Fewer new divers, aging diver demographics, what to do about it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To fully involve the under 30 crowd, you need:
1. Starbucks dive gear.
2. Nitrox app for your smart phone (with 4G service you can get custom mixes)
3. 3D dive masks that make you think you are actually there - oh skip this , I guess you are??? Well, maybe not as nice as 3D
4. Give up on the buddy thing - that sounds too much like a commitment:D
5. Dare I say Bluetooth???:D No wait that's beoming a geezer thing. Unsightly it is...
6. I-Pad Dive computer that will let you surf the internet, load your facebook with photos realtime, chat on scuba board, and other stuff besides really diving.

Oh, there was some other meaning...:doh: Oh, forget what I said. I mean I have never gone in my wetsuit ONCE (well maybe twice, 5-6 times, well...)

just read my signature.....:shocked2:

but seriously, this is a sport of maturity..... the concepts, money, dedication: it all means that kids most likely aren't the solution. Sorry, but that spells doom to your ideals. Example: Two 15 year olds just perished in the Pacific.... I'm a cold water diver who could care less about surf or a surf board (The Great Lakes is my home, and with the economy, and the TSA, I'm not going anywhere warm to visit). Maybe on your coast it sells, but the surfing in the Great Lakes isn't going to be a sales pitch. And, as I said before, the certification agencies aren't helping. Neither are the manufacturers. Don't pick on the users, do something with the "sales agents". Again, this isn't for the young.....

The concepts of the sport are not geared for the immature. Sorry, but it is the truth. And yes, I have a child whom I cannot wait to show her the wonder of the aquatic world. She just isn't ready, nor are most......

go ahead, fire away........................

I started at 14, did about 100 air deco dives before I turned 18. Lots of deep air bounce dives on a bunch of walls in my teens. It was early in deep air diving but despite that we managed to learn a good deal. These are things that fell into disfavor and for good reason years after of course. I even learned before I turned 18 how going for depth in and of itself was a dumb idea. Started doing research diving at 16, commercial and salvage diving not much after. It helped that I sought out and made friends of research and commercial divers in Ft. Lauderdale to keep developing knowledge and skills. The trends continued for many more years and gave me a strong boost into future pursuits. It was a great opportunity, one I am very grateful for. I don't think I was anything particularly special either. There were other young guys doing similar things. The opportunity was there, the interest was encouraged and the rest came naturally. There were lots of younger divers in those days, then again it was earlier in the evolution of the sport. Teens aren't the only solution to keeping the sport around in a healthy state but they are an important component that seems to be slipping. The sport needs all ages, I am just suggesting to keep encouraging the under 20 crowd. The group sounds like a tough sell from reports, still I believe it is worth pursuing in creative ways.

Thank goodness. If we could now just few more of the old buzzards to die, my favourite sites would start becoming less crowded...

That last post was just interesting enough to make me look at your last 50 posts. After reading the entire collection, I'm going to conclude from that body of work that you're an experienced and urbane fellow with an especially dry and perhaps quirky wit.

But I had to look at the picture in it's entirety to make up my mind.

(Signed)

An old buzzard

Last edited:
I don't know about the walker/cane idea, but as an old guy with arthritis and two artificial hips, I can tell you that the only time that I don't ache somewhere is when I am underwater.

Yeah, the "not aching under water" thing is a plus, but I sure seem to garner an awful lot of sympathy as I *exit* the water. :D

Kevin
Advil addict

I am 52 just got certified sept 2010 , along with my mother in law 72 and my oldest daughter and son in law early thirtys. I have 15 grandchildren 1 is 9 and she is very excited about getting certified and diving.

Hey, I've done MY part... I produced a son who is a diver. He and his wife produced a granddaughter who will become a diver (assuming she is interested). We need to pass on the SCUBA gene to the coming generations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom