Favorite dive sites around Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I have a trip booked Feb.8-15, and am looking for any recommendations you might have for dive sites around Cozumel. I have dove Yukab, Santa Rosa and Paradise but that was 8 years ago. Recently I have been diving in Hawaii, Fiji, the Philippines, and was at Sipadan in Sept.
I'm looking for some variety, the possibility of seeing some big stuff - sharks, rays, etc, maybe some big schools. Basically I'm looking for some dive sites that have that wow factor. I realize I've been spoilt by some of the diving I've done recently, and I'm hoping Cozumel has some diving that will surprise me! Any advice or recommendations you can give me are greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your help.

Columbia Shallows is the only site that truly wows me, but my priorities/preferences are warped by previous experiences.

My favourites are all the Palancar and Columbia sites. Without fail I dive Devils Throat every chance I get. I'm not saying this to rekindle the whole Devils Throat thread over again but I access the risks of this dive as minimal if taken seriously. There is plenty to see, the formations are beautiful and it is far from barren of sealife to enjoy. Villa Blanca appeals to me as you can cruise the wall or stay up on the flats. Plenty to see and often something to find( although I never have but I have seen pull up all kinds of booty). Barracuda is a blast and I'd be willing to do that as often as I could but opportunities are limited. I suggest letting your dive op know if you're interested in the more advanced site so they may be able to collect some like minded folks to fill the boat. On serval occasions I've campaigned fellow guests or divers and as long as weather permits the op was always more than happy to go anywhere the customers want as long as they were qualified obviously. Enjoy Coz, fortunately life in town is as much fun as the dives. Excellent place to spend your hard earned holiday money.

Of course I like all the palancars and Columbia deep and shallows. But we dove cedral wall a couple times last week and they were great dives. Tons of turtles and sharks.

Try diving north. Barracuda, San Juan , Canterel are all great sites. February is prime time to see Eagle Rays in Cozumel.

My definite favorite is Palancar Caves - to me, it has everything, soaring and majestic coral structure, abundant sea life, the chance to see some of the bigger critters - I've seen juvenile Black Tip Reef Sharks on at least three dives there, and several nurse sharks sleeping in the sand in the canyons that open up in the wall -- interesting swim-throughs, and, at the deep end, the wall. I also love both Columbia Deep and Columbia Shallows, Palancar Bricks, Santa Rosa Wall (especially when you can see majestic Spotted Eagle Rays soaring up the wall), Punta Tunich, and the night dives on Paradise. But I can't remember a bad dive on Cozumel, except for one trip to Barracuda when the vis was awful and the current was running at about 5 knots - I aborted that dive, it just was NOT fun for me, and if I'm not enjoying the dive, I see no reason to extend it.

PS -- I also really like Cedral - there were times when I've seen a lot of Turtles and Morays on Cedral.

Maracaibo Shallows is my wow dive. But again, different things wow different people. Up north are some other fun dives. Make sure you book with an OP that will do both of the extreme ends of the island.

Anything with Palancar in the name.....

Back
Top Bottom