Fantasy Island, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Nov 98 just as Huricane Mitch departed, I showed up in Guanaja. Every palm tree was completely denuded of leaves. I had been diving there only in the late 80's into 1994- the 98 trip was to find a lost ship.

I have had well qualified reports that the uw terrain is looking fine. There was very limited siltation - and that's the big reef killer.

Read the hotlink in my post above- diving on Guanaja is somewhat similar to Roatan in some ways due to wind, wave and storm action. The video referenced above by Grantwiscour as "caverns" are actually shallow coral heads resting on sand- found on the North shore when weather permits.

i sincerely wish I had the time and a young man's physical strength to complete such a true adventure trip. I'd be there next week!

As to Lionfish, I imagine that you'll see lots of them everywhere in the Caribbean. If the area is well culled by DMs, that lasts until 2 weeks of non-fishing, and then back to the "new normal". With the lack of divers on the reef of Guanaja, you might witness a more natural progression of this invasive critter. The zombie apocalypse might have a different and unsuspected outcome?

Last edited:
I'm so bad at math.

Guanaja may have been on my radar a bit longer than 14 years ago, inasmuch as I was diving Cozumel when Mitch hit. Or should I say, we'd been diving when suddenly called out of the water due to port closure. 10's of 1000s of tourists headed for the airport(s) in the Yucatan trying to get home. My buds and I decided to ride it out. We were very glad we did and had a few adventures. However, ignorance was bliss in those days before results of Mitch were known to me. Or Katrina or Keith . . . Don't know that I would make the same decision today.

I was on Ambergris Caye shortly after Keith and so know of what you speak. Everything stripped bare and torn asunder. Reef was also in sad shape particularly out at the Atolls. Closer in had only barely begun to recouperate from Mitch.

But I digress, uh, where was I? Oh yeah, last year shortly after one of my Roatan trips, the non-diving buddy that hadn't been able to join me due to illness, had the good fortune of another opportunity to visit Roatan. On that trip she and her friends had the unexpected pleasure of a side trip to Guanaja. She said it was one of the most beautiful places she had ever been. This may mean more when noted that my friend, a New Yorker, has done much traveling and is now an expat living on Ambergris Caye Belize.

Reactions: Doc
6731622:
I'm so bad at math.

Don't feel bad, that's why I edited that post 72 minutes later. Getting old is only good for the senior discounts.

Don't feel bad, that's why I edited that post 72 minutes later. Getting old is only good for the senior discounts.
Just had my Birthday here last night..62yrs ...here at Fantasy island..room is clean..no bugs.maid service daily..food is standard all inclusive type.Ok ..
we are getting in 4 dives a day.short boat rides..I have 20 people in my group that I am leading out of the LDS I teach out of..EVERYONE is pleased with the resort and the diving.
People. this is a resort on a island with poor infrastructure..The staff here does all they can to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. Will post photos when I get a chance.

Happy birthday! Glad you and your group are having a good time! Looking forward to the pics.

Back
Top Bottom