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year from the date of last departure;

2. A Overseas Filipino Worker(OFW); or

3. Former Filipino with foreign passport and members of his family ( i.e. spouse and children) who are traveling with him.

I never stayed past 21 days even with the one year stamp, so I have no idea if I would have had any difficulty leaving after that length of a stay.

Ah, that'd be why it wouldn't apply to me - as mine isn't Balikbayan, but resident here.

Update on acquiring an ECC (November 2013), all based on my own experience with this recently:
Unless the rules have changed again, the ground situation surrounding the issuing of the Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) appear different than set out above, at least for me:

1) Suboffices do issue ECCs. It was issued to me by the immigration suboffice in Legazpi, in November 2013.

2) Validity seems to be 1 week; the Legazpi office issued it on November 12, with my departure date being the 18th (visa expiry); likewise, the Intramuros office in Manila had told me earlier that (if applying for it there), 'I should come there to apply for and get it 1 week before my departure; so I believe the validity is 1 week (not more! don't plan to get the ECC and then fly 2 weeks later, it could get you into trouble).

They indeed don't seem to issue ECCs at airport immigration anymore. At least not when I tried to get through without one in October at NAIA - I was turned back; I pleaded, was ready to pay a fine or whatever, but they wouldn't budge; it happened on a Friday, and I was directed to go to the main Intramuros office; upon arrival there and submitting the ECC application, they told me, after letting me wait, to come back the following Monday as they 'had too many applications to process'. And oh, Sir, if you come back on Monday, your visa will have expired, so please file for an extension on Monday first and pay the fine (my visa expired that Friday)...with the prospect of a weekend in a Manila hotel and another (Monday) morning in a nightmarishly crowded Intramuros office, not to mention the uncertainty of being able to quickly book a new, reasonably priced flight out of the country at such short notice, I asked them if I could go back to Legazpi and do the extension and ECC application in the (for me more familiar) suboffice there. They said I could and that turned out to be correct. The rest is history...

Being turned back at Naia immigration was a humbling experience, with a lot of stress as a result; then the financial setback: I lost my flight tickets (non-refundable), my hotel and other advance bookings abroad, had huge extra travel expenses, totalling near php 20,000.
Note: In Legazpi, I paid Php 500 for the ECC, but was also asked to get the original application papers (submitted at Intramuros) notarized by a local notary, which set me back another 500 (a rip-off, the standard fee is 250);

So my advice is to talk to your local immigration suboffice and get it all arranged well ahead of time...
All the best.
M.

Thanks for the update and sharing your experience.

Being turned back at Naia immigration was a humbling experience, with a lot of stress as a result; then the financial setback: I lost my flight tickets (non-refundable), my hotel and other advance bookings abroad, had huge extra travel expenses, totalling near php 20,000.
Note: In Legazpi, I paid Php 500 for the ECC, but was also asked to get the original application papers (submitted at Intramuros) notarized by a local notary, which set me back another 500 (a rip-off, the standard fee is 250);

Yep, that's the same experience (and costs!) I had back earlier in 2013. But...

So my advice is to talk to your local immigration suboffice and get it all arranged well ahead of time...

...I had even called the Immigration Sub-Office 48 hours in advance to ensure that I could get the EEC. So, basically, even calling ahead of time is little reassurance that the entire process won't change on a dime, with no warning, and leave you stranded and financially out-of-pocket at the airport etc...

The ECC is pointless bureaucracy, that changes on a whim, with little or no communication of those changes.... and can leave you 'barred' from exit, without any prayer of a timely resolution.

It's more f*&% in the Philippines.

What terminal did this happen to you in NAIA?

Terminal 2...
Is that worse than 1 or 3?
I tried everything, including 'gently' suggesting to the chief to 'discuss things' in his office. To no avail. I was told later by someone that their rigidity may be related to the appointment of a new Immigration Chief in 2013, who wants to appear tough...

---------- Post added December 12th, 2013 at 02:36 PM ----------

Right on, Devon, I couldn't agree more. It's just another silly paper, and one about which the BI's communication is sketchy at best. It doesn't really verify or check any of your credentials more thoroughly than your normal visa extension process does (if at all) and adds nothing to the Philippines' security (if that was its purpose) - it just adds cost, stress, maddening uncertainty and effort (including for the immigration officials themselves).
It's More Futility in the Philippines...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom