Final UTD report 10/8 to 10/11...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like teams of 2 or 3 - but have enjoyed diving with 3, one reason is that there is an extra resource if something were to go wrong.

I have watched this video a dozen times, and I keep going back to it, to see the importance of a team of three divers. Please pay attention to when the free flow starts and the panic sets in, diver A swims over to the panicked diver's manifold to correct the problem while diver B stays in face contact with the stressed diver. You can even see the panic diver push away the diver in front of him, and then when he regains composer gives him the okay. What I like is that even though the panic diver pushes him, diver B stays...

Please keep in mind that I am in no way affiliating this video to proper trim and bouyancy, what I am presenting here is that "PANIC" can form at any time for any reason. Here it begins while a drill is performed on a valve. What I see is assistance to the diver and nothing more or less. Kristina asked about the 3 diver approach, this is one example of having two other divers present in a panic situation.

Last edited:
I have watched this video a dozen times, and I keep going back to it, to see the importance of a team of three divers.

Please keep in mind that I am in no way affiliating this video to proper trim and bouyancy, what I am presenting here is that "PANIC" can form .

WTH?! These divers trim/propulson looks about like yours did @ our first BW pratice session months ago! On their knees in 100+ ft 41F water doing drills crashing into each?? They are making me nervous!

It would be cool if someone posts a utd/gue trio doing similar drills just for comparison!

Mike, pat youself on the back! After our UTD class, you're trim/propulsion technique is already SOO much better than these guys!

Last edited:
Before I lead into the class report I should mention that purchasing plumber tools will not make you a plumber. I thought, if I look the part I will fit in, how hard is it? I was wrong, the equipment doesn’t make the diver, in fact it’s the training classes in the arts of DIR via UTD/GUE that create a balanced effective safe diver.

Mike,

I'm really glad that you've realized this. I think that the gear is the least important aspect but one that a lot of people get too hung up on. Skills and mindset are what make you a thinking diver so please take what you learned and apply it to your diving choices and practices.

Congratulations and good luck in your diving.

Ben

Here is a UTD team on youtube, propulsion and trim are stellar.... And yes they are very deep, 200 feet...

I'm not sure that finning technique would come naturally for me. Looks tough, something tells me I would be making the movements and not going anywhere.

Kristina,

It comes naturally as you are taught the technique and it becomes second nature, and it's benefical to the environment that you not kick it up... Very efficient, I wish I would've started kicking like that from day one.... But hey better late than never....

MG

I'm not sure that finning technique would come naturally for me. Looks tough, something tells me I would be making the movements and not going anywhere.

Nothing about diving cam naturally for me, I had to work for every inch of ground I gained.

But with a good attitude and a little effort, you can easily get this ...

No worries I didn't get very far first few times and I swore I was making the movements right. The first time I frog kicked myself headfirst into the bottom silt. It was quite a disaster.

But that's what we pay the bucks to instructors.
When Don's hands put my fins into the proper position & I actually felt the power in the kicks - felt those jets flex just right - it was sweet, sweet magic that continued through the weekend!!!

Now excited to see if I can repeat it all! Into the pool tomorrow!

Here is a UTD team on youtube, propulsion and trim are stellar.... And yes they are very deep, 200 feet...

Hey Mike -

Now those guys look much better :D:D!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom