Extremely new, even to the idea of Diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I want to find a new hobby and diving seems to be the most interesting on my list. I'm ready to sign up for lessons NOW, however the only problem is this, I can swim, but not well. I swim better underwater than above. My butterfly stoke is horrible, I'm better off swimming underwater. I'm still not sure exactly how to stay afloat in deep water, better yet, I can't stay afloat, I'm doing something wrong. Considering what I can't do, would I even be able to pass the test to start lessons?

Swimming, and swimming with fins is a completely different story. Swimming with fins is all about kicking technique.. its something that you eventually get used to as you dive more.

You don't need to be a perfect swimmer to be a diver, you just need to be capable of using fins.. and thats something everyone can do, perfection comes with time, and speed is not an issue, you need to stay relaxed.

As for staying afloat in deep water? you need to sink not float! Your BC (the jacket you wear when your underwater) is what will help you stay buoyant so you don't damage corral or the sea floor, this is filled with air.. very simple to use.

The only real "test" that a PADI course requires are the Knowledge tests, treading water (staying in the pool for 10 minutes without touching the pool floor or the edge), and a swim to make sure your at least somewhat fit (no time limit). The rest of the tests are done when your diving with a divemaster and they are all based on knowledge and what you have done in class.

Where are you located? If you are in a warmer climate, maybe going out on a introductory to scuba lesson would be ideal, or even a snorkel swim.

Hello everyone,
I'm still not sure exactly how to stay afloat in deep water, better yet, I can't stay afloat, I'm doing something wrong. Considering what I can't do, would I even be able to pass the test to start lessons?

All humans can float. Fill your lungs with air and don't try to keep your entire head (its very heavy) out of the water. Just lean back and keep your nose and mouth out of the water using your lungs to keep you on the surface. Practice in a pool where you can touch the bottom until you are comfortable and calm, then move to deeper water. When you need to take a breath, it is ok to use your legs and arms. The zen of scuba is to be relaxed with everything you do in the water.

I had the same issue as you...best bet would be to do what I did and hit the pool a lot. Work on a swimming stroke that works for you...doesn't matter if it's freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke, etc. When I did my swim test, I did breast stroke for like two laps and then did back stroke the rest of the way; since it's not timed, it's not like you have to train to be an olympic swimmer. You're required to swim 200 meters...regardless of how long it takes, as long as you can do that, you're ok. As far as the 10 min survival swim/float...meh. Even if you can't tread water, lie on your back in the water (after breathing in and holding a full lungful of air) and stick your chest out so you float. Time your breaths so you exhale quickly and inhale more air in quickly then hold it....or if you can, exhale less than you inhale, so you always keep a positively buoyant amount of air in your body so you don't sink.

Once you pass those tests, you'll never use the skills they required again. Maybe it's different for tropical diving, but at least for diving in cold water, my 7mm wetsuit allows me to float on the surface /easily/ without any effort on my part. Since it won't be stressed (I'd assume not anyway) in your OW class, best thing you can do is do a lot of weight training that works the muscles in your legs, /especially/ your calf muscles, since that's what will actually be useful in diving...not so much the swimming or survival float. Well, unless you somehow manage to ditch your wetsuit along with the rest of your gear in an emergency, then you may end up using the treading water and swimming skills....although if you can manage to ditch your wetsuit in the water, at that point you can probably walk on top of it anyway if you get my drift. :wink:

Yes, there are unethical places that will certify a non-swimmer and with some agencies, they can even do it without violating standards, but to be safe, you need to be a swimmer. You don't have to be a great swimmer, but you have to be able to swim. Go down to your local Y and sign up for swimming lessons. Take your diving lessons after you're a better swimmer.

As for floating, there are some people who cannot float, but they are extremely rare. When I started diving, I was almost one of them, I could float, but not very well. In the time I was teaching folks to dive, I had one, and only one, sinker in a class. The good news is if you are a sinker (not likely, but possible) you are also probably in very good shape physically and can tred for the entire 15 minutes. One of the reasons I had difficulty floating was I did not understand the process. Don't try to stay on the surface. The only part of your body that needs to stay out of the water is your mouth and nose. It's OK if your legs hang straight down. Bend your head back and let your eyes rest just under the surface. As long as your mouth stays above water, you are floating. You can also use a technique called drown proofing. As long as you relax, you can stay afloat with drownproofing for hours. Have your swim instructor teach you the technique.

As for staying afloat in deep water? you need to sink not float! Your BC (the jacket you wear when your underwater) is what will help you stay buoyant so you don't damage corral or the sea floor, this is filled with air.. very simple to use.

Knowing how to float or tread water is WAY more important than being able to sink. What if the BC malfunctions and this person has to tread water in the ocean waiting for the boat to pick him/her up??? Plus someone that is unsure of their swimming ability will probably be much more apprehensive during an OW class and while diving in the ocean. Diving and swimming go hand in hand, there is no way to avoid that. I recommend this person get comfortable swimming and treading water before they start scuba diving. IMHO

If you want it bad enough you can do it...

Walter:
Yes, there are unethical places that will certify a non-swimmer and with some agencies, they can even do it without violating standards, but to be safe, you need to be a swimmer. You don't have to be a great swimmer, but you have to be able to swim. Go down to your local Y and sign up for swimming lessons. Take your diving lessons after you're a better swimmer.

As for floating, there are some people who cannot float, but they are extremely rare. When I started diving, I was almost one of them, I could float, but not very well. In the time I was teaching folks to dive, I had one, and only one, sinker in a class. The good news is if you are a sinker (not likely, but possible) you are also probably in very good shape physically and can tred for the entire 15 minutes. One of the reasons I had difficulty floating was I did not understand the process. Don't try to stay on the surface. The only part of your body that needs to stay out of the water is your mouth and nose. It's OK if your legs hang straight down. Bend your head back and let your eyes rest just under the surface. As long as your mouth stays above water, you are floating. You can also use a technique called drown proofing. As long as you relax, you can stay afloat with drownproofing for hours. Have your swim instructor teach you the technique.

Good advice indeed...

My butterfly stoke is horrible

Most people's is, including mine and I hold the Red Cross Advanced Swimmer certificate (the highest swimming certification they offered at the time I was actively taking lessons - short of WSI, which I had - but expired since I haven't actively taught swimming for years). The butterfly is probably the hardest stroke to master - particularly for any extended period of time - try the breast stroke or side stroke - much easier.

I can't stay afloat
I used to be a sinker, although a change in metabolism fixed that. Start in shallow water so you can relax and move gracefully. Lay gently on your back (start by holding on to the edge of the pool if it helps you gently get onto your back). Keeping your trunk straight, drop your feet (bend at the knees so your calves and feet are perpendicular to your body and hanging straight down in the water). Extend your arms above your head and point your fingertips to the sky (arms in the water, fingertips out). That position rotates your body about its center of gravity, pushing your top end down a bit into the water and pushing your knees a bit higher which keeps your feet from drifting slowly to the bottom of the pool.

FWIW, I agree with some of the other advice - spend time in the pool. Get comfortable and become a strong enough swimmer to pass the swimming test without much effort. I discouraged my nephew from diving a couple of years ago because I felt he wasn't a strong enough swimmer to take care of himself in the water for any length of time should something go wrong while diving.

You need not be a competitive swimmer to dive well. What helps a lot in diving is to be really comfortable in the water. Being able to swim reasoanably well will help with this, so I suggest following Walters advice about taking some swimming lessons etc, etc. Besides the actual swimming though, take the time to become proficient at floating as well as treading water comfortably. The idea is to learn to respect the water as potentially dangerous, since we aren't really designed to live there :wink:, but you should not fear the water unnecessarily. The fear of being underwater results in a lot of stress. Stress that is counter productive to diving. Stress that is demanding and exhausting in the water. Stress that kills the fun of diving. Really good diving is about being relaxed and comfortable while in and underwater. This comes from an internal confidence about being in the water.

The whole point of the swimming test is for the instructor to gauge your level of comfort in the water. Unfortunately too many instructors will move right on with a person who is stressed out of their mind instead of taking a little more time or even suggesting swimming lessons as Walter has above, before proceeding. This is a great diservice to the student IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom