Fantasy Island, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggest a tip rate if you'd like, but let each decide without pressure. I tip reasonably, but I do not like expected tipping.

Thank You for your report!

OK dandydon, why is that your position? Do you want to feel free to give less?

I don't like group tips that have no set amount per person. The reason I don't like that is because generally I'll give more (and so will some others) but then some don't contribute at all or seriously undertip. This is an inequitable way to handle group tip to my mind.

OK dandydon, why is that your position? Do you want to feel free to give less?

I don't like group tips that have no set amount per person. The reason I don't like that is because generally I'll give more (and so will some others) but then some don't contribute at all or seriously undertip. This is an inequitable way to handle group tip to my mind.
I'm not the biggest tipper, but not the worst either. I just don't like a set tip requirement - put that in the price. Let me tip as a gratuity, ok?

We just returned from Fantasy Island -- our 3rd time there and our 8th or so time in Roatan. The staff was great and very helpful. At times there was a small language problem, but we always worked it out. No complaints about the food and drinks. The new dive boats are easy to get on and off;, Kevin and Nelson were most helpful. Turtles, eagle rays, seahorses, schools of fish. We have always loved Fantasy Island. I don't expect luxury in a dive resort -- I can deal with the fact that the power and internet occasionally goes out, especially when it rains. The rooms were kept clean, we always had towels. However, I cannot deal with 4 days of no hot water. Our last day we dove in the rain, took our surface interval in the rain, dove in the rain again, and rinsed our gear out in the rain. Back to the room, cold and shivering, I took a cold shower. Looking around the resort, it looks as though it is not being maintained as it was. And that makes me sad, because it is a beautiful location -- quiet, nice beach, reef right outside, animals roaming the grounds. I would love to return, but will watch the reports before I do.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2013 at 04:53 PM ----------

One day on the boat, an instructor came on board and suggested $5.00/tank and that we also tip the nitrox guy. We've never tipped the nitrox guy and never thought of that. As a group, we decided on a minimum of $10./ dayfor the boat (like the 20% you would tip in a restaurant), then that people should add whatever additional they wanted. We also tipped the maid, the kitchen, the women who waited on us, and the fellow in the kitchen who "took care of us." We tipped every few days. The last day he decorated our table with a St. Patrick's Day hat!

One day on the boat, an instructor came on board and suggested $5.00/tank and that we also tip the nitrox guy. We've never tipped the nitrox guy and never thought of that. As a group, we decided on a minimum of $10./ dayfor the boat (like the 20% you would tip in a restaurant), then that people should add whatever additional they wanted. We also tipped the maid, the kitchen, the women who waited on us, and the fellow in the kitchen who "took care of us." We tipped every few days.

Seems like a cumbersome solution.

My favorite Roatan resort suggests you leave 15% of the ground package as a single tip for the entire staff, about $175. Even the "nitrox" guy. They do not know who leaves what- or anything at all. You can also give DMs or Boatsmen extra if you like- we always drop another $50 to $75 to each of them. Other folks give maids/waitstaff extra. It is all an option, you hear about it on day one, it comes in you departure package on day six. Totally optional, totally anonymous.

I was on a well regarded and upscale Caribbean liveaboard. They mislaid my tip envelope and apparently had them marked so they knew who was tipping what. Their polite approach was, "was there something in specific that disappointed you about the voyage?". I looked at him quizzically, and about an hour later, they "found it". I have no idea if that was true or if they thought my tip was too light?

When I was on the last trips of the Nekton, I knew they weren't getting paid regularly, I threw down 1/2 the price of the trip. Sometimes you have to react to local conditions. Most better DMs who work (not mgmt) for fair resorts (all three of them) on Roatan, get about $50 a week, base pay. They don't need your used batteries, they need cash.

If they deserve it, tip the best you can. If the resort sucks but they're hitting their mark, don't punish them for that.

DandyDon, I appreciate your opinion, but in the last 8 years, when FI was this bad and much worse, you stood by it like a faithful soul. Get on back there and do a proper comparison by someone who has been there a lot.

So sad to hear that things are not changing for the better at FIBR, such fond memories, so many friends. If they could just learn from the example of the dive staff!

On Roatan, at Fantasy Island as I write this..On check in we discovered that the air conditioner was not operating properly. It was immediately fixed..Good job FI..Dive staff of boat capt and dm work hard to see that you have a great experience. Yes the resort could use some some work..But realize you are in a poor 3rd world country with limited resources. They usually do the best they can with what they have..Same people here saying all negative things would still complain about resort if it was all nice and shiny because then the expense to stay obviously would then be higher.."ooh its so expensive" would be their cry.
As long as the place is clean , diving good, food ok , then all is fine..No bugs in our room,maid service daily, what more can a person expect?

Yet another discussion about tipping and how absurd it's become! :silly:

My favorite Roatan resort suggests you leave 15% of the ground package as a single tip for the entire staff, about $175. Even the "nitrox" guy. They do not know who leaves what- or anything at all. You can also give DMs or Boatsmen extra if you like- we always drop another $50 to $75 to each of them. Other folks give maids/waitstaff extra. It is all an option, you hear about it on day one, it comes in you departure package on day six. Totally optional, totally anonymous.
I hate that. Maybe it's me & my problems, I'm not saying it's wrong, but I hate it. Pay the employees decent rates, charge what you need to to do so, and let my tips be gratuities instead of such exceptions or needs. Pay the nitrox guy what you should for being too cheap to get a system that gets your nitrox right without juggling. Since it's optional, I bet a lot of visitors skip it or go light.

When I was on the last trips of the Nekton, I knew they weren't getting paid regularly, I threw down 1/2 the price of the trip. Sometimes you have to react to local conditions. Most better DMs who work (not mgmt) for fair resorts (all three of them) on Roatan, get about $50 a week, base pay. They don't need your used batteries, they need cash.
Hate that too. Sad that they weren't getting paid, but a contracted customer shouldn't feel the need to make up for the owners being crooks. I guess I should give you a medal :medal: for being so generous, but I'd just not patronize known crooks.

If they deserve it, tip the best you can. If the resort sucks but they're hitting their mark, don't punish them for that.
I guess I should feel sorry for the poor souls born Honduran, but tipping is just not the same as American aid to me. Yes, tip - but not with the idea of fixing their lives.

DandyDon, I appreciate your opinion, but in the last 8 years, when FI was this bad and much worse, you stood by it like a faithful soul. Get on back there and do a proper comparison by someone who has been there a lot.
That's a gross misrepresentation I think. I have enjoyed FI three times in 11 or 12 years and have made some comments from limited experiences, but I see & hear too much to be very supportive. I think you CCVnuts are tunnel visioned at times, that's up to y'all. CCV company handled the CO disaster very poorly in my opinion - my biggest complaint about CCV back then, in several ways, but that was long ago and I understand they did replace their compressors and blenders with much better systems, with CO monitors - so I hope that was a disaster that lead to a better system that has been maintained well. Nonetheless, any safe diver needs to check each & every tank for CO - anywhere, IMO - as past performances are no guarantee for future safety. I know that most don't, but their calls are their risks.

On Roatan, at Fantasy Island as I write this..On check in we discovered that the air conditioner was not operating properly. It was immediately fixed..Good job FI..Dive staff of boat capt and dm work hard to see that you have a great experience. Yes the resort could use some some work..But realize you are in a poor 3rd world country with limited resources. They usually do the best they can with what they have..Same people here saying all negative things would still complain about resort if it was all nice and shiny because then the expense to stay obviously would then be higher.."ooh its so expensive" would be their cry.
As long as the place is clean , diving good, food ok , then all is fine..No bugs in our room,maid service daily, what more can a person expect?
A good attitude, :thumb: but a hot shower is a necessity at a property that bills itself as a Dive Resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom