Fiji, Vanuatu and Australia in April-May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
(I apologize for re-posting, but I posted to the main forum for this region and it was suggested that I post in the Pacific Islands subgroup to reach out to people who frequent these areas. Looking forward to hearing from you! ~Karen)

Hi diving friends!

This is my first post. I am a fairly new diver- open water certified last year before going to Belize (I know, I'm spoiled, Belize was my first "real" diving experience- does it get any better than that?!)

I am a 27 year old female, and I am planning a solo 5 week backpacking trip in April-May of this year. I'm basically looking for any advice regarding safety (especially with regards to solo female travel), tips for the regions I am visiting, where to go/stay, must-do activities and most of all- diving tips!

I am starting with 9 days in Fiji on the Tuitai liveaboard. I know that there are mixed reviews on this forum regarding that liveaboard, but I felt like most of the recent reviews I read were pretty positive. Anyone have firsthand experience they are willing to share? I chose it over the Nai'a because I liked that there was a balance of land activities with up to 19 dives (and several night dives!) The cost was also significantly cheaper. There was one review regarding bad air quality in the tank (!), but it seems like that was a fluke because the compressor broke and they had to get air from one of the islands. I've been emailing the owner of the liveabord and he has been very responsive/seemingly upfront about the negative events that have been discussed on the forum.

After Fiji, I am going to Vanuatu for 6 days. I know I want to see the active volcano but no other solid plans here yet. Has anyone ever been here? I've read that the diving is so-so.

Lastly, I'll be in Australia for 18 days: Brisbane, sailing in the Whitsunday islands, Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney. I've heard that the best place to dive the Great Barrier Reef is Cairns, but I am considering adding a couple dives during the sail in the Whitsundays. Thoughts on this? Is it worth it? I have also seen videos of cage diving to see great whites in southern Australia- while absolutely terrifying, it looks somewhat intriguing. Evidently they use sound waves to attract the sharks. Does this mess with the local ecosystem at all? I don't want to participate in something that is going to actively harm the reefs. It also seems really dangerous...but, you only live once, right?

Well, thanks for reading if you'd made it this far. I am incredibly excited for my trip but also a bit nervous to be doing such an adventurous/involved trip to remote areas alone. I'd welcome any advice at all that you may be willing to share with me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Gidday. Ive been lucky enough to have dived a fair bit around the pacific.
Ive dived Fiji and Vanuatu (based in Vila)
I'll be honest with you after doing 19 dives in Fiji I think if you just do random dives in Vanuatu you will be very disapointed.There is sealife but nothing quite as intense as Fiji.
I'll qualify this by saying I'm assuming you are basing yourself at Vila. BUT if you cherry pick your dives there I can honestly say you will have FANTASTIC diving.
Some you won't be able to do due to qual level.
the coolich wreck is a stunning place to dive but is another hours flight from Vila. Also sorry for passing judgement -I don't feel its a dive site for an inexperienced diver
Now I'd STRONGLY suggest you diveing with the Big Blue vanuatu.
With THEM the dives I would do would be the Semille wreck.Its a 100 foot boat still in great condition and the dive groups are broken up into various experience levels so no need to worry about going into the wreck if you don't feel like it.
I'd also do the cathedral which is "kinda" a cave dive -Its a cave dive only in the broadest sense of the word. The "cave" is in12m of water and goes about 60m/180 feet deep -from top to bottom its 30 feet at the smallest section. --pretty impressive.
If you ever felt like trying a night dive these guys run a pretty slick dive to a nice easy dive site called twin bommies. Nice easy diving and the sealife at night is well worth seeing
Now if you walk maybee 200m from Big blue onto the main road there is a company who have a one day/2 tank dive you can do. Its a turtle/shark encounter dive and frankly is just fantastic.
One last note on the the specifically diving front.about 10 minutes by bus away from vila is a resort based on a small island.
If you go there they have an underwater post office. Kinda cool gimmick. You snorkle down to it and post your post cards in the box or get it franked by the postmaster there-as in 10 feet underwater.
I can offer you lots of other advice re vanuatu if its any use to you

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom