Failure of Wireless Air Integrated COmputer and SPG

Instrument failure

• The Air integration system of my Wireless AI Computer has failed.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • My SPG has failed.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeesh. I realize there are a lot of idiots out there, but banning an entire class of good tools (ie, wireless AI dive computers) because of those idiots is lowering the entire sport to the lowest common denomenator. Who appointed you people (this is absurd to ask, but please use common sense in trying to figure out whether or not I am addressing YOU, dear reader, with this statement) to be our protector?

Everyone has an opinion on the internet, but some of you are speaking as though your opinion is the only right one. Get a grip on how much you rate in this world, for goodness sakes. You're not the scuba police, or Big Brother, protecting us from ourselves.

AI computers are handy. Don't depend 100% on them, learn about the tools you use, and you'll be just fine. Seriously consider a backup analog SPG in case of failure. Hmm... for those diving ONLY analog gear, what sort of secondary backup mechanism do YOU have in place? Or are you 100% dependant on one tool to give you your gas levels, the same accusation levels against AI comps? If something happened to it would you scrub the dive? Gee, someone with a computer could and probably should do the same thing.... even if they do have a backup.

If I was diving wireless AI (only) and my comp crapped out, you can be damn sure I'd thumb the dive, whether or not I had a backup SPG. I've been diving more than long enough to remember how to ascend at a safe rate without a computer (which didn't really exist in any meaningful way when I was first certified in '87). Should many of the people out there be more careful than they are with their diving? Absolutely. Should we remind them, gentley, from time to time, of this fact? Sure. Does this topic really warrant 7 pages of posts? Absolutely not.

Let Darwin do his work to the people who choose to dive and entrust their lives to tools they do not understand. Maybe they'll be lucky, maybe they won't. And the OP, incidentally, does NOT seem like the type to take things lightly, else he would not have started this discussion. Kudos to him, I'm sure he'll do fine with whichever decision he chooses.

Rant over.

CompuDude:
Yeesh. I realize there are a lot of idiots out there, but banning an entire class of good tools (ie, wireless AI dive computers) because of those idiots is lowering the entire sport to the lowest common denomenator. Who appointed you people (this is absurd to ask, but please use common sense in trying to figure out whether or not I am addressing YOU, dear reader, with this statement) to be our protector?

Everyone has an opinion on the internet, but some of you are speaking as though your opinion is the only right one. Get a grip on how much you rate in this world, for goodness sakes. You're not the scuba police, or Big Brother, protecting us from ourselves.

AI computers are handy. Don't depend 100% on them, learn about the tools you use, and you'll be just fine. Seriously consider a backup analog SPG in case of failure. Hmm... for those diving ONLY analog gear, what sort of secondary backup mechanism do YOU have in place? Or are you 100% dependant on one tool to give you your gas levels, the same accusation levels against AI comps? If something happened to it would you scrub the dive? Gee, someone with a computer could and probably should do the same thing.... even if they do have a backup.

If I was diving wireless AI (only) and my comp crapped out, you can be damn sure I'd thumb the dive, whether or not I had a backup SPG. I've been diving more than long enough to remember how to ascend at a safe rate without a computer (which didn't really exist in any meaningful way when I was first certified in '87). Should many of the people out there be more careful than they are with their diving? Absolutely. Should we remind them, gentley, from time to time, of this fact? Sure. Does this topic really warrant 7 pages of posts? Absolutely not.

Let Darwin do his work to the people who choose to dive and entrust their lives to tools they do not understand. Maybe they'll be lucky, maybe they won't. And the OP, incidentally, does NOT seem like the type to take things lightly, else he would not have started this discussion. Kudos to him, I'm sure he'll do fine with whichever decision he chooses.

Rant over.

:D :D :D :D :D

Nice rant CompuDude. I agree. I solo a lot and I carry a Cobra AI in a console and also a Mosquito. I also have a mini SPG and depth gauge. That doesn't mean everyone else has to carry one. A lot of the response here look at only one side of the issue and are not interested in the alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom