Finding a dive buddy while traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the process of getting my OW certification. I will be traveling to Mexico (Playa/Cozumel area) in the Spring. My challenge is that I will be solo as far as certified divers go. How do I find a buddy to dive with once there? Is it usually easy to find someone else solo or is it advisable to try to arrange with someone prior to leaving?

No worries, The boat will hook you up with an "instabuddy". Only downside is that your instabuddy could range from great to dangerous. Most are OK, though this is a good time to remind you to stay within YOUR comfort zone.

Most of the boats I have been on buddy up those who need one. I think in Mexico they may also have a Dive master leading the dive and they will pair you up with him or her.

Have a great trip.

I imagine that it would be more of an issue if you are planning to shore dive, but I am not sure there is too much shore diving in Coz. I'm going there in December and I'm in a similar situation as you, not going with anyone else who dives, so I guess I'll find out then.

Yes, it will be no problem on a boat. Before my wife got certified I always was able to find buddies for shore diving by talking with people in the shop. You won't be the only one looking to dive.

Steve

I am in the process of getting my OW certification. I will be traveling to Mexico (Playa/Cozumel area) in the Spring. My challenge is that I will be solo as far as certified divers go. How do I find a buddy to dive with once there? Is it usually easy to find someone else solo or is it advisable to try to arrange with someone prior to leaving?

I assume you're planning to dive with a dive operation in which case they will hook you up with a buddy and a guide anyway. By the way, if you go to Playa you might try Dive Mike. They're a lot better than the cattle boats there.

I am also a solo traveller. Prior to leaving, I usually find some diving centres in the region of my holiday destination. Sometimes I'm in e-mail contact with them to establish the pick ups, prices, time, etc.

Then, on the boat, I'm usually buddied up with a diver of similar certification or experience. However, there were days where only beginners were on the boat - these were great dives because my buddy was my dive master!

So, do not worry, definately there will be somebody to dive with.

I never went solo, but one of my worries is that where Im a beginer I use up my air quicker than most so I guess you need to let your insta buddy know this up front. Anyone ever been paired up with someone like this? I may go on a trip next month any suggestions?

Doug

Thanks for the info - it seems as though most dive shops are located on Cozumel, and trying to catch the first ferry in the morning to make the dive boats is ridiculous. The only other time I went in Playa was with some seedy character. I strongly suspect he was drunk. :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom