Fin Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen DIR divers use a variety of fins. The vast majority prefer Jet fins, but if you have another stiff paddle fin that you can use to effectively fin (frog, mod flutter, backwards, etc) go for it. No one will make fun of you or issue you a DIR ticket :wink:

I just did another round in the pool last night with my quattros and my friend's Jets. I still don't see a difference for the most part. My Fundies ocean dives are this weekend, so I'll have more info after that.

It's strange trying to do the backward kick in the pool - I'm equally bad in both sets of fins. The strange part is I was doing a great backward kick a few weeks ago in Cozumel, holding myself against the current while taking photos, but now I can't do it to save my life. By "great backward kick" I don't mean the form (I'm sure I was a gross Rule 6 violation), but the speed I could get. Sometimes the current in Coz was rippin', and I could backwards kick against it just fine. Must be something about the water... :wink: Or maybe now that I'm trying to "do it right", I can't do it at all... :(

radinator:
I just did another round in the pool last night with my quattros and my friend's Jets. I still don't see a difference for the most part. My Fundies ocean dives are this weekend, so I'll have more info after that.

It's strange trying to do the backward kick in the pool - I'm equally bad in both sets of fins. The strange part is I was doing a great backward kick a few weeks ago in Cozumel, holding myself against the current while taking photos, but now I can't do it to save my life. By "great backward kick" I don't mean the form (I'm sure I was a gross Rule 6 violation), but the speed I could get. Sometimes the current in Coz was rippin', and I could backwards kick against it just fine. Must be something about the water... :wink: Or maybe now that I'm trying to "do it right", I can't do it at all... :(

Back kicks take practice and perserverance. One of the most frustrating (for me) parts of learning the skill was that I'd do it perfectly one day and go out the next and "see saw" back and forth. It took some time to learn how to position my fins just right (feeling like I was pointing them down ... which in reality only feels that way) before I got to the point where I could consistently move myself backward.

I'm currently considering trading in my Jets for a lighter set of fins for warm water, and one of the things I'm most concerned with is that I don't want to give up the ability to back kick with a different set of fins. FWIW - I currently use Turtles for cold-water diving and Jets for my warm-water trips.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom