Final UTD report 10/8 to 10/11...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing about diving cam naturally for me

I confirm. First time he tried frog kick it looked like cormorant with one leg paralyzed trying to swim forward really hard.

...I think I have some Fundies footage here somewhere.

Hey Nick beers are on you right buddy? :wink:

Ulp. I will give you anything you like! Haha, that was ugleeeeee

whats worse is that I think we never dived together since then :(

Yes Kathy,

Those guys are doing it right, I should hope because the video comes from AG...

Hey Ben,

Can you find your video and post it if you like? Would love to see anything you might have...

I hope Gombessa bumps my thread with some of his footage, his videos are awesome and follow great DIR protocol...

MG

Mike,
My Fundies video is locked deep in the bowels of the abyss... Only to be brought out to coax libations from my classmate LimeyX. If you are looking for divers excecuting DIR dives Nick can actually help you out with that. He has an excellent catalog of documented dives complete with music and in HD.

Meanwhile here's some videos to curb your appetite.

"IDIOSYNCRASIES OF RUSSINS DIVING"

Wooferbitch's Notes on Winter Diving

Yes Kathy,

Those guys are doing it right, I should hope because the video comes from AG...

Hey Ben,

Can you find your video and post it if you like? Would love to see anything you might have...

I hope Gombessa bumps my thread with some of his footage, his videos are awesome and follow great DIR protocol...

MG

Some other videos :)

- The "Diamond Knot" (Seattle)
Diamond Knot July 2009 - Website on Vimeo

- The "Sacramento" (Los Angeles)
Sacramento, The Wreck June 2009 - Website on Vimeo

- "Nohoch Na Chich" (Mexico)
Nohoch Charlie/Parker (Feb 2008) - Website on Vimeo

- The Grumman Goose Seaplane (Catalina)
Grumman Goose - Website on Vimeo

I couldn't get the frog kick until two things happened: One, I got rid of the flimsy plastic fins I was using (that weren't giving me enough feedback to know what I was actually DOING with my feet), and two, Steve got in the water with me and "patterned" my feet through the kick. Once I "got it", I had to polish it (and according to AG, haven't gotten there yet) but it never left. (Unlike the back kick, which to this day goes somewhere else from time to time :) )

I couldn't get the frog kick until two things happened: One, I got rid of the flimsy plastic fins I was using (that weren't giving me enough feedback to know what I was actually DOING with my feet), and two, Steve got in the water with me and "patterned" my feet through the kick. Once I "got it", I had to polish it (and according to AG, haven't gotten there yet) but it never left. (Unlike the back kick, which to this day goes somewhere else from time to time :) )

TSM,

I use XL Jet fins with springs on a size 9 rockboot. This makes for a large fin on such a small body, I am only 5'5...

Does it not matter on the size of the fin? I mean, I took a look at the Jet Fin size large and it's so much smaller than the XL Jet. But, the only problem is the Large Jet will not fit in my Rock boot...

Once again, does it matter or is it just a matter of practice and more practice, I do feel I'm gettin a little better becuase I'm practicing but will it come easier with a better ratio of fin to boot?

Thanks,

MG

Mike,
This is a great report. As I have dove with you quite a few times and having very similar diving experience and philosophy, I can almost relate to your experience. So far you have been "doing it right" by buying the rigt equipment and now you got to use them the proper way.
I think I have learnt few things from you so far and will probably learn few more things when I observe you next time we dive. I still remember when you showed me how to frog kick. It was actually very helpful when I dove in GBR hovering inches over the coral bed without creating any disturbances.
I think it will be good idea if you have some video of the training. Even the bloopers will be quite "educational".
Now try to make sure the training is ingrained in you. Instead of thinking about what you learned last week, enjoy the diving and let those training come to you naturally.
We can go for a boat dive when we dive.

Mainak

Regarding frog kick, I feel the fins matter to some degree. But what is critical is training the right muscles in the leg to kick. Flutter kick is the easiest because it is more natural for the leg muscles. Frog kick will be more effortless when you train the leg muscles to do that kick naturally. I can still remember when I could not swim on my back while doing the surface swim because my reverse kicks lacked power.
Although I have found that I can frog kick with better efficiency with my Mares Avanti fins compared to the Tusa liberator fins though they look almost similar. It may be due to flexibility of the material or something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom