Fewer new divers, aging diver demographics, what to do about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a relief, all you folks must be in the under 20 year old range. Nothing to worry about seeing so many middle aged and older folks on dive charters compared to years past then. I started 40 years ago this August, dino-divers here I come. There is this statistic about 5% of new divers being 20 years or younger though. Good thing it is a myth and all is good with our sport and ocean awareness now and well into the future.

Geriatric divers? I confess to being one...or at least headed there in a big hurry.

In this country, it's just part of the whole "end of the baby boom bubble" thing...less kids with more choices equals less going in to diving. Hunting and fishing groups are having the same discussion.

Don't have a solution for the aging diving population. They could try the Eskimo approach of pushing us out to sea on an iceberg...but we'd probably just swim back and bring whale photos..

My sweetie is going to be 70 in a couple months and is just getting certified. I didn't think about the walker/cane specialty. Can fins be adapted to them so he won't have to use his feet? He still has his own teeth, but I don't know if they're firm enough to hold a dive propeller in them. Whatever shall we do???

It's just way too expensive for most young people already burdened by debt

My sweetie is going to be 70 in a couple months and is just getting certified. I didn't think about the walker/cane specialty. Can fins be adapted to them so he won't have to use his feet? He still has his own teeth, but I don't know if they're firm enough to hold a dive propeller in them. Whatever shall we do???

What the hell are you doing to the old guy???:confused::confused::confused:

There is nothing wrong with older divers in the sport, in fact even more would be better! When I was a kid, I read about Pacific Islanders free diving to 60 ft. at 65 years and resolved to be able to do the same if I could. Now I think I may have set the bar at too easy a level. Let you know in another 12 years. Being vital and active throughout life is an excellent goal at all ages.

The post and the problem deals with the apparent low percentage of young entrants into the sport, kids. This problem existed before the recession although the lack of funds has likely made things a bit worse. I think the greatest problem may be in youth's perception of the sport and lack of interest. Branding and peer perception of activities are very powerful with our youth. Just look at the success of surf clothing vs. surfboard sales. The "cool factor" is a huge motivator. For whatever reason, surfing is cool and diving may be seen as less so? Aging demographics aren't unique to diving as has already been pointed out and other sports have similar problems although not all. These folks came up with one approach that is worth looking over hence this post.

The post and the problem deals with the apparent low percentage of young entrants into the sport, kids. I think the greatest problem may be in youth's perception of the sport and lack of interest. Branding and peer perception of activities are very powerful with our youth. Just look at the success of surf clothing vs. surfboard sales. The "cool factor" is a huge motivator. For whatever reason, surfing is cool and diving may be seen as less so? QUOTE]

And I should be concerned about this.....why?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom