Fiji Dive Site/Dive Operation Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphRocky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry to make another post about where to stay and dive in Fiji. I’ve read most of the threads on the subject on this forum, but still need some advice.

July 2014, I’m travelling to Fiji. I’m primarily interested in diving---great diving sites and a good dive operation (good boats, good dive masters, consistently enough divers to run dedicated dive boats and hopefully enough to separate the new from the experienced) will make up for average accommodations.

I’m planning on diving Bligh Water and Taveuni and I’m looking for a suggestion to round out my trip. I thought about diving Beqa Lagoon with Beqa Lagoon Resort, but I’ve read mixed reviews about the dive sites and dive operation. I’m not sure it’s worth spending 7 days there. Perhaps I should dive Beqa Lagoon for just a few days with Aqua Trek?

I also considered diving from Naigani Island, but again, I’ve read some mixed reviews, namely about the dive operation and not consistently having enough divers.

Namena seems like a great place to dive, but Moody’s is out of my price range. Some dive operations out of Savusavu dive Namena, but I’m not sure it’s worth diving Savusavu hoping to get to Namena.

Edit: After reading some posts, I'm adding Kadavu/Ono Island. It seems people recommend either Mai Dive or Matava Resort. Does anybody have up-to-date information on the diving there? I've read it's very weather dependent. Considering the time I'll be there (July), what's the likelihood of getting good weather?

I appreciate any information.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Hi Jack, It is quite a confusing destination. But it is one where in some places the diving is great and in others it is rubbish, so you need to choose carefully. When it comes to resorts, we recommend (for good reason) 3 places: Taveuni, Kadavu and Viti Levu. The first 2 are the places we think you should plan to spend most of your time. They deliver a good variety of quality dive sites. Pin on a bit of shark diving action at Pacific Harbour/Beqa and you have done Fiji right. So I would suggest you narrow down your thought to those places.

If you can do it...figure out a way to get to Namena. Looks like a brilliant trip.

I'm dying to dive Namena. Problem is, Moody's is just too expensive for me. I've been in contact with them, and they may start offering daily trips from Savusavu to the reef. The trip is weather dependent and I've been told that trade winds in July are rather unpredictable so hopefully I'll get lucky.

Hi Jack,

You might want to check out Wananavu Beach Resort, northern tip of Vitu Levu. I was at Wananavu Dec.2012, and had an amazing time!! The location is a little hard to get to, a very bumpy hour and a half drive from the airport but well worth the effort!! The bures are fantastic to stay in, and the food was very good, and I'm a picky eater!! The diving was excellent! Lots of cool things to see from the "big stuff" turtles, sharks, schools of fish to great macro and fantastic corals! Hopefully Chris and Vicky still run the dive shop, they did a fantastic job when I was there!
Here are a few recommendations:
- Ask for Esa to be your dive master, he is the most relaxed, easy going dm, a pure joy to dive with!
-Ask to go to the following dive sites: Heartbreak Ridge, Black Magic Mountain (some current but well worth the effort when you see the "fish highway"), Mellow Yellow (stay on top of the pinnacle for your safety stop and watch all the different clown fish in the anemones!), and Potluck.
-Have the pizza for supper!!
-Ask for a beach front bure!

I have also been to Waidroka Bay Resort a couple of years ago, it is located in the south of Vitu Levu. The accommodations and food were not very good, but things might have changed as there have been managerial/staff changes since I was there in 2010. As for the dive operation I'm not sure what you would get as everything has changed since I was there...however if they still have Ponti as the boat captain and go to some of the same dive sites then the diving was very good!! Diving on frigates passage was amazing, it's a bit of a long boat ride out to the dive sites about 1 hour but well worth it!!

Anyways, hope this helps!! Good luck planning your trip!!!

Another vote for Wananavu Beach Resort.

Kadavu and the Great Astrolabe!! Taveuini as well. I used to like the diving out of Ovalau (former capital of Fiji) as well, but I hear that there is no longer a dive op there? I would give Beqa a miss...

Back
Top Bottom