Finally dove my Oxycheq setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats been DIR's and Halcyon's biggest shortcoming - arrogrance.

It's nice to see Oxy Cheq soon to become the new 'standard' of premium wings w/o all the hype.

Gee, maybe Patrick should design a new system of diving to go with his new wing - DIOC - Doing It with Oxy Cheq! Lets see, we'll have to have the full line to compliment as well - t-shirts, polo shirts, hats, hoses, lights, etc.

Here is my question - anyone dive the 50 or 70 doubles wing?

If the Oxycheq wing is better than the halcyon explorer, great. That gives people more choices to choose from. DIR is not about Halcyon gear, gear is just one part of the total system. I first had an old style DR classic wing, loved it until I put a hole in it - got a 65 lb. explorer to replace it and am really pleased with it. If I have a chance to try Patrick's wing, I will. If I need a new one and I like the wing - well, it allows me to look at a more options.

Eric

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
I notice in the DIR:F book GUE mentions bungeed wings (OMS shown specifically) as being non-DIR approved wing. However, I only see the brand name Halcyon as a DIR approved wing and not other brands such as Dive Rite or Abymal who also make non-bungeed wings. Slanted or what?

Well, let's think about this....you have your own line of gear and are writing a book on what you think are th best diving methods and principles out there....what gear are you going to show as an example to support your methods???

At any rate, I'm glad there are more wing options out there....frankly I don't think OMS has a singles wing out yet, and the Dive-rite ones looked goofy and odd-shaped to me...plus I don't see any advatage to a bungee....

I hope to be buying my first wing in Feb. with my annual Uncle Sam gift. The water is nice and cold by then so I will just be itching to dive come mid to late march.

My guess is that Halcyon (aka GUE) will have to find SOME reason on why the new Oxy Cheq wing ISN'T DIR-approved to protect thier own 'DIR approved' wing! A book revamp, perhaps?

I notice in the DIR:F book GUE mentions bungeed wings (OMS shown specifically) as being non-DIR approved wing. However, I only see the brand name Halcyon as a DIR approved wing and not other brands such as Dive Rite or Abymal who also make non-bungeed wings. Slanted or what?

Halcyon is toast! Long live Oxy Cheq!

;-)

I dive whatever is best for me, not what's others tells me is best. It's common sense.

What's more perfect that designing a diving system with your OWN brand of gear 'spected in?'

Its been fun watching members poke fun at OMS for over 2 yrs - but its even more fun now watching the 'tide' turn for Halcyon to Oxy Cheq.

My OMS wings don't have Bunjees and never did. OMS also makes them without bunjees.

DIR used to be ScubaPro MK20/G250's. Now it's APEKS. Halcyon makes neither.

They built the wings because at the time nobody had one like it. DiveRite classic was close but I don't think they had the Outlet at the top of the wing. Alot of DIR guy's used DiveRite Classics till they needed a new wing.

And They do know how to dive. Very well.

They recomend things and gear for a reason. They work. Slamming them is silly to me.

Like I said though. If the OxyCheq singles wing doesn't have the stabalizing rods. I'd still stick with my 27lb pioneer. I like not having the STA. Even though I have one sitting here. I don't use it. I like my tank as close to my back as possible.

I don't know about them leaking. Mine doesn't.

I'd like to see wings come out that are comparable or better. With a lower price. Halcyon is a little pricey for what they are.

I like the STA on my single setup.

It provides me another ~3lbs of weight, which is good. It makes the tank and BP stable and solid - which is good. And the slight additional offset keeps me from banging my head on the regulator, which is also good.

I tried the Pioneer STA-less, and didn't like it. With bolts the tank flopped, as the bolts interfered with it sitting flush and stable. Without bolts the entire pack was shakey until cinched down, and a real PITA to put together. And the tank, while right up against my back, put the reg right where it would prang my head every time I looked up.

Now if I was diving a Skin with my steels then I'd have a problem with weighting, but I don't. I dive a full 3 mil suit even in warm water, and with the BP+Wing+STA I need 2lbs of ditchable with a single HP steel, 6lbs with an AL80.

Either is easily manageable.

Wyno once bubbled...
Do you need a STA with the Oxycheq single wings?

You can always do that, that's why Patrick put the slots in the wings so they can be accomodated on many of the harness systems that do not need STA, just run the tank straps through the slots and have at it.

That's funny. I could have sworn that JJ dives Scuba Pro. I know for a fact that David Rhea dives Scuba Pro. George is an Apeks person but still uses Scuba Pro, Oceanic and is now testing Atomics.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

btw, for the person that asked, Halcyon makes their own wings in house.

I don't have problems with Oxycheq making wings and other things. If it is good, so be it. I hope the customer is happy with the product.

What did disturb me was speaking with Patrick at Our World Underwater. I needed a new O2 analyzer. My old one has seen better days. I have even purchased a replacement sensor from him in the past. I decided not to waste my time or money when the only thing he did was push his products by saying Halcyon gear was crap. Maybe if he spent more time presenting the positive side to his gear, he would have kept me as a customer. I know I won't be purchasing any analyzers from him in the future.

Mverick once bubbled...

DIR used to be ScubaPro MK20/G250's. Now it's APEKS.

Well Dan,
Seems the Halcyon boys have their tongue's in their cheeks this past week, eh? Mighty quiet on the DIR front this week reading all the Oxy Cheq reviews...

Perhaps Patrick was right, or so it seems reading these reviews lately. I haven't read ANY posts about Oxy Cheq's wings having pin holes or staple holes in them yet. Funny neither has OMS to date!

Wow, seems maybe Halcyon gear is no better than my OMS wings, eh? And I saved over $120 on my wings over Halcyon's.

Teach GUE to poke fun at OMS wings...whats that saying about 'Egg on your face?' Guess now GUE will have to edit their DIR:F book and now list the Oxy Cheq's as 'DIR approved.'

Hahaha. LOL.

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Here is my question - anyone dive the 50 or 70 doubles wing?

If the Oxycheq wing is better than the halcyon explorer, great. That gives people more choices to choose from. DIR is not about Halcyon gear, gear is just one part of the total system. I first had an old style DR classic wing, loved it until I put a hole in it - got a 65 lb. explorer to replace it and am really pleased with it. If I have a chance to try Patrick's wing, I will. If I need a new one and I like the wing - well, it allows me to look at a more options.

Eric

I dove a final prototype 70 and it performed as well as the Explorer. I didn't like the longer inflator hose, but that has been changed I understand. The construction quality was as good as Halycon, or better IMO.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom