Favorite dive sites around Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your best bet for the "wow" factor of big animals and large numbers would be a dive at Cantarell while the Eagle Rays are schooling. We saw forty or more a year ago in December. Went back in February and only saw a few. Otherwise, as others have said, the "wow" factor in Cozumel is usually the reef structure and the clarity of the water. I've seen larger schools of grunts and snappers in other places, like Cancun and Playa del Carmen, but have often seen very large animals in Coz. As Mike noted, the French Angels seem particularly large and numerous. Coz is the only place I have ever seen an entire school of Grey Angels, and Queen Angels are much more common in Coz than most other places. I've seen some huge terminal phase Rainbow Parrotfish and Midnight Parrotfish, which are pretty spectacular. We're starting to see big Black Groupers and Yellowfin Groupers. I say "wow" when I see 8 or 10 of them on one dive. I would consider a huge old loggerhead turtle, like the one we saw last year at Columbia Shallows, a "wow." I've seen lots of "wow" small stuff, but if you're not into macro life, that doesn't help you much. My favorite sites would be Columbia Shallows, Columbia Deep, Barracuda, Punta Sur, Cantarell (but only when the Eagle Rays are schooling), Maracaibo Shallows, Marcaibo Arch (Los Arcos), Palancar Bricks, Paso del Cedral, and Paradise (when it's crawling with octopus at night, or in the afternoon, when our group of four can have the whole thing to ourselves and hunt blennies, seahorses, pipefish, pipe horses, and other little critters.). Of course, many of these sites can only be visited in the right weather and current conditions. Dive site choice on any particular day depends on the conditions and the skills and experience of the people in your group.

I could care less about reef structure and swim-throughs, though I know that's a big draw for many to Cozumel. Of all the sites I've dove there, Columbia Shallows is the only site that has truly "wowed" me.

My post above wasn't (only) smart-arsed. I've been completely wowed at every dive site I can think of and occasionally a bit disappointed at some of my usual favorites. During my most recent trip, we went to Maracaibo three times and Paso del Cedral 5 times. Each time was different. Honestly, I can't say I've ever had a bad time at Maracaibo and it's one of my very favorites. However, if we have beginners on the boat or people who want to stay shallow I can have a great time at Paradise or someplace just hunting for tiny critters or seahorses in the grass.

Seriously, it's all good.

I could care less about reef structure and swim-throughs, though I know that's a big draw for many to Cozumel. Of all the sites I've dove there, Columbia Shallows is the only site that has truly "wowed" me.

I'm just the opposite, which illustrates the folly in asking/answering the question.

PS That being said, Columbia Shallows is also on our must do list.

Last edited:
I've only done 11 dives in Cozumel, on 10 sites. Cedral Wall had the most amazing life, Santa Rosa wall the most beautiful formations.

I'd dive any of the sites again in a heartbeat- there wasn't a bad one.

Hands down Maracaibo, I'd go there every dive if possible and then any Palancar :D

I'm just the opposite, which illustrates the folly in asking/answering the question.

PS That being said, Columbia Shallows is also on our must do list.
Swimthroughs are fun and I've had a lot of fun diving swimthroughs. But lately I get my jollies shooting pics and swimthroughs and reef structure don't make for the prettiest pics IMO, especially since I prefer shooting macro. Still, I endure the terrain dives in order to get a few nice shots on the second dive. Cozumel has very clear water, lots of fish, and with one or two flights in a day on United, it's very accessible. I would much rather be diving the Galapagos or Indonesia, but for a quick trip to the Caribbean, Cozumel satisifies all sorts of desires and is hard to beat.

Hands down Maracaibo, I'd go there every dive if possible and then any Palancar :D

The one time I went to Maracaibo, I liked it the least of any Coz dive site I have been to. DSFDF.

The one time I went to Maracaibo, I liked it the least of any Coz dive site I have been to. DSFDF.

I need to try Maracaibo again. The last time I was there a parasite was starting to have negative effects over me and I thought I was going to need to perform the Warhammer maneuver the entire dive. Needless to say it was a very uncomfortable dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom