Finning near the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will need to learn the frog kick. I have never dived force fins to comment on their ability to perform a frog kick. Splits don't work but I don't see why force fins wouldn't. This is the style we use in cave and wreck diving (actually only kick I use anymore). Here's a link to demonstrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frog Kick Video

I would assume your commanding officer/trainer would have good answers :D

Dave, good video. However, Spd 135's shows a bit of the silt out the wrong kick can cause if not using the proper propulsion method.

Dave, good video. However, Spd 135's shows a bit of the silt out the wrong kick can cause if not using the proper propulsion method.

I wish I could find the video (Atomic I think) that showed a split fin diver along the bottom, not making any silt.

Because of Force Fin's design and curved shape, I'd recommend a modified flutter as the non-silting kick.

With a frog kick, you're using the bottom of the fins for propulsion.

Force Fins are curved bottoms and this design is made to cut through the water. The Force Fin tops have the opposite effect. Because of the curve, they trap water (like a cup) and are effective in pushing large volumes.

With a mod flutter, you're using the top of the fins for propulsion.

That should be more effective.

Just be careful about foot angle. If you're ending your stroke so that the fin is horizontal, the ending force will be going directly into the ground.

Soakedlontra,
This video does not show the ankle flicking which I was referring to in my earlier replies to you, but I hope it is of some help.

I wish I could find the video (Atomic I think) that showed a split fin diver along the bottom, not making any silt.

I would love to learn some better techniques with split fins. I finally have my buoyancy in check again well enough to be inches off the bottom [yeah..] so photography has improved for distance... but now I'm making a mess silting the bottom up pretty bad impacting my photography worse than movement! Any good split fin techniques?

Back
Top Bottom