Fee for 2nd checked bag on US Airways and Delta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double "D"

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry if this has already been discussed. But, I heard that US Airways and Delta are thinking about charging 25 dollars for any bags checked beyond 1????? This could be a potentially big deal for those of us who travel to dive. Anybody hear anything else about this story? thanks.

How much stuff do you take? A weeks worth of warm water gear and clothes(few shorts, tshirts, one pair long slacks-which you wear on the plane and one other casual shirt) should fit in a carryon and one good sized checked bag. I even went to Monterey for 5 days and took the dry suit. It still all fit in the above. If you need more than that you're probably taking too much stuff. The other alternative is to go with a non diver as well and cram stuff in their bags.

Using :search: on this forum only to seek *bag* you find a few discussions...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...2771-us-air-new-baggage-fees-all-flights.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...sions/222343-united-limiting-you-one-bag.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...0-united-begin-charging-extra-second-bag.html

There may be more on other forums even tho this seems the logical one. Really, the change seems fair; I just hope it wpon't be very expensive.

personally if it ensures that my bags will arrive with me, undamaged and nothing missing then i would be happy to pay an extra $25 - but i doubt this is the case

anyways i usually make the limit without any problems. 20kgs limit, 18kgs worth of gear, 2 tees, pair of cossies & a pair of reg-grundys and a sarong is all i need :wink:

....anyways i usually make the limit without any problems. 20kgs limit, 18kgs worth of gear, 2 tees, pair of cossies & a pair of reg-grundys and a sarong is all i need :wink:
Can you please come to my place and teach my wife how to pack for a trip.:blinking:

I can get all of my dive gear plus some clothing into a single bag. My camera gear takes up the carry-on. I then have the small "personal bag" thing for essential stuff.

anyways i usually make the limit without any problems. 20kgs limit, 18kgs worth of gear, 2 tees, pair of cossies & a pair of reg-grundys and a sarong is all i need :wink:

English please! :wink:

English please! :wink:
cossie = bathing suit (unless you are from queensland and then they are called togs)
reg-grundys = underwear :wink:

Can you please come to my place and teach my wife how to pack for a trip.:blinking:

I can get all of my dive gear plus some clothing into a single bag. My camera gear takes up the carry-on. I then have the small "personal bag" thing for essential stuff.
oh, i forgot to say i pack a toothbrush also! no hair products, no extra clothing (you can buy tees while your there), no makeup or hair tongs, and leave as much stuff as you can when you leave the island (ie, unwanted gear for dive crew, tees for the staff ect)

maybe its just me and my standards are low :D

Hello: A number of times I travel on business, combine the trip with scuba, and thus need a 2nd checked bag for necessary clothing, gear, etc. The new airline polices, effective in May for a number of airlines, also change the policy regarding ski bags, which some airlines prior to the new policies, did not even count as a 3rd bag. No exception for sporting equipment in most new airline policies.

The Colorado and Utah travel groups are trying to get that changed because of the equipment and clothing requirements most have for a week long family ski vacation. ( 2 Bags and a Ski Bag could cost you an extra $100 per offense) Also fly fishermen, who carry rods of minimal weight, are complaining.

Perhaps Scuba related groups should have their voices heard in concert with other such sporting groups.

John

I personally think it's a negative that the airlines are starting to charge this since they have a poor track record. Also, I really don't see how you can go on vacation for 7 to 8 days and not have to pack a second checked bag if you are traveling with your dive gear. If you have camera gear some of this stuff packs in hard cases etc. I can't imagine wearing the same t-shirt, shorts, underwear in a tropical environment for multiple days. But that's just me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom