Exploded scuba cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious, too. What causes this to happen?

• Damage to the cylinder. Usually from crud getting inside the tank (causing corrosion or catalytic pitting) or a serious scrape or blow to the side wall.
  • Manufacturing flaws. Usually a crack or bad fold in the neck.
  • Metal fatigue. Too many cycles, though this is uncommon - it should take many thousands at rated pressure to cause a tank to fail.
  • Overpressurization. Every cylinder comes with a working pressure rating, exceeding the rating is an invitation to disaster - especially with aluminum tanks.

Fortunately, scuba cylinders don't fail very often. When they do, however, it is a highly dangerous and altogether too exciting event - yes, people sometimes get killed. Usually it's the guy at the fill station that takes the brunt of the blast so you'll understand why he's sometimes kind of fussy about making sure you're taking care of your tanks and having them inspected.

All in all, aluminum is cheaper to manufacture than steel but also more brittle. When aluminum cylinders fail it tends to be very dramatic, steel tanks tend to let go without all the flying shrapnel.

Scuba cylinders should be visually inspected every year or any time you think they may have been damaged or contaminated. In North America, pressure (hydrostatic) tests are also required every five years for most cylinders.

NOVIZWHIZ that has got to be one of the best stories that I've heard in a long time. Some one sitting on a cilynder and pulling off a valve that had air in it, I read that and howeled, deffinately Darwin Awards material. Some how I can imagine what kind of nervious wreck a person would be after a bottle skooting out from under them like that.

I'm curious, too. What causes this to happen?

There were long discussions in the tank forum about sustained load cracking (SLC) and their occurence in a certain type of alloy (SP6498). The discussions focused on how certain shops wouldn't fill the tanks etc vs the large number of tanks of the stated alloy that didn't burst. anyway, measures currently exist that can reduce the risk of this occurence (like eddy visualization).

Check out the tank forums for more info.

I would bet that 99% of these explosions were from poor tank maintance or more likely as Doc Ed pointed out SLC.

He points out SP6498. But I've found that people are more weary of the alloy 6351-T6, which Luxfer made tanks from until about mid 1988.

A lot of shops won't fill either now days, with good reason. (there are several other recent threads on this.)

There were long discussions in the tank forum about sustained load cracking (SLC) and their occurence in a certain type of alloy (SP6498). The discussions focused on how certain shops wouldn't fill the tanks etc vs the large number of tanks of the stated alloy that didn't burst. anyway, measures currently exist that can reduce the risk of this occurence (like eddy visualization).

Check out the tank forums for more info.

I believe that cylinder manufactured under DOT SP6498 are, in fact, made from 6351T6 alloy.

Phil Ellis

Photos of a shop after a storage cylinder went kaboom...a lot bigger than a scuba tank and a lot more damage...

That's Big Tub Lodge in Tobomory, Ontario. There was one person killed in that incident I believe, and they were fined around a hundred grand or so by the Ministry of Labour.

Last edited:
There was also a few aluminum tanks that exploded after the owners had them powder coated. The baking/cooling in the painting process removed the tempering.

Remember what your mommy always told you, always check the hydro and visual on a tank before filling it not after it's blown half your store away.

I walk up, he's sitting outside the shop on the tank with a chain wrench around the cylinder and a monster pipe wrench on the valve - turning it about 1/16 of a turn at the time - really straining - I ask what he's doing -said somebody brought tank in and the valve was damaged - wouldn't open or close - I asked if it had air in it - he said NOPE and kept turning - I left (bad feeling) - came back about an hour later - busy shop was empty - he's sitting trying to drink a cup of coffee and shaking - said tank valve got about 1/2 way out and blew - it was in pieces - tank hit a cinder block wall, bounced off that, hit a huge oak tree - bounced of that and headed out over the marsh - I found it about 150 yds away and buried in the mud... fortunately it was pointed away from the shop when it 'left" - said it sounded like the artillery he heard when he was in Korea... (I have photos!).

oh man...i wish i had seen that...though scary at first, i know that would have been hillarious afterward when everyone was ok, lol

Back
Top Bottom